Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joining the Blown Engine Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:17 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes he did not sure why it took that many miles to check the car out. That will be something to address as I move forward with this process.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Best of luck on your issue.
I Lemon Lawed a Vette in 1998, what a pita! Did get a new car, though. But it took a lot of effort and the dealer really helped me out. Way better than a new engine.
But a new engine is way better than a rebuild.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 PM
Jasonhol
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a very similar issue to the op with my 2015 z51. It felt and sounded like the engine was gone. My fix was an ecu replacement.
Good luck
Jason
Old 12-21-2014, 12:00 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I hope it gets repaired to your satisfaction quickly
Old 12-21-2014, 12:31 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by gpotski
You'd think by 2914 they'd have the bugs worked out.

Good luck with the repairs.
If it takes that long, we're all screwed ...............
Old 12-21-2014, 03:34 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LincolnUSA
This is an interesting thread. Are you willing to settle for a new motor? Guess if it was me, I would be arguing for a new car. Have never had to deal with Lemon laws personally but can't help wonder if they would not apply in this situation.
You're jumping the gun a little. This isn't a lemon law situation. And manufacturers don't just give you new cars because yours needs a repair. This is why GM gives warranties.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 AM
blkvett01
Racer

You are absolutely right! I will follow the process and it leads to where it is intended to go.

After they put it on the lift yesterday and listen to the noise from the bottom they think it is the motor. I will see what they say after Monday check out.

The car has been really great till this point so I can not complain. We all hate it when things happen to our Baby's and they have to go to the shop!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

The only engine I have had repaired/rebuilt by GM blew up again within a month.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:33 AM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvett01
Yes he did not sure why it took that many miles to check the car out. That will be something to address as I move forward with this process.
He took it for a joy ride. Go to the GM regional representative and demand a new motor (not repair) and explanation of the excessive miles in writing. Do not accept the we don't know answer with regards to the miles.

Press them on that point until they give up the truth. Threaten GM that you are going public and to the media if you do not receive satisfaction. Find one of those Channel on you side reporters. Tell them your story and then show them the valet story.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:50 AM
blkvett01
Racer

They service manager said that he was the QC guy and he was checking the car to find the problem. When he got back to the dealer he stopped the car and it would not start again.

The funny thing that I remember today is the Service Manager said the car quit running a couple of time when I was talking to him. I am not sure what is going on with the 109 miles just seemed like a lot of miles to me for any checking of the car!

So if they drove the car 109 miles but after they put the new starter in it they did not drive it really at all. Seems they should have drove it a couple of miles just to check that solved the problem. So if the rod bearing was going bad and it took more force to turn the engine it could have caused the starter to go bad?

So when it stopped running Tuesday I could not get the car to start at all for over three hours. I was not till the tow truck got it back to the dealer it started while we were getting it of the truck. He just push the start button and it started but was running really ruff and would not run long at low rpms.

Well I guess I have a few things to figure out on what and why!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:22 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Good luck.....my guess is you'll be without your car for at least 3 weeks.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:44 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by shodanusmc
Main seal blew on one of my cars several years ago. Got a new Long Block but just did not feel the same. They will not give you a new car, but you can negotiate cash back and credit on a new vehicle.

You should get rid of this car. Even if GM agrees to a new engine, it will still be a warranty repair, meaning that GM will probably not allow the dealership to charge full shop rates to perform this complex job. Time is money --the dealership and the tech(s) may hurry the process to beat the clock. I don't think you want this. You paid big bucks for Chevy's halo car -- the engine should last much longer than it has. C7s are plentiful now, try to work out cash back/credit deal.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:13 AM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
If it takes that long, we're all screwed ...............
In the year 2525, if man is still alive...
Zager & Evans

Yeah, I am that old.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:51 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

at 8k miles...with who knows how many shards of metal now floating around in the oilpan, I I'd be asking for a new engine, not a rebuild.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvett01
You are absolutely right! I will follow the process and it leads to where it is intended to go.

After they put it on the lift yesterday and listen to the noise from the bottom they think it is the motor. I will see what they say after Monday check out.

The car has been really great till this point so I can not complain. We all hate it when things happen to our Baby's and they have to go to the shop!
Did you see the other comment that someone had almost the same issue and it was fixed with a new ECU? Maybe you should have them at least try that? Easy for them to swap out and see.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 12-22-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:05 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Thanks for all the help guys, I am waiting to here back and see what they find today. I will ask about the ECU and the other ideas.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:21 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Any update !!

Get notified of new replies

To Joining the Blown Engine Club

Old 12-23-2014, 08:23 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 99 Posts

It's called a car--they break.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Cryokid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this October at 6900 miles, my Z51 engine went into limp mode and was making a lot of valve train noise. Being a mechanical engineer, I didn't abuse the car and always made sure that it was warmed up well before any kind of hard acceleration. They replaced all the lifters, but the noise was still there. GM said that they should take the motor fully apart to determine what was really going on. I insisted that they just replace the engine with a new unit. The dealer really went to bat for me and got approval to get a new crate engine.

It only took two days to get the engine once the factory engineers approved its replacement. By the way it wasn't a rebuilt unit but right off the 2015 production line. This early in the game they didn't have enough engines to rebuild which I was real happy about. When I got the car back, I couldn't see anything that looked out of place and you would never know that a new engine was installed, so the technician did a great job. The only issue I've had was a warning that the e differential needed servicing. Apparently one of the electrical plugs wasn't seated properly.

So after 2,500 miles, no problems with the new engine. I've also noticed that the clutch is smoother, possibly due to less crankshaft endplay, who knows? Anyway, I was always nice to the service manager and he was very good about keeping me informed. In a year or two, I will use this experience to negotiate a good deal on a new Z06.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:11 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryokid
So this October at 6900 miles, my Z51 engine went into limp mode and was making a lot of valve train noise. Being a mechanical engineer, I didn't abuse the car and always made sure that it was warmed up well before any kind of hard acceleration. They replaced all the lifters, but the noise was still there. GM said that they should take the motor fully apart to determine what was really going on. I insisted that they just replace the engine with a new unit. The dealer really went to bat for me and got approval to get a new crate engine.

It only took two days to get the engine once the factory engineers approved its replacement. By the way it wasn't a rebuilt unit but right off the 2015 production line. This early in the game they didn't have enough engines to rebuild which I was real happy about. When I got the car back, I couldn't see anything that looked out of place and you would never know that a new engine was installed, so the technician did a great job. The only issue I've had was a warning that the e differential needed servicing. Apparently one of the electrical plugs wasn't seated properly.

So after 2,500 miles, no problems with the new engine. I've also noticed that the clutch is smoother, possibly due to less crankshaft endplay, who knows? Anyway, I was always nice to the service manager and he was very good about keeping me informed. In a year or two, I will use this experience to negotiate a good deal on a new Z06.
Except it will be noted (car fax) you have a replaced engine In your car which will kill resale.

Quick Reply: Joining the Blown Engine Club