Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Favorite wax

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Back to the OP's original questions about factory and dealer prep - when I picked up my C7 (dealer 170 miles from my home, I put the car on a trailer to get it home last winter) the dealer agreed to leave the shipping cover on just as it came from Bowling Green. I was the first one outside of the factory to see and touch the paint. The paint was perfect - I've never acquired a new vehicle with paint in better condition. This all told me that the initial "detail" by the dealership likely does more harm than good.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Has anyone tried "Bikini"?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:00 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

First thing I would suggest:

Hand wash...
Clay Bar or Nanoskin the car....
Hand wash again....
Apply a Paint Coating...Like Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating....Then...if you want....you could apply a wax over the paint coating above.

I have used the Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating on both my 2009 Jaguar XKR and my 2014 Porsche Cayman 981. $79.00 for a 4 oz. spray bottle that will do several cars.

Once the new 2015 Corvette C7 arrives, even though it is new, it will be clay barred or Nanoskinned, then the paint coating will be applied.

I have made purchases of $195.00 waxes, (Pinnacle Synergy Wax) and have used Meguairs NXT Gen 2.0 Paste wax for $22.00

There are a host of favorites when it comes to wax. I find that the $22.00 wax is just as good as the $195.00.

There is allot of hype on detail products and waxes. Every brand states theirs is the best. Find the one that suits you best and use it.

I am sure that you will get lots of opinions here on what is good or bad, It is all subjective to the owner.

In addition, a nice picture of a shinny sparkling car in a photo doesn't show much. You have to evaluate each car and the paint surface up close and personal. Any vehicle after detailing can look awesome in a photo. Ultimately you want the paint surface to be smooth as glass, and any wax, or paint coating to provide protection from the normal every day elements. Water beading and longevity of the wax coating is also important. A good car owner will detail and re wax his ride about every 6 months. A good hand wash once week or sooner makes for a nice looking car all the time.

Detailing your own car can be lots of fun and provide lots of satisfaction. However there are steps to follow in order to obtain maxium quality. Just washing and waxing doesn't cut the mustard any longer.

If your spending $60 to $70 grand on a car, don't be afraid to spend a couple hundred bucks for some high quality products. Many of these products will last for many detail jobs. A good can of paste wax will go a long way. Quality microfiber towels can always be washed.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:00 AM
Hdhuntr01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collinite#915 Marque D' Elegance Premium SHOW CAR Wax

I have used this wax on custom cars and motorcycles for years. I doubt you can find a better wax. It was originally designed for boats. I do agree with many of the other comments about prep work and about sealers but to answer the OPs original question, I highly recommend Collinite #915
Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger L
I wasn't able to read your reply; became to distracted by your avatar-Merry Christmas
Glad I could spread some holiday cheer. Merry Christmas to you also.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:38 AM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdhuntr01
Collinite#915 Marque D' Elegance Premium SHOW CAR Wax

I have used this wax on custom cars and motorcycles for years. I doubt you can find a better wax. It was originally designed for boats. I do agree with many of the other comments about prep work and about sealers but to answer the OPs original question, I highly recommend Collinite #915
I agree. I've used sealants on my boats and cars and after a few months the finish became hazy. Went back to Collinite and get great longevity and a glowing finish with no bad after results. Only bitch is it's just so much work to apply...
Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax #6.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:28 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk03
Yes you are right. Meant to put I wax the vehicle, and inbetween waxes ill do the glaze after each wash. I got my z51 about a month ago, so its just been waxed and glazed for now. Eventually going to seal it also.
I've been playing around with the Adam's products for the last couple months and I suggest you try this regime;

Prep surface (clay, etc.).
Polish using Correcting then Finishing Polish (Correction may not be needed).
Apply Brilliant Glaze to bring out the shine and micro fill any imperfections.
Apply a wax or sealant of your choice, I like Americanna but you could use Patriot or their sealer.
Follow up with their Detail Spray every time you wash to bring out the depth and extend the life of the wax/sealant.

I'm very happy with the results but YMMV

Last edited by mjw930; 12-22-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 AM
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

I totally agree with Glen on this. There are many good waxes out there and I have probably tried them all. It is all about the prep! Yes a good glaze and wax will fill most swirls and scratches but why fill them? With my new C7 I went a different route. I washed with Dawn, decontaminated with Iron-X and then clayed using Griot's spray. Then I spent nearly 30 hours masking off and correcting the paint with Meguiar's DA micro-fiber pads and their paint correction product. I followed it up by slowly buffing every panel with Menzerna's 4500 SF fine polish using a very soft pad to jewel the clear coat. After a wipe down with 50/50 alcohol/distilled water I sealed everything with 22ple Pro signature sealant followed up the next day with 22ple final coat sealant.
My car now has an unbelievable gloss shine that looks wet. I may follow up with some Gogo juice carnuba wax to add even more depth. I still need to take some decent pictures out in the sun but that may have to wait until Spring! Here are a few:

I masked off all of the seams and trim.

