Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 at Silver Star Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 03:59 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaFiveFan
I think dealer 'market adjustments' are about as ethical as Home Depot or Lowe's jacking up the price of plywood before an impending hurricane. Sure, you can do it, but that doesn't mean you should. If I saw a dealership with a 20K 'market adjustment' on a Z06, I'd politely tell them that they might eventually make that 20K on some idiot's impulse-purchase, but I'd definitely never consider them for a future purchase myself. And I'd tell them that I'd never miss a chance in the future to tell everyone that would listen how low-life said dealer was.
I agree that I would tell the dealer asking over MSRP that I would never buy any car there at any time in the future. I would also see nothing wrong with it if others want to pay it.

I disagree with the plywood/hurricane analogy. The plywood, or say gasoline, would be a necessity in an emergency, and some states actually have laws against gouging in such situations. A Corvette is strictly a discretionary purchase and subject to supply & demand pricing.

As with the Stingray, one only has to wait six months to buy a Z06 at a reasonable/discounted price. If one doesn't have the patience to do that, then they can willingly pay the ridiculous price. Laws can't protect people from knowingly paying a premium for a discretionary purchase.

Another analogy is ticket scalping--a la Stub Hub--you can wait in line at the box office and pay MSRP or you can buy whatever you want at any time on Stub Hub, probably for a large premium. Everybody has a choice. In the hurricane, you don't have that same choice.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:04 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Any markup is too much.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 at Silver Star Chevrolet