Mirror tap for radar detector for '15 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Wilross3
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincol
I also found that taking the top off helped me do the installation.

Brilliant tip!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 PM
NakedDave
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 148 Posts

Here's a tip; after you unplug the connector, you can use the mirror and the trim to "hold" the mirror side plug out of the way, one less thing to push around while messing with the pins!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 PM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default mirror tap

It is not necessary to do all of that and undo the harness. I simply took off the rear mirror cover, left everything else in place and inserted the mirror tap wires into the rear of the harness pin sockets (purple and black). I had to sit backwards in the passenger seat to do it as well as having a bright light to distinguish the correct purple and black wire. I simply pushed the taps straight in to the socket very very hard, carefull not to bend them. Did it all in 10 minutes. It took me longer to set up the light and get ready than to do the mod. I also took a rat tail file and made a notch on the rear cover where the tap wire exits the cover.

Charlie
Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 PM
NakedDave
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chucky7
It is not necessary to do all of that and undo the harness. I simply took off the rear mirror cover, left everything else in place and inserted the mirror tap wires into the rear of the harness pin sockets (purple and black). I had to sit backwards in the passenger seat to do it as well as having a bright light to distinguish the correct purple and black wire. I simply pushed the taps straight in to the socket very very hard, carefull not to bend them. Did it all in 10 minutes. It took me longer to set up the light and get ready than to do the mod. I also took a rat tail file and made a notch on the rear cover where the tap wire exits the cover.

Charlie
With my sausage fingers I needed every bit of room out there! No need to notch the cover either, it'll snap back in place and be 100% flush with the cord coming out the top, YMMV.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Scottcolem
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Im doing this tomorrow, all of the parts finally arrived!!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:23 PM
tim32311
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chucky7

Charlie
2016 Z51 C7 Vert
That is the method I used. First I got in the passengers seat, turned around backwards, looked up at the mirror, took cover off, pushed the mirror tap red lead into the purple wire, pushed the black mirror tap wire into the black wire, never needed to separate the wire sockets. Then routed the wire out the cover without notching it. Worked beautifully! Took maybe 20 minutes.

Thanks all,
Tim

Last edited by tim32311; 05-19-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: 2016 Z51 C7 Vert

Quick Reply: Mirror tap for radar detector for '15 Z51