Purchasing your Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 AM
htownc7
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing your Corvette

Hi guys,

I'm a new future c7 owner, with a few questions about the whole buying process. This will be my first new car, so I don't really know what to expect during the process.

I'm planning on shopping for an auto loan prior to the car arriving, have members found that Chevy offers better financing rates compared to banks?

I've heard a lot of negative things that happen talking with the finance managers and signing papers. Did you guys encounter any of this and could you share your experiences?

How much time should I expect to spend at the dealership purchasing my car?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:51 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by htownc7
Hi guys,

I'm a new future c7 owner, with a few questions about the whole buying process. This will be my first new car, so I don't really know what to expect during the process.

I'm planning on shopping for an auto loan prior to the car arriving, have members found that Chevy offers better financing rates compared to banks?

I've heard a lot of negative things that happen talking with the finance managers and signing papers. Did you guys encounter any of this and could you share your experiences?

Thanks for the help.
First, make sure you can find a dealer that will accept supplier pricing or credit union member pricing(This alone can save you @ 9%.) Then I would check with your credit union on financing as they often undercut the banks. Also check with dealer on this.

My personal thoughts are to decline extras like extended warranty, "special glaze" applied to exterior, interior protection of seats, etc. In other words, just get the car with no extras.

I drove to KC in Aug with my trade-in and was at the dealer for @ 2hours and then on my way home.

You can do most by phone and you can search here for supplier and credit union pricing, your biggest savings. There's a member here who will gladly get you the supplier pricing so be diligent in your preparation to buy. Others will chime in too so good luck.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM
htownc7
Cruising

Thank you for your insight, i should add that I've already ordered my car, currently at 3400 and used supplier. The next few weeks are going to be the longest weeks ever!

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
First, make sure you can find a dealer that will accept supplier pricing or credit union member pricing(This alone can save you @ 9%.) Then I would check with your credit union on financing as they often undercut the banks. Also check with dealer on this.

My personal thoughts are to decline extras like extended warranty, "special glaze" applied to exterior, interior protection of seats, etc. In other words, just get the car with no extras.

I drove to KC in Aug with my trade-in and was at the dealer for @ 2hours and then on my way home.

You can do most by phone and you can search here for supplier and credit union pricing, your biggest savings. There's a member here who will gladly get you the supplier pricing so be diligent in your preparation to buy. Others will chime in too so good luck.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Thank you for your insight, i should add that I've already ordered my car, currently at 3400 and used supplier. The next few weeks are going to be the longest weeks ever!
Congratulations. Just omit the part I wrote on supplier and CU pricing and remember the rest.

You may want to fill in your profile so everyone knows where you're located. Unless you're in the witness protection program.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Talk to both your bank and the dealership to see who can get you the better interest rate. I was prepared to finance through my bank (Chase) but the dealership offered me a much better rate financing through them using Bank of America. Dealership finance departments have gotten pretty aggressive and if you push them they can come up with some pretty nice rates. Not to mention, doing it in-house makes the paperwork much quicker & smoother (at least in my experience).
Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi guys,

Credit Unions are hard to beat unless GM offers incentives to move the cars. They are not on Corvettes at this time.

Just don't buy anything. This summer, when we bought our Jeep Cherokee, I told the salesman we weren't in the market for anything extra from the dealership. The finance guy didn't even try to sell us anything but he was big enough jerk that the wife mentioned it after we left the dealership. I told her he was just pissed he wasn't going to make any extra off of us.

15 minutes tops to sign papers, not counting waiting time. Actual delivery depends on how detailed the salesman goes over the cars features with you.

On edit, this assumes you bring your own financing. If the dealer finances, there will be extra paperwork to go over with you.

Thanks for the help.
See above, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Ernest_T; 01-12-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Takes a brave soul to order a car without having the financing in place beforehand....
Old 01-12-2015, 12:14 PM
htownc7
Cruising

I had already inquired with Chase, and the loan is only good for 30 days. The corvette takes longer than that to come in.

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Takes a brave soul to order a car without having the financing in place beforehand....
Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I had already inquired with Chase, and the loan is only good for 30 days. The corvette takes longer than that to come in.
Most lending institutions will renew the approval as needed.

I had my financing in place before I ordered my C7 in November and renewed the approval every 30 days until I took delivered in February.

Nothing special 'bout it
Old 01-12-2015, 12:32 PM
htownc7
Cruising

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Most lending institutions will renew the approval as needed.

I had my financing in place before I ordered my C7 in November and renewed the approval every 30 days until I took delivered in February.

Nothing special 'bout it
Good for you
Old 01-12-2015, 01:15 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help.
Don't do like I did and forgot to bring my current car insurance !! I was 2 time zones away so I spent more time than I needed !!! I did bring small laptop so eventually I could pass the info to the dealer !!!! Wayne

Get notified of new replies

To Purchasing your Corvette

Quick Reply: Purchasing your Corvette