C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the NAV problem fixed at the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:45 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,517 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Dracla
If Harlan says it is fixed at the factory, then it must be. Either that or GM would need to replace him, and I'm guessing they would rather keep him around. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:00 PM
energystar
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of these days the car manufactures will wake up and forget about a lot of the stupid electronic gizmos and get back to building a car with gauges and just a very few other things or spend the money on quality equipment...I'm seriously looking at the Alfa Romeo 4C which comes without power steering and whose options are air conditioning and a radio with a signal speaker and a few other things...before you all jump all over me about this car, have a look at the car mags. that road test it..it is a driver's car in the real sense of the meaning...it's been called the baby Ferrari and to coin a phrase...goes like stink.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I was thinking that the NAV problem was the long poll in the tent, and these other issues would be fixed even sooner. I guess I'll just add them to my list of things to check when I take delivery.

And the 500 mile oil change is a given, but I'm hoping to avoid an extra trip to the dealer. In the mean time, my C6 runs perfectly with zero problems.
Glad to hear your C6 doesn't have any problems.

Now that you know you can get a C7 with a working Nav, and won't have to return for the fix, please let us know when you'll be picking it up.

Oops! I forgot to mention. GM has a Navigation Map Upgrade for the C7 now. Optional of course, but if you want the latest maps and POI's it will probably mean another trip to the dealer.

Last edited by Rave; 12-19-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Rave
Oh, don't forget to also ask about having to visit the dealer for its 500 mile oil change, the Emergency Brake Recall, overfilling of the engine oil issue, and possibly low fluid in the differential.
Care to elaborate on the areas I bolded? I'm not familiar with these potential issues. Either describe or URL please.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Care to elaborate on the areas I bolded? I'm not familiar with these potential issues. Either describe or URL please.
Certain C7 VIN's fall subject to the Emergency Brake Recall. Check here for your VIN: https://recalls.gm.com/#/ My 2015 C7 (purchased in late August) had to have this recall done. It involves something to do with the emergency brake cable(s) not be properly installed from the factory. It was a quick fix.

The issue involving low fluid in differential has been reported randomly by members of the various forums. If I remember correctly certain individuals reported a noisy differential. I had the fluid level on mine checked just to make sure. It was fine.

The issue involving over filling of the engine oil from the factory has also been mentioned randomly on various forums. GM recently released an notification about slightly reducing the oil level. I'm not 100% sure but this may only involve Z51's. Search for additional info.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by energystar
one of these days the car manufactures will wake up and forget about a lot of the stupid electronic gizmos and get back to building a car with gauges and just a very few other things or spend the money on quality equipment...I'm seriously looking at the Alfa Romeo 4C which comes without power steering and whose options are air conditioning and a radio with a signal speaker and a few other things...before you all jump all over me about this car, have a look at the car mags. that road test it..it is a driver's car in the real sense of the meaning...it's been called the baby Ferrari and to coin a phrase...goes like stink.
Have you checked out a used Lotus Exige? A friend of mine has one and it's a great driver's car with very little in the gizmo department.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Certain C7 VIN's fall subject to the Emergency Brake Recall. Check here for your VIN: https://recalls.gm.com/#/ My 2015 C7 (purchased in late August) had to have this recall done. It involves something to do with the emergency brake cable(s) not be properly installed from the factory. It was a quick fix.

The issue involving low fluid in differential has been reported randomly by members of the various forums. If I remember correctly certain individuals reported a noisy differential. I had the fluid level on mine checked just to make sure. It was fine.

The issue involving over filling of the engine oil from the factory has also been mentioned randomly on various forums. GM recently released an notification about slightly reducing the oil level. I'm not 100% sure but this may only involve Z51's. Search for additional info.
Hey thanks dude. Once I get home from work I'll take a look at that recall link with the VIN# for my vehicle. I already changed the oil and was familiar about the 1st issue. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Hey thanks dude. Once I get home from work I'll take a look at that recall link with the VIN# for my vehicle. I already changed the oil and was familiar about the 1st issue. Thanks.
No problem. Glad I could help.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:01 AM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this issue and the local dealer is NOT fixing it, nor is GM being helpful. You would think if they are now fixing this at the factory they would admit earlier builds had a problem.

