Sponsored by:

Advice for dealer dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Advice for dealer dilemma

I traded in a c6z with a vette dealer and gave them an order for a new 2015.
We agreed on very favorable price for my trade and worked out a price for the new vette. No problem.

It is a forum dealer so I am keeping details vanilla.

So my trade was signed over to them and it is their car now.

It turns out they still have not got the order picked up and they can't specifically say when it will. It may be another three -6 months. Which is fine. I understand that.

In the interim, I thought I would see what they have in stock online and if there was something close to what I want I would perhaps take the one from their stock.

I found one and used their advertised price from the web to figure out what the $ would be.

When I asked the dealer they said I could use my trade value against an in stock car... But this is where I get confused.

I can't use my trade value on the online advertised prices for their in stock cars. They are indicating the car I want is $2,000 more than the online advertised price for me if I am using my "credit" on file.

Am I out of line thinking this is weird? (I know they try to get their nut on the trade and the new car)

My used car was worth x to them on trade and since they can't firmly demonstrate they will ever get my ordered car, shouldn't I be able to buy one from their lot at the price anyone else could buy it for?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Sounds reasonable to me, you should be able to get the same price as Joe Schmoe off the street.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,072 Likes on 6,171 Posts

You must realize that your "deal" was a package deal - a combination of what they would give you for your trade-in and what they would accept for the new car. I would seem that they gave you more on your trade-in and are taking less on the new car than what they are selling their inventory for without a trade-in.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
You must realize that your "deal" was a package deal - a combination of what they would give you for your trade-in and what they would accept for the new car. I would seem that they gave you more on your trade-in and are taking less on the new car than what they are selling their inventory for without a trade-in.
I agree that is the premise of a proper money making business, where I get conflicted, is when they can't definitively display when or if I will ever get my new car! why can't I buy one off the lot at advertised prices, which obviously already have profit built in them.

They are selling my trade for 3k more than they paid me and they still obviously having a retail nut on their online prices...

I guess I will just wait for the ordered one.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

You ordered from a forum dealer, so it is unlikely that your wait will be an extended wait unless you have some severely constrained options on your order. They can't provide you anything definitely tell you when you will get your car because they don't know in advance exactly what types of allocations they will get when (for example, an allocation that allows Z51 and standard roof - both of which are constrained).

What constrained items do you have in your order?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:06 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

I always view them as separate transactions but don't know the details of your deal.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

You ordered from a forum dealer, so it is unlikely that your wait will be an extended wait unless you have some severely constrained options on your order. They can't provide you anything definitely tell you when you will get your car because they don't know in advance exactly what types of allocations they will get when (for example, an allocation that allows Z51 and standard roof - both of which are constrained).

What constrained items do you have in your order?
Z51 auto, mag ride, 3lt see thru clear top, comp seat
Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by keeks2915
Z51 auto, mag ride, 3lt see thru clear top, comp seat
I don't think it will take long to get that order accepted. Z51 and the A8 are both on constraint (50% and 75%, respectively) but I think those are close to the natural take rate on those options.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

I don't think it will take long to get that order accepted. Z51 and the A8 are both on constraint (50% and 75%, respectively) but I think those are close to the natural take rate on those options.
Thank you sir... Maybe I can fly over there and drive yours for a while to hold me over....; )

You can drive my 63 split...
Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A8 is only constrained on Z06 so the Z51 @ 50% is all that could hold it up and for a forum dealer that should never be an issue.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mjw930
A8 is only constrained on Z06 so the Z51 @ 50% is all that could hold it up and for a forum dealer that should never be an issue.
I'm not totally convinced that is true. Both Stingray and Z06 A8 have the same RPO code, so how can we know since the constraint report only lists the RPO code? If you have some inside knowledge, please share it. This topic came up last week and there was no clear answer.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:55 AM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Right now the plant is only building ZO6 with standard trans because auto ZO6 has proven to have cooling problems when used on track. GM is adding a second trans cooler to ZO6 auto's and doing testing and evaluation before they will sell auto equipped ZO6.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

That sales tax credit on the purchase of a new car has effectively married you to this dealer. Did they pay you cash for your trade or just a credit against your future pruchase?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

well just because they are a forum dealer does not make them golden. Like all things in life we got some pretty good forum dealers and one or two not so.

I mean you can do a search on the lead sales person on here and make your own conclusions.

I think they should honor their sales price and you should get the deal. The car is floorplanned and they make plenty of money on the transaction.

Its about be customer focused not gouging..........but most dealers just worry about the now not the future relationship.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:38 AM
keeks2915
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
That sales tax credit on the purchase of a new car has effectively married you to this dealer. Did they pay you cash for your trade or just a credit against your future pruchase?
They offered to give me a check for my trade less $2k deposit on ordered 2015 that may or not come.

I just told them to keep the whole amount since it was no big deal assuming the new car would be 2-3 months away.

I am sure I could request to get the money since they had offered in the past, I would just lose the $2k deposit.

I am not trying to screw them over and want to give them the business and they have been great. It just really threw me off when they won't accept an advertised price on a stock vehicle they have for sale.

They aren't out anything as the new car hasn't been accepted with Chevy and they can move a vehicle off the floor. Again, they have margin on my trade and they clearly have margin on their stock floor vehicle.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:05 PM
georgied
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

One key piece of info I didn't see mentioned was the comparative pricing on the car you ordered verses the in stock car? If the car you ordered was MSRP and the advertised price of the in stock car was discounted $2,000 then that explains the deal. They may have offered you a trade in price against an MSRP car and now you are asking for the same trade in price against a discounted car. Could that be the problem?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

generally an ordered car would be a cheaper deal. b/c no cost of inventory. assured of sale, maybe your car is one he would not order for stock, also one less car he has in stock to sell now, one more thing, they also have the cash from your when sold trade to use until your new car arrives. imop.

Last edited by hope2; 12-19-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for dealer dilemma

Old 12-19-2014, 12:14 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Originally Posted by georgied
One key piece of info I didn't see mentioned was the comparative pricing on the car you ordered verses the in stock car? If the car you ordered was MSRP and the advertised price of the in stock car was discounted $2,000 then that explains the deal. They may have offered you a trade in price against an MSRP car and now you are asking for the same trade in price against a discounted car. Could that be the problem?
The ordered car had a price $2k under MRSP. And the one in stock was also 2k under MRSP.

They said if I take the one off the floor I would have to add $2k to the advertised price. This is where I am lost.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:33 PM
georgied
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
The ordered car had a price $2k under MRSP. And the one in stock was also 2k under MRSP.

They said if I take the one off the floor I would have to add $2k to the advertised price. This is where I am lost.
Doesn't seem to make much sense to me either. They must feel because it's in stock, they will get a walk-in and give him less for the trade. You know, looks like a 2k discount that they make up on the trade and customer doesn't really put 2+2 together. Can't think of any other reason.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:44 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Originally Posted by georgied
Doesn't seem to make much sense to me either. They must feel because it's in stock, they will get a walk-in and give him less for the trade. You know, looks like a 2k discount that they make up on the trade and customer doesn't really put 2+2 together. Can't think of any other reason.
I am well aware they make up the $2k on the trade .. I get how they change trade in value based on what you are buying. I get all that.

I just thought, knowing they might close a deal 3-4 months form now, they would rather clear one off the floor they still make $ on. Both being $2k under MRSP.

Quick Reply: Advice for dealer dilemma