OnStar took my minutes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:04 AM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default OnStar took my minutes

I have had OnStar in my DD for the past two years. In November I renewed my OnStar for one year knowing I had 340 minutes in reserve. I received my OnStar monthly report and found I had 340 EXPIRED minutes in reserve. How do minutes expire during an active subscription?

I called OnStar this morning. They told me the minutes they had sold me were expired and offered to sell me more minutes. I told them I had 340 minutes and wanted them restored to my account. They said the would give me one hundred minutes on them. I declined.

Moral of this story is, I cancelled my OnStar subscription, will cancel subscription on 2014 C7 next month and will cancel wife's DD. They lost three active subscriptions due to their total lack of customer care. If I buy minutes, have an active subscription, minutes should not expire.

Last edited by jluke; 12-22-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jluke
I have had OnStar in my DD for the past two years. In November I renewed my OnStar for one year knowing I had 340 minutes in reserve. I received my OnStar monthly report and found I had 340 EXPIRED minutes in reserve. How do minutes expire during an active subscription?

I called OnStar this morning. They told me the minutes they had sold me were expired and offered to sell me more minutes. I told them I had 340 minutes and wanted them restored to my account. They said the would give me one hundred minutes on them. I declined.

Moral of this story is, I cancelled my OnStar subscription, will cancel subscription on 2014 C7 next month and will cancel wife's DD. They lost three active subscriptions due to their total lack of customer care. If I buy minutes, have an active subscription, minutes should not expire.
I agree, if you paid for minutes, they should be there until you use them, as long as your subscription stayes active. The other issue I have with Onstar is that I have Onstar on two vehicles but I get no discount for the second vehicle even though both vehicles are serviced out of the same account.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any other unsavoury OnStar stories out there? I will be monitoring the OnStar feature set during my trial period for sure, but I am sure things like this will not appear in the trial.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I have never had this problem with OnStar. I've had minutes expire and they've always restored them when I bought a new package.

They even suspend my subscription when I store my Vette for the winter and then pick up the extra months when I bring it back out.

If they've changed their philosophy, it's a relatively new thing.

I'd talk to a supervisor about restoring everything and if not, your actions are certainly warranted.

My biggest beef is they can't/won't shift the minutes to a different car when you trade the old one in.

Keep us posted if anything changes.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:51 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
I have never had this problem with OnStar. I've had minutes expire and they've always restored them when I bought a new package.

They even suspend my subscription when I store my Vette for the winter and then pick up the extra months when I bring it back out.

I'd talk to a supervisor about restoring everything and if not, your actions are certainly warranted.

My biggest beef is they can't/won't shift the minutes to a different car when you trade the old one in.

THis has pretty much been my experience as well...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:53 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Me too. I have never had minutes taken from me, they always put them back. The OP is not telling everything.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 AM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by red2012
Me too. I have never had minutes taken from me, they always put them back. The OP is not telling everything.
I am telling the entire telephone conversation. They offered to reduce my monthly subscription but I told them it's not the money but the 340 minutes.

I don't understand why you would think I would not be truthful regarding this matter.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 AM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I am telling the entire telephone conversation. They offered to reduce my monthly subscription but I told them it's not the money but the 340 minutes.

I don't understand why you would think I would not be truthful regarding this matter.
Here is a copy of my report. I am enrolled in continuous coverage with 340 expired minutes.

OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics from your 2013 Cadillac Escalade as of 12/20/2014

Dear John Lukens,

Enjoy peace of mind knowing that your vehicle will continue to check in every month to help you make sure that it's ready for the road. Be sure to look for your next monthly report for updates on your vehicle's health.

Engine and Transmission System

Emissions System

Air Bag System

StabiliTrak® Stability Control System

WATCH VIDEO

Antilock Braking System

OnStar System

Vehicle Maintenance
No oil change due at this time.

Remaining Oil Life: 85%

Mileage: 21,358

VIEW MAINTENANCE SUMMARY

Additional Maintenance Items

Based on your current mileage, no items on the additional maintenance list are due at this time.

