C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to study up on the most for C7 arrival?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:53 AM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Default What to study up on the most for C7 arrival?

reading thru the forum it seems like there is so much to learn about these cars. Mine is on the train and should arrive in about 3 weeks. Shark Gray Coupe 3LT with A8.

So, those that have taken delivery, what things or areas do you recommend I study up on the most in preparation for the arrival? i.e. priority?

Thanks.

P.S. And yes, I expect the usual smart-*** remarks, so go ahead. Hopefully in between them there will be some actual valuable input on things to learn first and foremost before the car gets here.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:58 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Depending on what else you drive you'll likely find the infotainment system a bit overwhelming at first. That gets better with time - mostly for me by figuring out select things I will use routinely and for the time being ignoring some of the other capabilities. Beyond that you'll find it very nice to drive and more refined than its predecessor. I know the excitement and anticipation you have - I was there a year ago (took delivery 12/28/13). Congratulations!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:00 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

First I would learn about the transmission auto and manual modes, then how to pair your phone, then how to set your dash to your liking.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Congrats on your almost arrival Brad

Obviously, reading through the Owners Manual is a good place to start and it's available online. The "trickiest" part of learning the C7 involves the InfoTainment and Driver Display stuff. However, I think just reading about it doesn't really do all that much good as sitting in the car and playing with stuff as you read the manual is much less confusing. Know what they say about hands on?

Of course, you could get a jump on things by loading your music onto an SD card and exporting your playlists to it. One less thing to do later!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:07 PM
red63vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where the local radar traps are located.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by BradSW
reading thru the forum it seems like there is so much to learn about these cars. Mine is on the train and should arrive in about 3 weeks. Shark Gray Coupe 3LT with A8.

So, those that have taken delivery, what things or areas do you recommend I study up on the most in preparation for the arrival? i.e. priority?

Thanks..
Know how you feel. Ordered my C7 early in 2013 before the 1st was produced. Sold my C6 in March expecting it to take a while, it took 1 day! Had lots of time to investigate but at that time little other than GM info. First get the Owner’s Manual as a PDF, it’s searchable, much better than the printed one you’ll get with the car. Then get the Infotainment manual, also as a PDF. Don’t be too concerned it is difficult to follow, you really need to play with it!
Then there are quality reviews from Road & Track and Car and Driver as well as some excellent video’s, Google and search YouTube.
Last, you may want to look at the 31 PDF’s I made of issues with the C7 and things I added. You can start with this one, there are links to 30 others shown in that doc. http://netwelding.com/Muffler_Rust.pdf
Good luck, study hard!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-26-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:13 PM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should search the forum for threads concerning the delivery inspection checklist. I've read several stories of people who wished they knew what to look for. It's easy to miss defects or damage in the excitement. Not an issue with mine as it was already on the showroom, so I could check it out before deciding to buy.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:20 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Congrats on your almost arrival Brad

Obviously, reading through the Owners Manual is a good place to start and it's available online. The "trickiest" part of learning the C7 involves the InfoTainment and Driver Display stuff. However, I think just reading about it doesn't really do all that much good as sitting in the car and playing with stuff as you read the manual is much less confusing. Know what they say about hands on?

Of course, you could get a jump on things by loading your music onto an SD card and exporting your playlists to it. One less thing to do later!
Thanks Ken.....I think you captured more of what I meant with my post.....there's a lot you can read but some things may be best to dive into once you get the car......in other words, won't stick much until it is hands-on......other things may be good to read up before delivery.

I'll search the forum, but what size SD cards are you guys getting and any formatting I need to be aware of......good idea by the way.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:22 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by MADMANC7
I think you should search the forum for threads concerning the delivery inspection checklist. I've read several stories of people who wished they knew what to look for. It's easy to miss defects or damage in the excitement. Not an issue with mine as it was already on the showroom, so I could check it out before deciding to buy.
Thanks.....yes, I found the checklist and plan on utilizing it.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:24 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Will yours be a Z51? If so, learn how to check the oil and make sure it isn't overfilled!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:26 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
Will yours be a Z51? If so, learn how to check the oil and make sure it isn't overfilled!
Nope, a base model. But I have seen all the threads warning of this.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:31 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Watch the information videos on line. There are many.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:38 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BradSW
Thanks.....yes, I found the checklist and plan on utilizing it.
The checklist is very good. I had it in hand when I picked mine up and still missed some things (not significant) that I would have liked to at least point out to the dealer. The excitement of actually getting this car clouds one's thinking.

The most important part of reading the Owner's manual, the Infotainment manual, etc. is that you are familiar with what it talked about, not necessarily the specifics, so you can look the info up when you come upon a question that you may have. No need to memorize it and, as was said, the downloaded manuals are more friendly than thumbing through the pages of the printed copy.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:45 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Talon90 (Paul) did a video of a presentation he made about time production beganon the Infotainment system. Worth watching even though more than 60 minutes long. I watched it twice--once before I got the car and once after.

Fussing with the Infotainment system is very distracting when you get the car, so some pre-study is recommended.

Have fun! You will LOVE this car.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:58 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

You have a 3LT correct. Find out which Fob is #1 and #2. Setting your seat position for driving and exiting can be little challenging. Like not moving the seat all the way to the back or you will touch a sensor that makes adjusting the seat harder than it should be.
I assume you have a garage, setting the controls on the visor can be confusing. One of my garage doors has a commercial motor and it takes 2 people the set the garage opener for this type.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Watch the infotainment videos on line. Do a search, there are now quite a few to choose. I learned quite a bit at the shopping mall waiting on my wife. I programmed my radio and worked the navigation system tailoring the routes and loading multiple destinations. Six months and 2,500 miles, still learning.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:01 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by 5150 BRD
Watch the information videos on line. There are many.
Great! Didn't even think of googling that.......I will do a complete search. Already viewed the ones at corvetteindy.com

Get notified of new replies

To What to study up on the most for C7 arrival?

Old 12-26-2014, 01:03 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
You have a 3LT correct. Find out which Fob is #1 and #2. Setting your seat position for driving and exiting can be little challenging. Like not moving the seat all the way to the back or you will touch a sensor that makes adjusting the seat harder than it should be.
I assume you have a garage, setting the controls on the visor can be confusing. One of my garage doors has a commercial motor and it takes 2 people the set the garage opener for this type.
I am tall so will be doing the procedure to set the seat at the lowest level and as far back as possible including recline angle. So I think the only exit adjustment I will want is raising the steering wheel out of the way.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:13 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Break-in period info ---modes of driving --cellphone setup ---onstar---media info---driver info-setup--- check for recalls once Onstar setup ---nav setup---- check for an invoice and build sheets and check in cubby hole in trunk for small items --get front license surround and mounting bracket if state requires it !!! Seat exit and driver position setup !! I put wheel locks on my car Wayne
Old 12-26-2014, 10:19 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't wait. Go the the C7 FAQs thread and read the PDF version of the GM Corvette Manual and infotainment systeml while you wait for the car to arrive.

Quick Reply: What to study up on the most for C7 arrival?