Sponsored by:

Dealer dropped the ball on delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Stanimal
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Dealer dropped the ball on delivery

Argh. So frustrated. Put a deposit down Oct 27. Dealer told me I'd get the car by mid December. Called the dealer who said they verified the car was set for manufacture Dec 8 with delivery a week later. Long story short, called Chevy directly and found out the dealer never completed the order and the car isn't even scheduled for production.

I don't feel like taking delivery in February. Car will be half a year old by then and my trade in will be worth less too. Plus living in Florida, I will have missed the best convertible weather. Wonder if the dealer will refund my deposit.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

That sucks!! Didn't they give you a build code??
Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes. Since your order is not accepted by GM you should get your deposit back. Contact MacMulkin. They should have the right car for you and if so you would get it within a week or two. They have tons of them in inventory.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Al
That sucks!! Didn't they give you a build code??
The dealer should return your deposit to you.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:30 PM
magredrod
Pro

Originally Posted by bigblock427
The dealer should return your deposit to you.
What's a deposit? My car was built to spec without one. My word was solid and my dealer was legit. Sure you're word is good so try getting your deposit then find a great forum dealer.

Know you've got to be livid waiting to just find out dealer doesn't have car being produced. Good luck in your next steps.

Last edited by magredrod; 12-19-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Waaaaa
Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious about what their excuse was for lying about it being scheduled for production. You should have absolutely no problem getting your deposit back.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if they just didn't have an allocation? Regardless, I wouldn't want the car, and would probably just hold off and wait for the 2016's to come out.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Stanimal
Argh. So frustrated. Put a deposit down Oct 27. Dealer told me I'd get the car by mid December. Called the dealer who said they verified the car was set for manufacture Dec 8 with delivery a week later. Long story short, called Chevy directly and found out the dealer never completed the order and the car isn't even scheduled for production.

I don't feel like taking delivery in February. Car will be half a year old by then and my trade in will be worth less too. Plus living in Florida, I will have missed the best convertible weather. Wonder if the dealer will refund my deposit.
Don't know if this one meets your criteria -- I recently purchased my C5 from them --probably the most pleasant car-buying experience ever.
Located about 80 miles over the FL/GA line.
http://www.parkerchevrolet.com/Vehic...-GA/2363040353
Old 12-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Run away from this dealer. They flat-out lied to you about the build and delivery schedules. I just hope the refund check doesn't bounce. Really, these guys are liars and will look for any way to empty your wallet. C7s are plentiful now -- shop around. Good luck and best wishes!!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

A dealer that lies to you isn't worth messing with. Insist on getting your deposit back and then find another dealer that will get you a car in a quick time frame.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

IF the SOB dealer even thinks of keeping your deposit after the BS he did to you, tell him you'll post their name on every site that mentions the word Corvette and you'll post the details of their lies, deceit and unfair business practices.
And you'll start with the largest forum, the Corvette Forum.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:48 AM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this dealer blatantly lied to you, you should out them in a public forum as a PSA for other prospective vette buyers.
I would be super upset if they pulled that sh#t with me

Old 12-20-2014, 12:51 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd seriously consider contacting the local TV news station, especially if you have any documentation to back up your story. That's a really crappy way to do business.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 AM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakkasan
I wonder if they just didn't have an allocation? Regardless, I wouldn't want the car, and would probably just hold off and wait for the 2016's to come out.......
.....in another year?!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 AM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Sad, but a story that has been repeated numerous times on this Forum since the 2014 C7 came out. Same thing happened to me. The dealer who initially took my deposit, and, gave me a GM Order number, never had an allocation associated with my order. Send him a certified letter demanding the return of your deposit. Then, as mentioned in this thread, check out the existing inventories of the major Forum dealers(see link below as an example).Good luck.
http://kerbeck.com/new-corvette-inventory/
Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It really is bad, but there's no reason to not mention the dealer's name. I doubt if you will be insulting the dealer if you tell all who they are. After all, someone else who just joined CF may actually do a search and the dealer name may pop up to prevent them from making your mistake. And, of course, you should get your deposit back with no arguments whatsoever.

What I don't quite follow is you've been on CF since '08, and the number of threads in C7 Gen have been numerous about who, what dealer, how much, what to ask for, etc. Were these threads you just missed? Not trying to be critical but am wondering.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer dropped the ball on delivery

Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Dean2144
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just jump on cars.com, several new ones on there to pick from, surely one of those will work for you and you don't have to wait.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Stanimal
Instructor

I have a code with 5 letters and a number. Is that the build code? How do you find the status of the build. I called Chevy directly but I would like to get something printed before I go to dealer. Going to head to the dealer this afternoon.

Have to say Chevy wasn't too helpful or nice about it. First guy I spoke to was helpful and made the necessary calls to get the status of my vehicle. When he saw my situation he passed me to a "senior adviser". When I told the senior adviser the story he kept saying stuff like "that's what you say" and "according to you". His advise was that I signed a contract and I'm bound to it. Even when I asked him to verify if the car was in production he said he couldn't check it. He told me he could call the dealer but that he would only ask them to complete the paper work to get the job started. I told him not to bother.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 AM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a code with 5 letters and a number. Is that the build code? How do you find the status of the build. I called Chevy directly but I would like to get something printed before I go to dealer. Going to head to the dealer this afternoon.

Have to say Chevy wasn't too helpful or nice about it. First guy I spoke to was helpful and made the necessary calls to get the status of my vehicle. When he saw my situation he passed me to a "senior adviser". When I told the senior adviser the story he kept saying stuff like "that's what you say" and "according to you". His advise was that I signed a contract and I'm bound to it. Even when I asked him to verify if the car was in production he said he couldn't check it. He told me he could call the dealer but that he would only ask them to complete the paper work to get the job started. I told him not to bother.
You have a factory order number which means the car was "ordered" but not necessarily "placed" since the dealer probably did not have allocation. Usually, there should be no reason for them to keep your deposit and should gladly refund it. Yes, the salesperson or manager assumed that the car being ordered meant placed but are obviously incorrect.

Did the car have unusual equipment that prevented it from being placed?

That could be the problem. Either way, they should have told you that.

Quick Reply: Dealer dropped the ball on delivery