Tire Pressure: Low (Add Air)
• One or more tires are low and need air. Inflate them to the recommended tire pressure listed below as soon as possible.
• Properly inflated tires can improve your fuel economy, vehicle performance, and tire life.
• Recommended tire pressure - Front: 35 psi,

Rear: 35 psi

Left Front:
Low, 31 psi

Left Rear:
Low, 31 psi

Right Front:
Low, 32 psi

Right Rear:
Low, 31 psi

VIEW TIRE PRESSURE INFORMATION

Review charts of your vehicle's history.
OIL LIFE HISTORY
MILEAGE HISTORY

2013 Cadillac Escalade
VIN: 1GYS4CEF0DR223999

GM OWNER CENTER ONLINE

Recall Information

To check for recalls on your GM vehicle, click here.

Warranty Tracker

Your warranty coverage is current and active.

OnStar¹ Subscription
• Account #: 013-8661-098
• Safe & Sound
• Enrolled in Continuous Coverage

Navigation

OnStar Navigation guides you to wherever you want to go with a single button press, which makes it safer and easier than smartphone or other navigation systems. To learn about how you can get a free Navigation trial, click the button below.

Hands-Free Calling
• Calling #: 215-817-4467
• Minutes Remaining: 340

You are currently out of minutes. Refill minutes now.

Insurance Benefit
Your mileage makes you eligible for a low mileage discount on auto insurance.

XM Satellite Radio²
• Radio ID #: 1RL8N245
• XM Radio active
Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

ONSTAR minutes "expires 12 months from purchase". Unfortunately there is no roll-over. This is straight off the webpage. Connections Tab, Hands Free Calling option at the top of the price listing of the different packages for the minutes.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM
georgied
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

This could be a change in terms. When I had minutes active in my CTS, OS would send me an email informing me that the minutes were about to expire. They would offer me a new package which would include rolling over my unused minutes for another 12 months if I purchased additional minutes. They didn't do that for my C7. They just expired the minutes.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:29 PM
FlashofRed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI...The OnStar subscription contract and the Phone Minutes contract can be two different time periods, e.g., they will expire at different times. Also, when I sold my Buick Lacrosse, they transferred the remaining minutes from the Lacrosse to my Enclave at my request. When I put my Stingray away for the winter, they cancelled my account and suspended my minutes so the minutes will be available when I open a new account in the Spring.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:07 PM
smithrebel
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I never renewed any minutes. I only used 1 of the 60 free minutes when I picked up my car in April. Was connected to Bluetooth or whatever and still have as much calling as I want. Still shows 59 minutes on my account from April.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:08 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

I've declined ONSTAR with every GM purchase I've had including the free time just because of what I read here over the years.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 12-22-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:35 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

good for you broither..they did that to me with abou 100 mins. I cannot wait to see your thead on "I went to cancel my Onstar...." they take idiot t a whole new dimension...
Old 12-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Tannman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agee about the restoration of minutes. And, I have had them transfer minutes from one vehicle to another that I owned when I sold it.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:49 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Here is a copy of my report. I am enrolled in continuous coverage with 340 expired minutes.

OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics from your 2013 Cadillac Escalade as of 12/20/2014
Uhhhh..might wanna use the EDIT button........
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

WHen I signed up for onstar, I was advised that they WILL expire within 12 months...

I barely used any on my volt, so they will expire. I still have like 290 mins or something.

With a cellphone, and bluetooth, I just never ever need the service.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar took my minutes

Old 12-22-2014, 07:41 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Malum1
ONSTAR minutes "expires 12 months from purchase". Unfortunately there is no roll-over. This is straight off the webpage. Connections Tab, Hands Free Calling option at the top of the price listing of the different packages for the minutes.
If you call OnStar before your subscription expires, they will carry over any non used minutes to your renewal.
I've done it for 5 straight years, so I know they do it. If you don't call before it expires, even if your subscription renews automatically, you will lose the minutes from the previous year.
I know, it happened to me the first renewal, thinking they would automatically be carried over. When I called, I found out I had 0 minutes on my OnStar.
From then on, I call the 1-888 number just before it expires and before it renews. That way, I also can haggle over the renewal price at the same time
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Why does anyone pay for OnStar?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:15 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

The OnStar Customer Service you speak to when first calling do not seem to have much latitude on the rules. Ask to speak to Technical Support before your minutes expire and you will have better luck. I transferred minutes from my C6 to my C7 by contacting Technical Support a week before my new car arrived and had a case number. I did have to buy the first 60 minutes on the C7 because they no longer include free minutes with a new car. That way they get your credit card number. My C7 has 360 minutes for the $10 I paid at delivery for the 60 minutes.

Quick Reply: OnStar took my minutes