Sponsored by:

Your little Black Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 AM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Your little Black Box

Here is an interesting article about the Little Black Box in your Corvette and a lot of other cars and some ideas on how to control who sees what.

Lets hear your thoughts. I know there will be both Good and Bad.

http://www.komando.com/columns/28832...eep-it-private
Old 12-21-2014, 08:34 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting that the 2013 Corvette has it but the 2014 does not.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Here is an interesting article about the Little Black Box in your Corvette and a lot of other cars and some ideas on how to control who sees what.

Lets hear your thoughts. I know there will be both Good and Bad.

http://www.komando.com/columns/28832...eep-it-private
From what I understand the EDR in late 14s and 15 (Corvettes) has an extended recording time, more than the 20 sec stated in the article. Why the extended period and when it starts is unknown, but the information did come from a Chevrolet engineer at Mid America Expo.

Has anyone else heard this, if so can you provide more info ?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

There is notification in the owners manual about the so called black box. The unit is part of the airbag control unit. I personally hate the thing. Aircraft have flight recorders and cockpit voice recorders. Both record the last thirty minutes of the aircraft's operation. Both units can be disabled from the flight deck by pulling the respective circuit breaker. The voice recorder has an erase function, a push of the button and recording is gone. I have used the cockpit voice recorder to save air traffic control instructions when a clearance was disputed, pulled the circuit breaker and I also had a copy if the need arose (hasn't yet).
Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 AM
billeee
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I was a consulting engineer specializing in vehicle accident reconstruction and I downloaded and analyze this data for a lot of accidents. It's amazing how few people know about the black boxes which have been around for over 15 years.

The data can lead to bad conclusions if not interpreted properly. For example, in a rollover with the gas pedal held down the recorded speed can be much higher than the actual vehicle speed.

In some states the injury damages payable to a plaintiff can be reduced if they were not wearing a seat belt. The data recorder will indicate if the seat belts were in use. Another reason to buckle up.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM
C7VY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edr

Does anyone know were in the C7 is the EDR located?
Old 12-21-2014, 10:05 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Another issue around this one is greedy states potentially using GPS to track a car from point to point and if the speed limit is exceeded, mail you a ticket.

Any state doing this is guilty of massive overreach. Don
Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Even more surprising is how many people I spoke with think these recorders are a good idea, and ignore the eroding of their right to privacy. If such data was solely used for evaluation of crash performance and the name of the owner was stripped from the data I could see the value. However, the threat really is not the government, at least not at this level. No, the major threat is from Big Business. After an accident your insurance company is going to want this information and I would not be surprised that buried somewhere in your policy is language that gives them the right to have access after an accident. Say your car is in the body shop and the adjuster arrives to evaluate the car. What is to stop him/her from retrieving that data without your permission other than that buried language in your policy that you have no choice to decline? If there are any body repair shop Forum members I'd like to hear their input on the frequency of this. I feel that I bought the car, and the recorder within, and I generated the data. Therefore it is mine and nobody should have any right to it unless I give permission to do so.

This topic has been bantered around a bit on many forums and never really gets the number of hits that other stories get, yet it is a major intrusion in our right to privacy. It never ceases to amaze me that our rights to privacy are being reduced bit by bit (no pun intended) and nobody really seems to care, especially those under 30 who seem to believe the value of technology far outweighs the intrusion and loss of hard fought for rights and freedoms. Really sad. I forgot which founding father said "He who gives up rights for a bit of security deserves neither rights or security" or something like that. Glad I still own a 1995 car that has no rat-out features.

Last edited by golden2husky; 12-21-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:40 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Another issue around this one is greedy states potentially using GPS to track a car from point to point and if the speed limit is exceeded, mail you a ticket.

Any state doing this is guilty of massive overreach. Don

EZPass and other versions of such technology already track your movements but none are used to mail tickets other than for toll plaza speeding. If you think about it, the old paper card that toll takers used to hand out could be used to calculate the speed of the car, but it was an anonymous car. So the state would know average speeds and times but that was it. Today, such systems are used to calculate speeds but they are tied to a toll tag, and hence the owner. Where I live, that very data is used to calculate average speeds and this is how the highway signs that say "average time to exit X is Y minutes" work. Toll tag readers are installed the length of the road and grab your location from your toll tag. When you pass the next reader, your tag is pinged again. The aggregate for all of this is what generates the information for the "time-to" signs. In NY for example, the owner information is stripped from the data so allegedly there is no database that tracks the driving habits of any particular driver. While I doubt that this is entirely true, the rules were written so that such data could not be used in court. And you do have the option of keeping your toll tag in the special bag that keeps it from being read. This does open the door for a massive data collection on driver behavior. How much value does this has for the state? Not sure, but your insurance company would love to have it and surcharge you accordingly.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:54 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This is an interesting thread. Although I am a strong believer in personal privacy, I also believe that there is a need for information gathering that benefits. There is a fine line here that can be crossed over easily, with potential for unmitigated infringement on the individuals rights.
I really believe that the owner of the car is the owner of the information in the " black box " and should have the right to protect the information contained within. But in the advent of a collision that information should always be allowed to surface for real fault.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:13 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Well stated and level headed.
Originally Posted by rcooper
This is an interesting thread. Although I am a strong believer in personal privacy, I also believe that there is a need for information gathering that benefits. There is a fine line here that can be crossed over easily, with potential for unmitigated infringement on the individuals rights.
I really believe that the owner of the car is the owner of the information in the " black box " and should have the right to protect the information contained within. But in the advent of a collision that information should always be allowed to surface for real fault.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:26 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
If such data was solely used for evaluation of crash performance and the name of the owner was stripped from the data I could see the value.
Year after year of late, the government has given me no reason to trust them. Having said that, EVDRs can be used for good but as anyone knows the possibility of abuse is there.

A few years ago, a spoiled 18 or 19yr old was driving Dad’s Vette doing something like 80 in a 35 or 40mph zone in a residential area at night in Chicago.

He hit and killed a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Wealthy father tried his best to get his son off.

GM downloaded the data for the prosecution clearly showing reckless driving/endangerment. If I remember correctly, there was no effort on the part of the kid to use the brakes if he was even paying attention. Kid was jailed as he well deserved.

In such cases as this, I think the “black box” is useful. Don

Get notified of new replies

To Your little Black Box

Quick Reply: Your little Black Box