Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible Feel

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:54 AM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Coupe vs Convertible Feel

Sorry if this has been already discussed, search didn't find anything.

It has been a couple years since I had my C6 coupe and we are looking at getting a '15 C7. I am a windows open kind of guy and love the open feeling in cars. I have never owed a convertible before and think the look of the C7 vert with the top down is so open and inviting.

Since the Vette isn't something you can just freely test drive to get some idea on what you like. I know that the coupe offers more space and you get some open air feeling when the roof is off but is there that much more open air feeling in the vert?

A friend of mine had a C6 vert and got a C7 coupe and says that the coupe is the way to go.

Anyone go coupe to vert and love it or go from vert to coupe and miss it?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:08 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I had a C6 Vert and went to a C7 coupe. I really liked the vert for the simple push of a button and th top is down. However, I was torn because I really liked the looks of the C7 coupe. So far, I can say that in the short time I have the coupe I take the top off much less than the Vert. So far I do not miss it but time wil tell. good luck in your choice, you can't go wrong with any C7. They are awesome.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:30 AM
smbsocal
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
I had a C6 Vert and went to a C7 coupe. I really liked the vert for the simple push of a button and th top is down. However, I was torn because I really liked the looks of the C7 coupe. So far, I can say that in the short time I have the coupe I take the top off much less than the Vert. So far I do not miss it but time wil tell. good luck in your choice, you can't go wrong with any C7. They are awesome.
Yeah, when I had my C6 coupe I took the top off quite a bit but the top was quite heavy back then. I only have a 10 minutes commute so if I wanted top go topless on the drive home it seems like it would be so easy to just push a button.

Of course you loose a bunch of storage space, especially what is accessible from the seats. The rear window in the vert also sounds like it leaves much to be desired in terms of visibility too.

If only the vert was a hardtop.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:41 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by smbsocal
Yeah, when I had my C6 coupe I took the top off quite a bit but the top was quite heavy back then. I only have a 10 minutes commute so if I wanted top go topless on the drive home it seems like it would be so easy to just push a button.

Of course you loose a bunch of storage space, especially what is accessible from the seats. The rear window in the vert also sounds like it leaves much to be desired in terms of visibility too.

If only the vert was a hardtop.
FYI the CF top on the C7....night and day difference in weight youiwill have no problem removing this by yourself and stowing in 5 min. additionally if you get to where you are going and want a cover to just theow over the cabin, someone is selling those \. Remember to sick a nail or something in your drivers side windshield sensor to abypass the alarm's setting "not " to have motion detection active asit is with the top on. Do a search or track Glen E's posts for more info...best of luck
Old 12-20-2014, 11:57 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I went the opposite way as the others. I had a C6 coupe and went to a C7 vert. I think I had the top off the coupe 5-6 times in two years. I had the clear top, much lighter but still a pain in the a--. In comparison, in the vert I just push a button and the roof is up or down is just seconds. As a result, I have already had the top down scores of times and drop it every chance I get. Finally, though I believe the C7 coupe is a prettier car as compared to the vert with top up. I believe the vert with the top down wins the "looks" contest hands down. My vote would be for the vert...

Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I had a C4 convertible and a C6 coupe. I decided on going with a C7 convertible and selling both the C4 and C6. The new convertible is really awesome, top up or down with the push of a switch. I have never enjoyed open air motoring like I am now (C7 is my fourth convertible). Go to the mall top down, top up while locked for security, top down remotely prior to reaching the vehicle for the drive home. The C7 convertible top is smooth and stylish, no problem there. Coupe has the targa top which leaves much to be desired especially in a high wind situation, open air motoring is compromised. I am happy with my selection!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:14 PM
smbsocal
Instructor

For those that went coupe to C7 vert do you find the vert to be as quiet or quieter than the coupe you had? Off hand I recall something about GM making sure the C7 vert was as quiet as it ever has been.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:19 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