Prior to sealing the paint

deep gloss wet look

I still need to polish and seal the wheels and then maybe start all over again on the JSB C6 convertible! You would think that a brand new car would not need paint correction but there were plenty of scratches and swirl marks especially around the driver's door from the transportation cover. It is all about the prep ... about the prep ... about the prep!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:08 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

My favorite paste waxes in order: BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun, Adams Americana, Pinnacle Souveran.

Haven't tried that many sealants, but have had great success with Blackfire Wet Diamond, and Blackfire Midnight Sun is my go-to spray detailer.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:33 AM
djbojan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wagon looks stellar! I actually plan to purchase Ammo NYC or Adams
Polishes for my first "cleaning kit". I have been watching Larry's videos on YouTube for a while now, very informative. Are you happy with the Ammo product?

Originally Posted by SilversledC7
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (actually a sealer) on my wife's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I use the spray wax as a lubricating layer while drying and to keep building layers on top of the base sealant. Nice product and readily available everywhere.

On my cars, including the C7, I use Ammo Skin (polymer sealant) but before a Saturday night out with the wife, will use Auto Finesse Illusion paste carnauba wax to give it additional shine. Creates an amazing depth of shine.

However, as Glen said, it is all in the prep work. There is no magic wax.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Hawk03
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the process I use on my vehicles, on my previous black truck everyone would comment to me on how well the paint looked. No swirl marks, paint always looked "wet". I did the sealer and wax since it was my dd and always outside.
Its all in the prep work, my buddy bought a black C7 and the dealership prepped it for him. When we went to go pick it up, it already had swirl marks from when they washed it there.
Originally Posted by mjw930
I've been playing around with the Adam's products for the last couple months and I suggest you try this regime;

Prep surface (clay, etc.).
Polish using Correcting then Finishing Polish (Correction may not be needed).
Apply Brilliant Glaze to bring out the shine and micro fill any imperfections.
Apply a wax or sealant of your choice, I like Americanna but you could use Patriot or their sealer.
Follow up with their Detail Spray every time you wash to bring out the depth and extend the life of the wax/sealant.

I'm very happy with the results but YMMV

Old 12-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax
Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection for a sealant that offers nice beauty

But in the end its really all about the prep work that's done before your wax or sealant goes on. Wash, Clay or Nanoskin mitt, Polishing Compound according to need, Paint cleaner, Glaze and wax. If using a sealant skip the glaze and apply sealant after paint cleaner.

PC
Old 12-22-2014, 01:00 PM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djbojan
The wagon looks stellar! I actually plan to purchase Ammo NYC or Adams
Polishes for my first "cleaning kit". I have been watching Larry's videos on YouTube for a while now, very informative. Are you happy with the Ammo product?
Thanks.

I have conversed with Larry several times and he is genuinely a great guys and very accessible if you have issues.

I don't use the Ammo soap because frankly I'd be ordering every week with the cars I wash. I just use the Griot's soap which is pH balanced like all good soaps and it have worked great. The Ammo Skin and Hydrate products are excellent. "Love Marks" are literally a thing of the past using his techniques and products. I also use the interior cleaners. While everyone seems to focus on the exterior products, I personally think his interior cleaners and conditioners are the gem of his line of products.

Again, the Adams and Blackfire and etc. etc. stuff may be just as good or even better. Just choose something you like and use it often and correctly.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

Im glad to see everyone here has realized we all pick our fav's. I hate detailing war threads: "use what I use!!!....LOL

I personally believe as I said, it's the procedure, tool and pad selection, and technique that makes the diff. There are no "master chemists" in my opin.....every major player makes good stuff.

I use blackfire as its the easiest coming off when I need to. When I find something easier - and I will- blackfire will be relegated to the back of the detailing closet.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:10 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

:
Originally Posted by SSTG
If you love waxing your car and wanting to avoid wax build up, Check out Pinnacle Souveran from Autogeek, they are a forum Sponsor also.
Amen to that...love it.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:04 PM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently use Zaino, and did it "by the book". three coats and it looks great!. Used on my C5 and compliments all the time. Switched NXT2 on the C6, but was never as happy, but that could have been because I didn't clay bar.

As others have said, lots on good products out there, but nothing beats a good prep.

Get notified of new replies

To Favorite wax

Old 12-22-2014, 05:06 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Used Rejex on my C6 with good results but moving on to something else with the C7, just not sure of what yet.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Used Rejex on my C6 with good results but moving on to something else with the C7, just not sure of what yet.
Rejex is certainly quick and easy compared to Zaino. I used it on my former CTS-V. I keep trying different products but always wind up back with Zaino.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Any good quality wax will work. Clay bar the car first then wax. My car came with Dupont Sealer so I use Fukken every now and then after washing. Mostly on the front end where bug hit. With Fukken they easily wipe off. Google Fukken and check it out.

Quick Reply: Favorite wax