C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell us how you really feel about throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:17 AM
baege
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tell us how you really feel about throttle response?

So I am trying to get more feedback on how C7 drivers feel about the throttle response.

What I want is a car that responds like my old fox body 5.0 mustangs did. I can still distinctly remember the first time I ever sunk my foot into the pedal and felt the pull of 300 ft lbs at about 3000 rpm in a 3000 lb car. It was exhilarating. I then moved on to a modded 89 that probably made about 400 ft/lbs and had 3:73 gears. That thing was so much fun.

I am looking to return to those days in a more refined package with decent handling, and the C7 seems to offer much promise in that regard. But when I test drove a 2014 Z51 m7 back in November 2013, it did not respond like my old 5.0 mustangs did, even in track mode. It was more like an on/off switch, if I really layed into the throttle it hauled like a train, but at lower throttle inputs it did not pull all that strongly. Perhaps this a function of GM torque management throttle mapping?

Some C7 drivers seem to feel the same thing, noting that it seems that 85% throttle is needed to really get that push in the back. Others say that the throttle response is amazing and have no complaints.

The discrepancy is hard to understand? Are those satisfied with throttle response perhaps the types who always lay hard into the throttle whereas those who find the throttle response less than ideal are the types who maybe hit the throttle a little more gingerly?

How do you feel about your C7's throttle response?
The following users liked this post:
BarneyZ (11-23-2016)
Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 AM
TEAShea
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is great.
Volocty (05-31-2016)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

it's all in the tune, like always.

twisting the distributor, changing the jets, adjusting the throttle cable, etc etc is all done on the laptop now.

I used to remember the fox body as being an amazing awesome machine, but let's be honest.....it's a huge lump of crap compared to the cars we have today. get in one today and drive it around the block. its a 4 lug turd.
The following 2 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
JST4PLA (05-29-2016), Tron1 (05-30-2016)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

twisting the distributor, changing the jets, adjusting the throttle cable, etc etc is all done on the laptop now.

Even with the 5.0 (I had two of them) there were things we needed to do in order to get better throttle response from them. Right out of the box they were ok, but everyone with a 5.0 would immediately pull out their timing light (remember those??) and bump the timing to 13 or 14 degrees. That alone was a huge difference in throttle response. Another good trick was playing with the throttle position sensor, I remember one of mine was set very low from the factory and playing with that gave a nice boost in throttle response. And the best thing of all was swapping out the stock 2.73 or 3.08 rear end gears for a set of 3.55s or 3.73s. I went with 3.55s and the throttle response was instantaneous with that change. Combined with the 3000 lb curb weight and those cars definitely moved, from the instant you hit the gas and even at low rpms.

So fast forward to now, and the C7 can be improved upon in a similar fashion, you just need the right person to tune it. Nothing is ever perfect out of the factory, the 5.0 certainly wasn't. But it's not super expensive to rectify either.
Z06NJ (10-13-2016)
Old 12-21-2014, 11:20 AM
baege
Instructor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

I used to remember the fox body as being an amazing awesome machine, but let's be honest.....it's a huge lump of crap compared to the cars we have today. get in one today and drive it around the block. its a 4 lug turd.

What implications do such tuning alterations have on warranty?

Indeed the fox body's are crude in many ways compared to modern cars, but they definitely had nice throttle response at low rpms...
I just want that with the other refinements we've gained!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:18 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Keep it in the good rpm range and tr is decent, I'm not all that impressed with it and I have a Diablo tune.

I also have 2 5.0 ('91 LX and '88 GT) and while not as refined as today's cars they are a blast to drive, many people don't like them because those people can't drive a car that doesn't have all the nannies attached to it (abs, tc, sophisticated suspensions), those people I like to call metrosexuals.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:03 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

I think it is spectacular.....except for when the computer is controlling it. I know I've felt the affects of it with the car limiting what my foot was doing...
Old 12-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I find that for a drive-by-wire car, the throttle responsive in sport and track mode. The first two gears seem very responsive while the higher gears are a little less.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:35 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by baege

How do you feel about your C7's throttle response?
There have been several posts on this forum about the poor throttle response. I just don't believe we will ever see or get what we had in the "old days" with direct, mechanical throttle linkage. We live in an automated world now and going back to those "old days" methods just aren't going to happen. I always drive in the "track" mode to get the supposed best throttle response, but it's still no where near what we use to experience with the direct, mechanical linkage. Some say a special tune will help, but I'm skeptical. Oh well, we might as well get used to it...
Old 12-21-2014, 04:38 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

I have no problem with the response. I put mine in the proper gear for the response I want. The car actually accelerates quicker than it fills based on watching the speedometer. Awesome car.
The following 2 users liked this post by stevedun:
JST4PLA (05-29-2016), Vett2017 (10-14-2016)
Old 12-21-2014, 05:10 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Awesome
Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
Awesome
Old 12-21-2014, 07:33 PM
baege
Instructor