I admit I'm curious to see if using the PDR clears the problem, even temporarily.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Default GPS/PDR problem

Originally Posted by Mike.dawson
I have this issue and the local dealer is NOT fixing it, nor is GM being helpful. You would think if they are now fixing this at the factory they would admit earlier builds had a problem.

I admit I'm curious to see if using the PDR clears the problem, even temporarily.
My PDR says: No SD card inserted although the FAT32 SD card is in place in the glove box SD card reader; therefore can't activate PDR and GPS has red X over GPS symbol.. My dealer has ordered the 3M aluminum foil tape and whatever other parts are needed to fix the problem (supplier is a subcontractor Not GM) and parts have been on order now for over 3 weeks and have not come in yet. If you can activate your PDR let me know please; surely would like to use my PDR in the meantime
Thanks Heidemarie
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
My PDR says: No SD card inserted although the FAT32 SD card is in place in the glove box SD card reader; therefore can't activate PDR and GPS has red X over GPS symbol.. My dealer has ordered the 3M aluminum foil tape and whatever other parts are needed to fix the problem (supplier is a subcontractor Not GM) and parts have been on order now for over 3 weeks and have not come in yet. If you can activate your PDR let me know please; surely would like to use my PDR in the meantime
Thanks Heidemarie
When was your car built?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Heidemarie
What size memory card did you insert in your glove box? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that there's a size limitation to the PDR memory card. That limit might be 16gb, but don't hold me to that. Anyone know for sure?

Also if your Navigation fix hasn't been done yet, odds are your PDR won't be able to provide accurate GPS track data.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Heidemarie
Racer

When was your car built?
Vin 846 built late Aug; got car 5 Sep 14
Old 12-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Heidemarie
Racer

What size memory card did you insert in your glove box? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that there's a size limitation to the PDR memory card. That limit might be 16gb, but don't hold me to that. Anyone know for sure?

Also if your Navigation fix hasn't been done yet, odds are your PDR won't be able to provide accurate GPS track data.
Have the right memory card IAW User manual; PDR was working well initially but then went "Kaputt" when X showed up on Nav GPS. Car has VIN 846 TPW was Aug. Got car 5 Sep 14
Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

I'm using a 32GB card in mine so 16 is not the limit. IIRC it's somewhere around 900 minutes of recording time.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:31 PM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Heidemarie
Yes, I can activate my PDR. Try re-seating the SD card. You used the slot in the glove box, not the center console, correct? By the way, turning the PDR on for a minute and then off, the GPS red cleared about a minute later. Cool!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:16 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a new (Dec 01) 2014 and no Nav issues or any other issues. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
I have a new (Dec 01) 2014 and no Nav issues or any other issues. Fingers crossed.
Glad to hear it. Harlan said it was fixed. Lets hope his factory fix works for everyone.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike.dawson
Yes, I can activate my PDR. Try re-seating the SD card. You used the slot in the glove box, not the center console, correct? By the way, turning the PDR on for a minute and then off, the GPS red cleared about a minute later. Cool!
THanks for your reply; evidently there is hope for some of you; HOWEVER
my PDR still does not work. I have reseated the Fat 32GB SD card SEVERAL times hoping it would finally connect; but to NO avail; Of course the SD card is plugged in the slot in the glove box. Since I can't even activate my PDR, I therefore cannot get the X off the GPS either. Strange that both the GPS and the PDR were working fine for the first 4 weeks and then I had the car battery crash on us and we had to be towed to a Chevy dealer here in Ft. Pierce (not our dealership where we bought the car)to get a new battery. After we got the car back we noticed the msg. NO SD CARD INSERTED although the card was there in place. Took it back to the dealership in Ft. Pierce (since they worked on the car)and they could not fix it but GM said "they are aware of the problem and working on it" Then Called our service Dept. in Melbourne and they have ordered the neccessary parts to fix the problem per GM instructions; Still have not gotten the parts in (on order from supplier since 23 Nov.)
Glad yours is working!!!!!! Heidemarie

Quick Reply: Is the NAV problem fixed at the factory?