C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell us how you really feel about throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:19 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I just installed a Vitesse Throttle Controller last night. It can be done in about 5 minutes, or longer depending on how integrated someone wants it to be. The difference is night and day. It doesn't make the car "faster", but it definitely wakes it up during normal everyday driving. The difference is noticeable at setting 5, and setting 9 makes the throttle response hyper-sensitive. For now, until I get more used to it, setting 7 is great.

I think it makes driving the car much more enjoyable around town.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:42 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Trifecta

I have a 2015 C7 base model A8 with NPP. The only mechanical mod is a drop-in Air-Raid (dry) filter.

I went the full tune route with Trifecta -- disabled AFM, increased throttle response, added 30 ft-lbs of torque, and the A8 shifts better.

Enjoy the car a lot more. Cost $300, that was back in May 2015.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

So are you people just paying for a mod that will get you the throttle response of track mode in other modes like touring and eco?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
I don't think I've seen anyone else say this. My experience, and that of many people who've posted, is just the opposite. 50% travel is far less than 50% throttle. I don't mind it so much, though, as it makes the car much easier to drive smoothly in typical public road conditions. I also have a C7 manual and typically drive in sport or track mode. Mine is a 2015. What year is yours?
GM tuned it that way for a reason.
They're not going to unleash a car with 450 HP on the general public with highly sensitive throttle response.
Remembering the days of direct throttle linkage comes up a lot.
But what you don't hear is, back then that 450HP car did not idle at 550 RPM like today's C7.
It idled at 8-900 RPM so it wouldn't stall, and around town you were either idling along in traffic or going like a raped ape at the touch of the gas pedal, there was no in between
Don't like your C7 throttle response ?, get one of those aftermarket throttle booster products
Old 05-29-2016, 02:11 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
So are you people just paying for a mod that will get you the throttle response of track mode in other modes like touring and eco?
No. The throttle response in all modes is significantly improved with the Vitesse Throttle Controller - including Sport and Track. I usually drive in Sport or Track, and the difference before and after installation is substantial. It really makes the car more responsive and enjoyable to drive. It's also easy to remove without a trace, unlike most (maybe all) tuning options.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajaste
Any of you C7 drivers dissatisfied with your throttle response should install a throttle controller from Vitesse (a CF sponsor). It's the best $185 I've spent on my C6.

It will remove any perceived slop in your throttle response.

Originally Posted by AmyBrimberry
There are 3 settings for throttle progression, see chart below:

I drive in Sport 95% of the time and feel it's fine. If I want a faster response I push faster. GM has used a non linear curve for the C7, probably even in sport 50% peddle is not 50% throttle body. You can get a simple add on device that plugs between the peddle and throttle body electrical connector to make it linear. Note I said simple not cheap!

I'm reminded of my 1st car a '41 Ford Opera Coupe that I replaced the flathead with a bored out Olds engine. That OHV engine was significantly higher. I had to have a 6 inch extension brazed to the throttle linkage. There was less than 2 inches of travel on the accelerator peddle! Sounds like some wish they had that response. Cheap way to make folks think they have more hp then they do.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-29-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:27 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
I think my C7 Z51 feels sluggish but nothing annoying.

Agree, but am somewhat annoyed. After test driving a Z06, I suppose everything else seems slower

Thinking about an add on but still juggling a couple of future options
Old 05-29-2016, 03:48 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

I want this option as well but I'm torn between this and just saying screw it and get a Chuckcow tune.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:15 PM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally posted by JerryU: ...You can get a simple add on device that plugs between the peddle and throttle body electrical connector to make it linear. Note I said simple not cheap! ...

What device are you referring to?
Old 05-29-2016, 06:36 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by driver9
Originally posted by JerryU: ...You can get a simple add on device that plugs between the peddle and throttle body electrical connector to make it linear. Note I said simple not cheap! ...

What device are you referring to?
Google "C7 Vitesse Throttle Controller". It's around $160 or so, if I recall correctly. I think it's a pretty cheap mod that makes the car quite a bit more fun to drive.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 PM
driver9
Drifting

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
Google "C7 Vitesse Throttle Controller". It's around $160 or so, if I recall correctly. I think it's a pretty cheap mod that makes the car quite a bit more fun to drive.
Oh. I thought he was referring to some alternative to the Vitesse.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh. I thought he was referring to some alternative to the Vitesse.
Actually I was, one I had copied the graph they published. It's call Sprint but cost even more! This shows the OEM is linear, not sure it is on the Vette. Their devise, as noted, reaches 100 % throttle body opening at 1/2 throttle!

My 16 year old graddaughter inherited her sisters Jeep Hemi. That throttle is so sensitive it's dangerous IMO. I drove it and it was a bit scarry! Daughter said she is used to it now and the dealer wants $200 to fix it. It's 8 years old so proably can't get Jeep to do anything at this point.

Device just plugs into connecto on acclerator peddle.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-30-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Not for me.
Talk about over working something to get the same conclusion, this is it.

Had a Sport button on the BMW's I've driven, just increased the response to the gas peddle, and made the car a uppity bitch. Rarely used it.

I prefer what the car came with. Sure it take a little more time, but not that much, and in the end I get the same conclusion. I don't mind taking my time, it just smother
ride that way. I don't mind, and even like, what GM engineered here.

Last edited by L8ter; 05-29-2016 at 09:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chemdawg99 (06-26-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 PM
driver9
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryU
Actually I was, one I had copied the grapgh they published. It's call Sprint but cost even more! This shows the OEM is linear, not sure it is on the Vette. Their devise, as noted, reaches 100 % throttle body opening at 1/2 throttle!

Device just plugs into connector on accelerator pedal.

