Sponsored by:

Xpel and car washes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 PM
USe-car
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Xpel and car washes

For those who have Expel and use the automatic car wash, how does it work? Does the Expel clean up like the rest of the car? Although the ads say it doesn't fade after time,what are your opinions?

Yes, yes, I know car washes are not the best option for the paint. Thanks to all who respond.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Horsefly
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Not Exactly Addressing the question...

I don't run mine thru auto car washes, but I do have quite a bit of Expel on the C7. I use a rinseless product and hand wash/dry mine and the Expel looks as good as the day it was installed last March.

I have picked up some tar and other staining on the Expell and have found pretty good success removing it with Goo Gone and/or rubbing alcohol.

No fading or yellowing! So far it's been good stuff!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Don't use automatic car washes, but Xpel Ultimate has a clear coat top coat. So, it is just like the rest of the car.

Xpel Ultimate is warranted 10 years:

Warranty Coverage

"What does the XPEL ULTIMATE 10 year warranty cover?"

XPEL warrants XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for ten (10) years from the date of purchase. Covered defects include: yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating. This warranty does not extend coverage to damage caused by normal wear and tear, road debris impact, accidents, collisions or intentional damage of any kind.

"Does the warranty include labor to replace the film?"

Yes, for customers in the United States. Reimbursement for labor charges covered by the warranty will be made directly to the Authorized XPEL Dealer performing warranty replacement. Specific rules and restrictions apply, Authorized XPEL Dealers should ask their Account Manager for specific terms and conditions.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Auto washes can pull up on the edges. Even recommended that you don't spray into the edges and to wash from the center to outside edge when doing it by hand.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by USe-car
For those who have Expel and use the automatic car wash, how does it work? Does the Expel clean up like the rest of the car? Although the ads say it doesn't fade after time,what are your opinions?

Yes, yes, I know car washes are not the best option for the paint. Thanks to all who respond.
I don't do the auto wash thing (wash mine by hand and blow it dry with a Metro Master Blaster dryer which results in a glassy appearance every time), but I suspect if your XPEL product was installed properly you shouldn't have any problems using an auto wash.

Reference fading. I've only had the XPEL product for about 6 weeks (installed by factory trained XPEL installer), so can't address fading issue other than to say it has a 10 year warranty so if it ever does fade, you should be covered. If you installed the XPEL yourself you might want to check with the factory just to make sure self-installations carry the same warranty period.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:52 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

So I guess you guys can't even wax the car once this is on. The whole car can get waxed except xpel parts, which will look off?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

xpel will take a good sealant with no problems.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rave
I don't do the auto wash thing (wash mine by hand and blow it dry with a Metro Master Blaster dryer which results in a glassy appearance every time), but I suspect if your XPEL product was installed properly you shouldn't have any problems using an auto wash.
Which exact model of the Master Blaster? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

11B250 - XPEL Sealant/Polish works nice.

Lenn44 - I use the Metrovac Air Force Master Blaster dryer, model MB-3CD. Twin 4hp motors, heated/filtered air. Works great.

Last edited by Rave; 01-02-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 11B250
So I guess you guys can't even wax the car once this is on. The whole car can get waxed except xpel parts, which will look off?
No, not at all:

"Can I wax the film when I wax the rest of the car?"

Unlike most paint protection films on the market, XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection film can be waxed and sealed just like your paint. Though XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant is still the preferred product, Any automotive wax or sealant may be used.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:59 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I think I'm gonna look at getting some parts of my car covered in this when it arrives. Sounds like a great product. Especially if it can be sealed with Adams products!

Does adding xpel change the gloss at all? (Is İt noticeable)

I think I need to start my own thread for it tomorrow!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

I think I'm gonna look at getting some parts of my car covered in this when it arrives. Sounds like a great product. Especially if it can be sealed with Adams products!

Can you tell which panels are covered?

Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Just do it. You won't regret it.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Do a search. You'll find quite a bit of information on XPEL installations, including details of my installation. Here's a photo of my C7 after I had the entire car done in XPEL Ultimate. Get a good installer. You'll like it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:34 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Automatic Car Wash?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 AM
lggque
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 1 Post

You want to protect your car using Xpel but like using automatic car washes....

Have it your way... I've had expel installed over a year ago and it still looks like it was installed yesterday. One exception is a small bubble I noticed recently. I took back to the installer and using a magnifying glass he showed me it did what it was supposed to do. A rock hit the car and made a tiny cut in the Xpel but the paint was protected.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

A couple quick questions to all who have used Xpel. Once a tiny cut is made in the Xpel....or the Xpel starts to wear..will the cut compromise the protection? Will it start to peel back with age or with wind forces? What about when Xpel is removed? Does it damage or discolor the original paint? I keep my vettes a long time....so I do care about the long term effect...

I've never used Xpel but most everyone here seems to love it. My only concern has been with using a sealant on it (i.e. I've used Zaino for the past 17 years on my cars....would like to keep using it....it's therapeutic.. ).

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel and car washes

Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WesC5
A couple quick questions to all who have used Xpel. Once a tiny cut is made in the Xpel....or the Xpel starts to wear..will the cut compromise the protection? Will it start to peel back with age or with wind forces? What about when Xpel is removed? Does it damage or discolor the original paint? I keep my vettes a long time....so I do care about the long term effect...

I've never used Xpel but most everyone here seems to love it. My only concern has been with using a sealant on it (i.e. I've used Zaino for the past 17 years on my cars....would like to keep using it....it's therapeutic.. ).
Your sealant question was already answered above:

"Can I wax the film when I wax the rest of the car?"

Unlike most paint protection films on the market, XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection film can be waxed and sealed just like your paint. Though XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant is still the preferred product, Any automotive wax or sealant may be used.
Any cut in the film will only compromise protection to the extent that something could impact that cut precisely and make it through to the surface below. It will not peel. Xpel Ultimate can be removed, but you have to make an effort to do so.

As for the discoloration question:

"Will XPEL ULTIMATE make the paint underneath the film fade at a different rate?"

No. XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film allows UV to pass through the film and fade the paint underneath at the same rate as the exposed paint.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 AM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Your sealant question was already answered above:

Any cut in the film will only compromise protection to the extent that something could impact that cut precisely and make it through to the surface below. It will not peel. Xpel Ultimate can be removed, but you have to make an effort to do so.

As for the discoloration question:
Thanks Zymurgy... I knew what Xpel advertised....just wanted to make sure reality (those who have used Xpel) matched the company's guarantee. And thanks for no flames on the repetitive sealant question.....was just making sure.... Seems all sealants are not necessarily equal....
Old 01-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Ive had my 14 Cyber Gray Z51 m7 covered with Xpel Ultimate for a couple of months now and am happy with the material.

As said previously on this thread and others, the installer is the real key.

The only things I do not like about the Xpel treatments have to do with their templates which are used to cut the material.

For example, the mirrors do NOT get coverage on the bottom of the mirror or on the outside edge. Using their template you get bug protection and not rock protection.

The other problem with their template is with coverage on the leading edge of the front splitters.

In order to deal with the multiple radius's involved the coverage is relieved so that a significant portion of the vertical leading edge ends up uncovered. In my opinion, this is a high probability debris impact area.

The solution is to have the installer cut a piece that comes over the top of the splitter then around all the leading edge segments with the radius reliefs (overlap removal) done on the bottom of the splitter. These seams are only visible if you lie on the ground and look at the bottom of the splitters.

I would also suggest before coating your car that you get as much or the orange peal out of the clear coat as possible using either Glen's instructions or having it wet sanded by a professional and buffed out using Menzerna SF 4500 (Autogeeks.net). I went the wet sand route and the results were an amazing improvement.

Quick Reply: Xpel and car washes