C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you put different tires on a Z51 car wil it stop WHEEL shutter and hop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default If you put different tires on a Z51 car wil it stop WHEEL shutter and hop?

Looking at a 2014 Z51 vette with Michelin pilot tires have noticed when dirvng at low speeds backing up and turning that the car shutters and has wheel hop. If I was to put different bigger profile tires on the Z51 rims will it stop all the NONSENSE . I drove a non Z51 2014 vette with the base suspension and larger Michelin pilot tires with more beef on the sidewalls which are also softer and thicker tires and did not have any problems when I put the car in reverse or slow turning motions . The non Z51 car was as quiet as my current 2008 C6 with F55 suspension. Thanks Dave.

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 12-20-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:48 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Ackerman effect. It's the way the suspension is built. You can put hula-hoops on the rims and you will hop when the speed and turning radius are correct.

Search Ackerman and you'll get tons of threads discussing it. It's also mentioned in the owner's manual and called "normal" in the book.

Elmer
Old 12-20-2014, 09:32 AM
VaTech68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After mounting Michelin A/S 3's for cold weather use on my Z51, I am no longer able to reproduce the wheel hop experienced with original summer tires. Same size tires were mounted on std Z51 wheels. Not suggesting the this is a cure in all driving situations, but it was a nice side effect for my normal driving and parking. As temp dropped, the summer tires seemed more prone to hop, so the different compounds must have caused a change. Since my C6 had the same issue, I don't consider it to be a problem, just a routine response to tight turns. No big deal.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:40 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

It's either hopping or sliding smoothly. The tire is wearing, you might not feel it as much as the OEM Michelins.

Elmer
Old 12-20-2014, 10:00 AM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone know whether other sports cars have this hopping? When I'm pulling out of parking spots or making tight turns, it's embarrassing. I'm just curious if that happens during autocrossing events?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VaTech68
After mounting Michelin A/S 3's for cold weather use on my Z51, I am no longer able to reproduce the wheel hop experienced with original summer tires. Same size tires were mounted on std Z51 wheels. Not suggesting the this is a cure in all driving situations, but it was a nice side effect for my normal driving and parking. As temp dropped, the summer tires seemed more prone to hop, so the different compounds must have caused a change. Since my C6 had the same issue, I don't consider it to be a problem, just a routine response to tight turns. No big deal.
I am a C7 Z51 owner and have heard the 'noise' of the tires when the temp drops below 40 degrees. Well, I broke down and bought the Michelin A/S tires - an expense I was not happy about (I had 9,900 miles on the original tires). But . . . now that I have them mounted I am pretty happy with them. Besides no below 40 degree noises, I can now hear the stereo much better, they seem to ride smoother and I am not positive but it seems as though I might be getting about 1.5 mpg more - was not expecting that and the colder temps may contribute to that - not sure.

I do wish GM had given the customers a choice the tires we got with our C7's.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:36 PM
louloumax
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikefeeser
I am a C7 Z51 owner and have heard the 'noise' of the tires when the temp drops below 40 degrees. Well, I broke down and bought the Michelin A/S tires - an expense I was not happy about (I had 9,900 miles on the original tires). But . . . now that I have them mounted I am pretty happy with them. Besides no below 40 degree noises, I can now hear the stereo much better, they seem to ride smoother and I am not positive but it seems as though I might be getting about 1.5 mpg more - was not expecting that and the colder temps may contribute to that - not sure.

I do wish GM had given the customers a choice the tires we got with our C7's.
last winter the soick tires were ackerman on steroids. this year i put on conti all seasons--no wheel hop and much quieter. after 1500 miles, i am happy with the choice for winter. handling does suffer, so there is no magic bullet cure that does everything perfectly.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
Anyone know whether other sports cars have this hopping? When I'm pulling out of parking spots or making tight turns, it's embarrassing. I'm just curious if that happens during autocrossing events?
Some Porsches have the problem. Since it only occurs at near full steering deflection, it's unlikely to happen on an auto cross circuit.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
Embarrassing? Why?