For those that went coupe to C7 vert do you find the vert to be as quiet or quieter than the coupe you had? Off hand I recall something about GM making sure the C7 vert was as quiet as it ever has been.
The convertible is far quieter. The chief C7 engineer even said so in a televised interview. Compared to my old C6 coupe, there is virtually zero road noise in my C7 vert. I can have hands free telephone conversations at just about any speed when the top is up and can even talk hand's free to about 45mph with the top down.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 PM
smbsocal
Instructor

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
The convertible is far quieter. The chief C7 engineer even said so in a televised interview. Compared to my old C6 coupe, there is virtually zero road noise in my C7 vert. I can have hands free telephone conversations at just about any speed when the top is up and can even talk hand's free to about 45mph with the top down.
Wow, that is actually very impressive.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Bruce Morgan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I had a C4 convertible and a C6 coupe. I decided on going with a C7 convertible and selling both the C4 and C6. The new convertible is really awesome, top up or down with the push of a switch. I have never enjoyed open air motoring like I am now (C7 is my fourth convertible). Go to the mall top down, top up while locked for security, top down remotely prior to reaching the vehicle for the drive home. The C7 convertible top is smooth and stylish, no problem there. Coupe has the targa top which leaves much to be desired especially in a high wind situation, open air motoring is compromised. I am happy with my selection!
This x100. If you've never owned a convertible as a daily driver you should.

My first convertible was in the 80s, a Triumph TR8 that broke down a just looking at it but was fun to drive. Then work and fatherhood set in, and I had sedans and minivans. In 2000 I bought a Miata as a weekend car. Loved driving that little roadster, but my daily driver was a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (with car seats in the back). In 2004 my kids were old enough for no booster seats so I sold both and bought a Saab 9-3 convertible as a daily driver. Then I traded that in on a BMW Z4 in 2010 (youngest kid got a driver's license, Dad no longer needed back seats). A couple months ago traded that in on a '14 C7 convertible as my daily driver.

The C7 convertible is an absolute joy to drive. I love open air motoring. I tell people driving a convertible gives me 90% of what I loved about riding motorcycles with 0% of the downsides (like getting killed by inattentive drivers).

BTW, my last Corvette was a 1972 C3 454 coupe my wife and I owned from 2000 to 2010 as a weekend car. That had the heavy two piece roof as well as removable back window glass. There is no real comparison whatsoever between that C3 and my C7.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:37 PM
smbsocal
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce Morgan
This x100. If you've never owned a convertible as a daily driver you should.

My first convertible was in the 80s, a Triumph TR8 that broke down a just looking at it but was fun to drive. Then work and fatherhood set in, and I had sedans and minivans. In 2000 I bought a Miata as a weekend car. Loved driving that little roadster, but my daily driver was a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (with car seats in the back). In 2004 my kids were old enough for no booster seats so I sold both and bought a Saab 9-3 convertible as a daily driver. Then I traded that in on a BMW Z4 in 2010 (youngest kid got a driver's license, Dad no longer needed back seats). A couple months ago traded that in on a '14 C7 convertible as my daily driver.

The C7 convertible is an absolute joy to drive. I love open air motoring. I tell people driving a convertible gives me 90% of what I loved about riding motorcycles with 0% of the downsides (like getting killed by inattentive drivers).

BTW, my last Corvette was a 1972 C3 454 coupe my wife and I owned from 2000 to 2010 as a weekend car. That had the heavy two piece roof as well as removable back window glass. There is no real comparison whatsoever between that C3 and my C7.
Funny you mention some of those cars since I was looking at the Miata, Z4 and Mustang GT verts as well. My DD currently is a '12 Jeep SRT8, hardly open air, just a fast tank that feels like a tank.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Bruce Morgan
Cruising

Funny you mention some of those cars since I was looking at the Miata, Z4 and Mustang GT verts as well. My DD currently is a '12 Jeep SRT8, hardly open air, just a fast tank that feels like a tank.
I had a 1994 Miata in black and tan. It was a fun little car with the top down. Put the top up, and it felt like putting on blinders. No visibility outside, and incredibly cramped inside. I'm 6' tall, and had the seat at the far extreme, and still barely fit. Later Miata's got a lot bigger inside, and today's 2015 is no real comparison to the '94 in size.