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
There have been several posts on this forum about the poor throttle response. I just don't believe we will ever see or get what we had in the "old days" with direct, mechanical throttle linkage. We live in an automated world now and going back to those "old days" methods just aren't going to happen. I always drive in the "track" mode to get the supposed best throttle response, but it's still no where near what we use to experience with the direct, mechanical linkage. Some say a special tune will help, but I'm skeptical. Oh well, we might as well get used to it...
It would appear that mapping for the throttle at less than 70% is pretty conversative though for torque management, so it seems the car lacks that crackling response that some other cars have that don't have as much torque overall...too bad because accessing all that torque down low would without having to mash the throttle every time would be loads of fun
Old 05-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Desalve
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off idle throttle response

It's been sometime since I've chimed in on this problem. And it is a problem in spite of what some on this forum tell you. This is especially noticeable on the stick cars. I've done a lot of investigation into the problem and what is going on is a lean off idle throttle response. If you are at a stable idle condition with foot on the brake to prevent roll back (yes I now about hill assist but it isn't always active) upon lifting off the brake and a quick jab of the throttle as you engage the clutch to prevent roll back the engine goes flat due to lean condition. It is almost impossible to prevent roll back without a stall! Eventually it became evident that the throttle management software is based on torque demand and not airflow so in a stick car you don't have an immediate call for torque so the engine goes lean. Say I'm stupid and don't know how to drive but I've been driving high perf cars for 50 years both carb and FI the C7 is the worst off idle car I've ever driven. So what did I do? I'm currently having Lingenfelter Performance fix it for me since the Bow Tie guys won't do anything unless you get a check engine light!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I think the throttle is sluggish in every mode compared to live throttle linkage cars. I compare the C7 with my C4. Sure the C7 is stronger and faster but the response is no where near as "right now" as the old cable operated throttle in the C4. A clear example is sitting at idle and revving to hear the exhaust. That old C4 is lightening quick to respond, not so with the C7. Think about it for a second, the computer has to sense the gas pedal moving via sensor and respond by energizing the throttle motor. Got to be a slight lag compared to cable operated throttle and I can sure feel it.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:57 PM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
I think the throttle is sluggish in every mode compared to live throttle linkage cars. I compare the C7 with my C4. Sure the C7 is stronger and faster but the response is no where near as "right now" as the old cable operated throttle in the C4. A clear example is sitting at idle and revving to hear the exhaust. That old C4 is lightening quick to respond, not so with the C7. Think about it for a second, the computer has to sense the gas pedal moving via sensor and respond by energizing the throttle motor. Got to be a slight lag compared to cable operated throttle and I can sure feel it.
I've always been happy with my C7 but this past weekend after driving it around all day on Saturday I got out and immediately for into a Z06. Pulled out of the driveway and to a red light where I had to stop. I hit the throttle like I would in my Vette and I could not believe how much more responsive the Z06 was. Totally surprised me.

-Mark
Old 05-11-2015, 04:08 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Throttle response on C7 is very "different" than that on my previous car - 2009 Z4 35i with DCT

Took a few hundred miles to adjust to the difference in the C7.

I'm in sport or track mode all the time, learned to use paddle shifters on the fly or shift into manual shift mode at the appropriate time, and how to modulate the gas pedal throughout the HP and Torque range for best response.

Delayed or slow throttle response is a non-issue.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 05-11-2015 at 04:11 PM.
JST4PLA (05-29-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Tell us how you really feel about throttle response?

Old 05-11-2015, 04:59 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Pedal to the metal as the saying goes and all is good. Just look at the 0-60 and 1/4 ET.
I am very satisfied with throttle response.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:05 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine felt a bit sluggish in the first month or so. It has improved greatly, the entire drivetrain has gotten steadily more smooth.

At 4800 mi, I find the throttle response excellent and more power is just a modest throttle movement ahead.

Old 5.0 Mustangs? I had one of the later 5.0s and this car would simply slaughter any of them that doesn’t have higher numerical gears and forced induction. If you think otherwise, you’re glorifying the past. Don
Old 05-11-2015, 06:26 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I find it to be somewhat lacking. I have a M7 and it is loads of fun...but if you are just easing the clutch out it will stall if you don't kick the throttle. Never had the problem with my C6. Don't get me wrong I love the C7, it's quick and will put you back in the seat with the right gear. I notice it more on the highway when I am gently trying to pass on the interstate.
It is just not the old feel that was around 17-18 years ago. I also feel that some of this has to do with the CAFE regulations that are so much of todays car manufacturing. This is OK because we now have very fast cars that get good gas mileage.
But it is lacking in the right now get up and go feeling that you got with the mechanical linkage of years ago. A quick down shift will fix that problem, though. Nothing like 2nd gear for passing.

Quick Reply: Tell us how you really feel about throttle response?