Wife's Shelby does it at full turn. Other cars do as well. If you don't like it just don't turn the wheel all the way and it won't happen. I've never understood all the worry about it, and will NEVER understand buying new tires to try to prevent it.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

My c5Z does it on all season premium tires so it's not just the c7
Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Even my CTS-V would do it when cold. Not sure why it's embarrassing. More telling that the tires and suspension is setup for performance and not getting groceries.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by louloumax
last winter the soick tires were ackerman on steroids. this year i put on conti all seasons--no wheel hop and much quieter. after 1500 miles, i am happy with the choice for winter. handling does suffer, so there is no magic bullet cure that does everything perfectly.
Me too.... works as described above.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:12 AM
landsteam
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the same experience when I switched to my cold weather tires (A/S 3's), hop is gone.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Embarrassing? Why?

Wife's Shelby does it at full turn. Other cars do as well. If you don't like it just don't turn the wheel all the way and it won't happen. I've never understood all the worry about it, and will NEVER understand buying new tires to try to prevent it.
Agreed, dont care what anyone thinks and i just dont turn lock to lock. My brother's new 2015 911 carrerra does it too, just as bad.

Get over it.....
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,112 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Embarrassing? Why?

If it so Embarrassing trade the car and get a Chev Spark.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Even my CTS-V would do it when cold. Not sure why it's embarrassing. More telling that the tires and suspension is setup for performance and not getting groceries.
I like getting groceries in my C7 and all the vettes I've had since early 70's. I still say that MOST vette owners do not race, but just want a great looking car along with a little performance. Never had any issues with my two C5's which my wife did not want to sell, but now I have to hear remarks here and there about this car's tires hopping around, headlights and flex plate being replaced,DIC going dark and not enough room for groceries(just kidding about that). But I do love the car and have not had any time to really drive it due to breakin period and now the cold weather. Just hope my tires don't crack, since it sits outside all year. And to get out of my driveway, I have to turn the wheel tight to keep from scraping the splitter, which I have already damaged.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,615 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Looking at a 2014 Z51 vette with Michelin pilot tires have noticed when dirvng at low speeds backing up and turning that the car shutters and has wheel hop. If I was to put different bigger profile tires on the Z51 rims will it stop all the NONSENSE . I drove a non Z51 2014 vette with the base suspension and larger Michelin pilot tires with more beef on the sidewalls which are also softer and thicker tires and did not have any problems when I put the car in reverse or slow turning motions . The non Z51 car was as quiet as my current 2008 C6 with F55 suspension. Thanks Dave.
It’s not the section width as much as the tire construction. The Michelin’s, especially the Z51 tires, are more like racing tires, they have very low “slip angles.” Most any other tires will “squirm” or move more relative to the tires path and not need as much Ackerman steering, which he developed for horse draw carriages in the early 1800’s!
This is a PDF with 4 pages of pics showing the issues that cause what GM calls “Chatter.” http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf

Issue is much worse in my Z51 C7 than my Z51 C6 with same section width, but Goodyear and Firestone tires. A number of posters say it goes away with all-season tires. However all you have to do is not turn as sharp when the tires are cold! Make a “K” turn like I do until they warm up, which they do quickly. Perhaps you have other reasons for all-season tires, looking at where you live. But certainly don't spend the money and sacrifice performance just to avoid "chatter!"

Last edited by JerryU; 12-21-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To If you put different tires on a Z51 car wil it stop WHEEL shutter and hop?

Old 12-21-2014, 10:42 AM
markk1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not embarrassed when I am pulling 1.1 G's on a corner.....just sayin' (warm roads and tires, btw!)
Old 12-21-2014, 11:19 AM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Ditto
Same exact experience after changing to the AS 3s @ 9k miles.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Owners manual clearly ststes its normal and does not need service.

Quick Reply: If you put different tires on a Z51 car wil it stop WHEEL shutter and hop?