C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know how to get status of a Union Pacific rail car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:05 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Default Anybody know how to get status of a Union Pacific rail car?

Found out my car left Toledo on Dec. 21 on Norfolk Southern. Then transferred to Union Pacific in Kansas City on Dec. 26.....on it's way to Mira Loma, CA. Rail car # is 710238.

Sure would like to get a current status. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:30 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BradSW
Found out my car left Toledo on Dec. 21 on Norfolk Southern. Then transferred to Union Pacific in Kansas City on Dec. 26.....on it's way to Mira Loma, CA. Rail car # is 710238.

Sure would like to get a current status. Thanks.

OK, Here you go....Please read it all carefully so you don't screw it up for others.

CSX & Union Pacific Railcar Tracking of New Corvettes

New car buyers in the Cadillac community have figured out how to track rail shipments and were able to successfully identify when the railcar transporting their own vehicles would hit the local railhead. This process may be helpful to those of us waiting for the deliveries of our Corvettes. In any case, here is some information drawn mainly from Cadillac forums. At least one Corvette owner, “cj2driver” has used this method and confirmed it worked for tracking his Corvette.
------------
Your car goes from the factory at Bowling Green, KY to Toledo, OH by truck where it may sit for up to a week before being loaded on a CSX railcar. From there, it may be a few more days before it arrives outside Chicago where it is transferred to a Union Pacific railcar. From that point, it could be several more weeks before it gets to California (CKW note: or in our case, Washington), where it will be unloaded and will sit for anywhere from a few days to as long as a week waiting for truck transport to your dealer. It can potentially take this long but it can also be much quicker. One shipment we know of took only about 2 weeks [since having been built] until it arrived in Mira Loma, CA. It was trucked out to the dealership a day or two later. It's still pretty painful because no one seems to be able to give an accurate ETA.
-------------

First of All, tell your dealer to look at the Event History. Your shipment could be closer than you think. When cars are shipped by rail, they will show the 4B00 status 3 times:

First time: when the car is built and waiting to go to Toledo. When it's on the truck it goes to 4200.

Second time: when it gets to Toledo it goes back to 4B00 while waiting for the train. Once on the train, it’s back to 4200.

Third time: when it gets to the distribution center in SoCal (CKW note: in our case, it’s probably Auburn, WA)...back to 4B00 until a truck picks it up and takes it to your dealer.

Don't assume it's in BG because of the 4B00. While it could be, it might also be in Toledo or Chicago, or……!

Of primary importance: Never talk to live personnel at the railroad! Only use the automated phone system. If it attempts to transfer you to a live person please hang up. The railcar information provided by GM is given as a courtesy. Keep in mind these automated systems are not intended to be used by the public but are for use by those in the logistics end of the business that use them daily, all day long.

Tracking on CSX:

1. The Chevy customer service folks or dealer should be able to provide the rail car # and it looks like ETTX######. This may be in GM Global Connect under history. Ask them to look for a value starting in ETTX to help them.

2. Call CSX at 1-800-235-2352

3. When prompted for location or weight, press 1 on your phone for location

4. When prompted for the car’s initials, either say 'ETTX' or press 32-81-81-92 and wait

5. When prompted for the 6-digit car number, say or key-in your 6 digit ETTX car number

6. When prompted for the next car, either say 'Done' or press the pound sign (#) twice

Tracking on Union Pacific:

1. Call UP at 1 800 877-5123 1 800 877-5123

2. Follow phone prompts for Trace

3. Say the railcar number complete and clearly. Example ETTX123456 all together

4. Listen for your update
Old 01-01-2015, 07:10 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Thank you very much.....that did it.

I had all the CSX automated call info, just that the dealer told me the rail car's initials were NS for Norfolk Southern, and to ignore the ETTX and just use the numbers for the rail car #. Got "no status" for 10 days. Looks like I committed a goof today because I called Norfolk Southern to find out anything if I could. The guy was very nice and told me the rail car was turned over to Union Pacific on Dec. 26 in Kansas City.

I tried the Union Pacific number you provided, but they could not provide status either. So went back to the CSX number using ETTX as the initials and found out it left Gila, AZ today. Maybe it transferred to another rail line there and that is why UP couldn't give me an update.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed instructions. Looks like I might be getting my car a week from Saturday if all goes well. That will be less than 2 months from mailing in the deposit check to delivery in Cali....much less than expected.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:33 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BradSW
Thank you very much.....that did it.

I had all the CSX automated call info, just that the dealer told me the rail car's initials were NS for Norfolk Southern, and to ignore the ETTX and just use the numbers for the rail car #. Got "no status" for 10 days. Looks like I committed a goof today because I called Norfolk Southern to find out anything if I could. The guy was very nice and told me the rail car was turned over to Union Pacific on Dec. 26 in Kansas City. I tried the Union Pacific number you provided, but they could not provide status either. So went back to the CSX number using ETTX as the initials and found out it left Gila, AZ today. Maybe it transferred to another rail line there and that is why UP couldn't give me an update. Anyway, thanks for the detailed instructions. Looks like I might be getting my car a week from Saturday if all goes well. That will be less than 2 months from mailing in the deposit check to delivery in Cali....much less than expected.
Yes. Going to CA, it would be CSX. To WA and the PNW, probably UP.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody know how to get status of a Union Pacific rail car?

Quick Reply: Anybody know how to get status of a Union Pacific rail car?