Thanks for the clarification. The Sprint Booster device is almost twice the price of the Vitesse. It apparently has two settings -- three, actually: Inactive, "green light" for "smooth driving" and "red light" for aggressive driving. Red light must be the mode shown by the blue line in the graph you posted. I like that the install is easier, they have a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee and install is simpler because you don't have to hide anything or run any wires. But the price is a bit much.

Expecting to get my car towards the end of the week. (It's on a train heading this way since Friday.) I'll drive it a bit then see if I have to have a gas-pedal helper.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the clarification. The Sprint Booster device is almost twice the price of the Vitesse. It apparently has two settings -- three, actually: Inactive, "green light" for "smooth driving" and "red light" for aggressive driving. Red light must be the mode shown by the blue line in the graph you posted. I like that the install is easier, they have a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee and install is simpler because you don't have to hide anything or run any wires. But the price is a bit much.

Expecting to get my car towards the end of the week. (It's on a train heading this way since Friday.) I'll drive it a bit then see if I have to have a gas-pedal helper.
As I mentioned, I drive in Sport all the time. Looks like Sport and Track have a faster curve. In fact until there was a post about the issue, never thought it was slow. As I said when I want a fast response I just push the throttle quicker.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:35 AM
67435animal
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
So I am trying to get more feedback on how C7 drivers feel about the throttle response.

What I want is a car that responds like my old fox body 5.0 mustangs did. I can still distinctly remember the first time I ever sunk my foot into the pedal and felt the pull of 300 ft lbs at about 3000 rpm in a 3000 lb car. It was exhilarating. I then moved on to a modded 89 that probably made about 400 ft/lbs and had 3:73 gears. That thing was so much fun.

I am looking to return to those days in a more refined package with decent handling, and the C7 seems to offer much promise in that regard. But when I test drove a 2014 Z51 m7 back in November 2013, it did not respond like my old 5.0 mustangs did, even in track mode. It was more like an on/off switch, if I really layed into the throttle it hauled like a train, but at lower throttle inputs it did not pull all that strongly. Perhaps this a function of GM torque management throttle mapping?

Some C7 drivers seem to feel the same thing, noting that it seems that 85% throttle is needed to really get that push in the back. Others say that the throttle response is amazing and have no complaints.

The discrepancy is hard to understand? Are those satisfied with throttle response perhaps the types who always lay hard into the throttle whereas those who find the throttle response less than ideal are the types who maybe hit the throttle a little more gingerly?

How do you feel about your C7's throttle response?
I owned a 2015 Jaguar F-Type R - 550 HP; 502 lb fr torque. The throttle response on the Jag was far superior to my Corvette.

The Jag was just plain scary fast; the Corvette is more sedate.

Last edited by 67435animal; 05-30-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:44 AM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Echo all sentiments in this thread - C7 fly by wire throttle programming is very mediocre from factory. All modern fly by wire cars have dull throttles from factory (they do it for emissions?) but the C7 is particularly bad.

I put a Vitesse in, and that improves things significantly, but throttle is still a problem. Car feels a lot slower than it should, for its numbers. One of those things owners just need to learn to live with.

Get notified of new replies

To Tell us how you really feel about throttle response?

Old 05-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Flyingscot
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

HORRIBLE!
I have an M7 and had to use revmatch to downshift. Since I have purchased the Vetisse Throttle Controller and set it to 9, I have never used Revmatch again. It has made my car fun to drive. You can blip the throttle with ease. Love it and my M7.
The following users liked this post:
Pete43 (10-02-2018)
Old 05-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Friendly guy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts
Default amazing

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Echo all sentiments in this thread - C7 fly by wire throttle programming is very mediocre from factory. All modern fly by wire cars have dull throttles from factory (they do it for emissions?) but the C7 is particularly bad.

I put a Vitesse in, and that improves things significantly, but throttle is still a problem. Car feels a lot slower than it should, for its numbers. One of those things owners just need to learn to live with.
I'm shopping for my first vette. My background has been decades of restoring and driving mid to late 60s muscle cars. These cars are very primitive of course but the throttle response is immediate-the linkage is mechanical etc.

The more I read about the C7 the more I realize how much has been given away in the process of making more hp from less gas. I had no idea that the throttle response was subject to such complicated programming. I guess the key is that it is throttle by wire...and in such a system the manufacturer can play any games they want.

After reading this thread I realize that it is not possible to directly compare the old cars "lower" factory hp with the new cars "higher" factory hp. The programming of throttle response sits in between the driver and engine response. I'm still reading and learning but so far I don't like the message.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:07 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Friendly guy
I'm shopping for my first vette. My background has been decades of restoring and driving mid to late 60s muscle cars. These cars are very primitive of course but the throttle response is immediate-the linkage is mechanical etc.

The more I read about the C7 the more I realize how much has been given away in the process of making more hp from less gas. I had no idea that the throttle response was subject to such complicated programming. I guess the key is that it is throttle by wire...and in such a system the manufacturer can play any games they want.

After reading this thread I realize that it is not possible to directly compare the old cars "lower" factory hp with the new cars "higher" factory hp. The programming of throttle response sits in between the driver and engine response. I'm still reading and learning but so far I don't like the message.
I understand how you arrived at your conclusion, but I don't believe it's correct. Yes, the factory programming is intrusive, and doesn't always effectively communicate the car's full potential, but the potential is still there. Simply comparing 1/4 mile times from a stock late 1960's 454-equipped Corvette with today's stock C7 is enough to show the power increase is legitimate.

The factory "throttle by wire" settings help make the power available more "usable" for many of today's drivers who would likely wrap a late 1960's big block C3 around a tree in short order.

Quick Reply: Tell us how you really feel about throttle response?