Sponsored by:

Favorite wax

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Favorite wax

First off let me say that I have no idea how they prep the cars at the factory, or at the dealership when it's delivered. They say they wash the car when it's delivered, but when I got mine home I couldn't believe how dirty the car was. Understand that I use Qtips in the engine compartment, so I'm pretty picky.

Since the car is new I assume it doesn't have one layer of wax on it so after I washed it I used Meguiars Ultimate spray wax which leaves a mirror like finish. Normally I use a paste wax, but on new paint I don't see the need.

Anyone else have a wax they prefer which they think is better?
Old 12-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

No wax. Seal it instead, much better than any wax.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
No wax. Seal it instead, much better than any wax.
More durable maybe, but hardly better since they both do the same thing. Besides, detailing my car is part of my enjoyment in being a car owner.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Its really not about any Super whiz bang, latest and greatest wax. They all work very well.

Its about the prep and procedure. one way what many of us do here:

Downloads:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0

Last edited by Glen e; 12-21-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Rakkasan
More durable maybe, but hardly better since they both do the same thing. Besides, detailing my car is part of my enjoyment in being a car owner.
More durable = better in my book. YMMV.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Swt_86
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been using Zaino for years with good result but with the new C7, I am going to try Glen e's process (in about four months when it warms up here.)
Old 12-21-2014, 04:57 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

First off let me say that I have no idea how they prep the cars at the factory, or at the dealership when it's delivered. They say they wash the car when it's delivered, but when I got mine home I couldn't believe how dirty the car was. Understand that I use Qtips in the engine compartment, so I'm pretty picky.

Since the car is new I assume it doesn't have one layer of wax on it so after I washed it I used Meguiars Ultimate spray wax which leaves a mirror like finish. Normally I use a paste wax, but on new paint I don't see the need.

If you love waxing your car and wanting to avoid wax build up, Check out Pinnacle Souveran from Autogeek, they are a forum Sponsor also.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 757 Posts

Have used for many years on my C-6 and now using on my C-7 - Meguiars NXT 2.0 Sealant. Looks great. 3 coats to start off with. Give it several hours to dry, wait 24 hours between coats.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:51 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Have used for many years on my C-6 and now using on my C-7 - Meguiars NXT 2.0 Sealant. Looks great. 3 coats to start off with. Give it several hours to dry, wait 24 hours between coats.
Great OTC product with very good "filling" capability.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:25 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

In my opinion spray waxes are for instant and short term results. If you want to fully protect the finish on your car for a longer period of time use a good hand or machine applied sealant, or possibly wax. I think the machine applied sealant provides the maximum amount of protection and durability, followed by the machine applied wax.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Always used one of the latest waxes on my C6. At work I always parked it next to one of my product managers C6. He swore by Zaino. His car always looked better than mine but I didn’t want to spend the time! Now being semiretired, before my C7 was delivered in early October 2013 I investigated using Zaino. Found a simpler way to use on the net, it does not require mixing a small amount each application as is their standard suggestion and what my product manager employed. I sent an email to Sal at Zaino to see if that was acceptable. He supported that it was a fine way to use their products!
1. After washing the car I used Griots Garage Clay applied with their Speed Spray. Was very easy, but initially and even the third recent application there was hardly any visible dirt! Took ~15 minutes. Used a standard microfiber towel to remove the residue. Easy to do. Also Clayed the Wheels.
2. Applied Zanio Z-5 straight from the bottle (without mixing with their accelerator to the whole car) than removed it, easy to remove if used sparingly, the key to all Zaino products. Let it dry ~30 minutes. Sal said because of my car color Z-5 was best to use.
3. Applied their sealer, Z-CS directly over the Z-5. According to Sal, that sets the Z-5 and adds a quality seal. It goes on in 5 minutes and does not require removal! Like all Zaino products the trick is to use very little.
4. I used only Z-CS (without the Z-5 first) on the Wheels and Carbon Fiber Shirts
5. Next day I put on Z-6, which I occasionally use as a detail spray (Sal recommend this step for an extra “pop” but he didn’t say to wait a day). It went on easy when I just put a slight spray in a small area and quickly buffed it in. Can’t really say it looked all that much different since it was excellent before, but it did fix some residue found on hood
Car has looked great for the past 14 months! As mentioned used the above procedure 3 times.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-22-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:37 PM
CVG993
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Griots, Malms, Mezerna and a few others. I think on the C7, I may try CMagic.
I have a 968 cab, which I need to give a good polish and then put a finishing touch on it. I may do that while I wait on my C7. It will help pass the time.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by bigblock427
In my opinion spray waxes are for instant and short term results. If you want to fully protect the finish on your car for a longer period of time use a good hand or machine applied sealant, or possibly wax. I think the machine applied sealant provides the maximum amount of protection and durability, followed by the machine applied wax.
I wasn't able to read your reply; became to distracted by your avatar-Merry Christmas
Old 12-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Hawk03
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use adams patriot wax and top it off with brilliant glaze.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 PM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (actually a sealer) on my wife's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I use the spray wax as a lubricating layer while drying and to keep building layers on top of the base sealant. Nice product and readily available everywhere.

On my cars, including the C7, I use Ammo Skin (polymer sealant) but before a Saturday night out with the wife, will use Auto Finesse Illusion paste carnauba wax to give it additional shine. Creates an amazing depth of shine.

However, as Glen said, it is all in the prep work. There is no magic wax.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:02 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Wolfgang Sealer follow it up 48 hours later with Wolfgang Fuzion wax and monthly wax to enhance
Old 12-21-2014, 09:26 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk03
I use adams patriot wax and top it off with brilliant glaze.
That's actually backwards, glaze is the 2nd step after polish and before wax/sealer. You are wasting both your time and product putting glaze on top of the wax.

I use Adams Finish Polish, Glaze and Americanna Wax and love the depth of the finished product. If you want longer lasting protection top it with their new sealer instead of the Wax. But even with the Americanna it's at least 4 months between applications.

Last edited by mjw930; 12-21-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Favorite wax

Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Anything by Wizards Products.

In particular their Mist N Shine.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Hawk03
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you are right. Meant to put I wax the vehicle, and inbetween waxes ill do the glaze after each wash. I got my z51 about a month ago, so its just been waxed and glazed for now. Eventually going to seal it also.

Originally Posted by mjw930
That's actually backwards, glaze is the 2nd step after polish and before wax/sealer. You are wasting both your time and product putting glaze on top of the wax.

I use Adams Finish Polish, Glaze and Americanna Wax and love the depth of the finished product. If you want longer lasting protection top it with their new sealer instead of the Wax. But even with the Americanna it's at least 4 months between applications.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:16 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm picky too and use the same spray wax. Looks great and takes 15 minutes to do the whole car. I use to spend 2 hours sealing with Wolfgang but Mcguiras is just as good less effort.

Quick Reply: Favorite wax