I had a 2007 Z4 in silver with black interior and black ragtop. Bought it CPO in 2010. This was the last year before they went to a hardtop convertible, and has the angular design I much preferred. Sort of like the C7, now that I think about it. All edges and angles. The Z4 was great to drive top down, but again with the top up it's cramped inside. Not as bad as the Miata, but much tighter than the C7. I find myself much more willing to drive the C7 with the top up whereas if I thought I'd be stuck top-up all day in the Z4, I'd just take my Nissan Frontier for the day.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:15 PM
ksf
8th Gear

The convertible was my choice because of the following:
1. A huge difference in the noise level and I mean it when I say huge.
2. Top down with a push of a button is a big plus for me, no matter how light the Coupe top is, it's never the same. Especially if I'm going out for dinner or shopping or even have to get out and leave the car parked even for 5 minutes, I would still have to put the top up and then back down when I get back which was be inconvenient to say the least.
3. Even with others saying that you loose trunk space, I would say the opposite, you gain a lot more space because when you take the top off, especially on a weekend trip, you'll have a lot less space with the top stored in the trunk while for me, even with the top down in the Vert, I have enough trunk for 2 persons for a weekend.

On the other hand, the Vert is $5000 more than the Coupe, so it will also depend on your budget but at the end, either way, Vert or Coupe, you'll enjoy either one. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:25 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

I had a C6 coupe, I test drove the C7 coupe and the Vert. Got done with the test drives and immediately placed my order for a new Vert.
Most of the reasons for going to the Vert, looks both top up or down, real open air driving, one button and 21 seconds to open or close top. A complete difference from driving the coupe with the top removed. Go Vert if you want the open air driving experience.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:27 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the one you like best. I wanted only a vert. I love the open air feeling and go on long drives top down. Mine is a power top.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:31 PM
landsteam
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a C4, C5, C6 coupes now I have a C7 convertible. The convertible is the best way to own a vette.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Bruce Morgan
Cruising

Originally Posted by ksf
Top down with a push of a button is a big plus for me, no matter how light the Coupe top is, it's never the same. Especially if I'm going out for dinner or shopping or even have to get out and leave the car parked even for 5 minutes, I would still have to put the top up and then back down when I get back which was be inconvenient to say the least.
This is absolutely a huge benefit the convertible has over removable roof car. You have to be much more planful about how and when to take that roof off. After my TR8, I had a 1987 Porsche 944. I thought that would be as good as a convertible, but no - having to plan when to take that roof on or off was a pain as was storing it. If I changed my mind while driving, I had to find a place to pull over to fiddle with the roof. A place safe enough to get out of the car, open the hatch, remove the roof, store the roof in the hatch, close the hatch, get back in, merge back into traffic. Can't be done at a traffic light; trust me I tried once with my passenger helping and what a fiasco that was.

With the C7, I can start out with the top down even if the weather is a bit iffy, and if I encounter enough rain to put the top up, then voila up goes the top at the next traffic light. Or if there is a little dew on my car from leaving it outside in the morning, and that dew dries on my way to work, then I just put down the top.

I rented a C6 convertible once, and that car had hand-actuated locks at the top of the windshield to undo, and you had to be in park for the top to work. Similarly, my Z4 had to be nearly stopped for the roof mechanism to work. The C7 has the big advantage that it will put the top up or down while rolling at reasonable speeds.

If you want true open air motoring, a true convertible is the only way to go. And you can't go wrong with a C7 convertible.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe vs Convertible Feel

Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by landsteam
The convertible is the best way to own a vette.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:52 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Coupe has the targa top which leaves much to be desired especially in a high wind situation, open air motoring is compromised.
Could you please clarify? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:10 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

My former car was a c6 Grand Sport convertible. I installed the factory windscreen. I now have a C7 coupe. With the top removed I experience less cabin turbulence and noise than I did with my C6, even with it's windscreen up. Stereo is much clearer too. The new Carbon fiber painted roof panel is much lighter than the older ones ( as well as being lighter than the transparent version) and a snap to remove and reinstall. It still allows for some storage when stowed.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible Feel