C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I've had the following cars in Blade and Machine silver:

1999 Camaro SS
2004 C5 Coupe
2011 Grand Sport

Each one had this and everyone I've ever seen has it. If you think it's bad now, go out on a sunny day when you're wearing polarized sunglasses. You'll be in for a groovy trip, man.

I even asked my salesman about it before I bought the 2011 since the car was indoors, it looked fine and he told me it's not ever going to be fixed. Sure enough, we got the car in the sun and it was obvious.. to us.

However, I can assure you that almost nobody else will notice. Everyone I've tried to show it to that wasn't a car freak didn't get my complaint.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:18 AM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Butch_N
Per GM customer service this is per design on the C7 Blade silver LOL
http://pcqa.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/htm..._Mottling.html

"what you are seeing is consistent throughout our vehicles and it is painted as designed. Unfortunately, I would not be able to help you any further on this as we have exhausted our resources regarding this concern.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care "

Need help on How to proceed . I requested an independent evaluation and got the above answer . More Like Customer NO care .
I am extremely unhappy!! I bought a 2015 blade silver Z51 3LT convertible
This past October and was a museum delivery.

I have gone over my entire Vette and cannot find any mottling or inconsistencies in the paint like I am supposed to have.
So what gives???
Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by HIHO
I am extremely unhappy!! I bought a 2015 blade silver Z51 3LT convertible
This past October and was a museum delivery.

I have gone over my entire Vette and cannot find any mottling or inconsistencies in the paint like I am supposed to have.
So what gives???
Many flaws are only identifiable when pointed out by someone who looks for or is bothered by them.

Rather like a videophile and 720P, 1080i and 1080P HD. Someone that looks for the difference in certain scenes can point them out while most will never notice anything. Or an audiophile comparing digital to analog or CD recordings to vinyl and pointing out the nuances in the sounds produced.

Often times even when pointed out, many people say it looks (or sounds) fine to me.

Again, it goes to what trips our trigger.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:55 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Most of the cars I've seen, mine included, are what I call '20 footers'. They all look great as long as you're not closer than 20 feet away. Once you get to looking for defects, you will find them.

GM, for sure, is not making show cars but they maybe get the process correct more often than not.

Drive it. You'll likely end up with more paint defects than it came with.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:55 PM
cobramustang1993
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Blade Silver

I have owned 2 corvettes in Silver, 2006, and 2007...They were painted Machine Silver (67U).....I was fully intending to buy another Silver for the C7.....I went to a dealer to look at the Shark Gray and Blade Silver for comparison (That Dealer did not have the Blade Silver, only Shark Gray).......On the way home not far from the dealer, I spotted a Blade Silver C7 in the sunlight, and noticed the blotchiness, mottling on some areas.......That made up my mind, no Blade Silver....The Previous Silver has more colors in the base coat formula (warm tones)...The Blade silver seems to be formulated with just silver, no other colors, and that may be why the problem of blotchiness is so prevalent.....When spraying those light silvers, it is important to spray LIGHT coats and go over the car maybe 4-5 passes in differing directions.....My opinion is that the factory production line spray technique is not modified to compensate for the differences in colors, and that the Blade Silver is just a victim of the production line, vs a custom-paint job......I will bet there will be a new Silver next year.......Hopefully back to Machine Silver........
Old 01-14-2015, 03:38 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pic looks better than it is

Why do you continue to belabor this matter with the forum? It is unlikely anyone on the forum is going to repaint your vehicle for you or to assist you in any meaningful way with negotiations with GM.

Instead, spend your time in discussions with your attorney and GM or, as an alternative, just chill and enjoy the fact that the car looks great from 20 ft away. If you were expecting a show car paint job, then a Corvette was not a good purchase choice.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:03 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
HUH!
Very few look like that get real! Thats just Poor QC! Thats awful silver normally
is fine!
We disagree. And silver is one paint color that does show mottling more than some other colors. But it's not the only one.

However, 1SG ret is correct when he says: "Many flaws are only identifiable when pointed out by someone who looks for or is bothered by them.

Rather like a videophile and 720P, 1080i and 1080P HD. Someone that looks for the difference in certain scenes can point them out while most will never notice anything. Or an audiophile comparing digital to analog or CD recordings to vinyl and pointing out the nuances in the sounds produced.

Often times even when pointed out, many people say it looks (or sounds) fine to me.

Again, it goes to what trips our trigger. "
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

will have to look at mine but dont recall this
Old 01-14-2015, 09:27 PM
R0NIN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
wait till it's been in the sun awhile , then it will start to show more.
hope you can get it fixed .
Good point... it really shows in the sun... As a matter of fact, I was just admiring the patchiness on my doors while walking to my car at the grocery store this afternoon...

Maybe people will think its some type of silver camo or something....

Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Not entirely sure what you are expecting from GM? Not by design as much as "it is what it is".

As they stated this is how their paint looks on the car. Plenty of other Blade Silver buyers find it satisfactory. However, we each have our own levels of tolerance for what is acceptable and what will drive us crazy every time we look at something. So I do understand your point of view.

I have a friend that is worried to distraction that his C7 shows oil pressure ranging from 25-32 PSI during operation is way too low. He's accustom to 50 PSI in his older cars. "It is what it is".

If you absolutely cannot live with it, you have a few options.

Take it to a body shop and have them re-shoot the paint or do some other paint shop magic to eliminate or at least mitigate the problem to your satisfaction.

Trade it for another color C7.

Sell it and buy another brand.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but in reality, complaints based on personal preferences or perceptions can never be fully resolved to everyone's satisfaction at the manufacturer's level.

Just my take. I could be wrong
Mine has a few areas with this issue but it doesn't bother me!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Butch_N
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Specracer
Mine has a few areas with this issue but it doesn't bother me!
This what GM is most prob. banking on owners that are not bothered .
I'm beating this horse here because of what GM CS replied .
I do have other options but I'm waiting for GM upper management to get back to me.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:13 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by silversmoke1957

Why do you continue to belabor this matter with the forum? It is unlikely anyone on the forum is going to repaint your vehicle for you or to assist you in any meaningful way with negotiations with GM.

Instead, spend your time in discussions with your attorney and GM or, as an alternative, just chill and enjoy the fact that the car looks great from 20 ft away. If you were expecting a show car paint job, then a Corvette was not a good purchase choice.
Get off the forum you don't belong! He has a beef and your a clown for the crap non forum non owner answer you put out! Find some where else. You add nothing here!
Old 01-16-2015, 01:15 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
We disagree. And silver is one paint color that does show mottling more than some other colors. But it's not the only one.

However, 1SG ret is correct when he says: "Many flaws are only identifiable when pointed out by someone who looks for or is bothered by them.

Again, it goes to what trips our trigger. "
Disagree all you want your wrong!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This what GM is most prob. banking on owners that are not bothered .
I'm beating this horse here because of what GM CS replied .
I do have other options but I'm waiting for GM upper management to get back to me.
I hope you can find some peace and satisfaction!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,889 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Get off the forum you don't belong! He has a beef and your a clown for the crap non forum non owner answer you put out! Find some where else. You add nothing here!
Disagree all you want your wrong!
Skip your morning coffee, tea, caffeinated beverage?

Before you castigate people on the forum lean the difference between your and you're ...
Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 AM
VetteGirlMA
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2013 Grand Sport is blade silver and when I bought the car it was sitting in the showroom and looked perfect. Once I had the car for a while I began to notice the mottling in bright sunlight. It looks like that there are places where there are more silver flakes than others. But I can't see this when the car is in the garage or if I take a picture of it. It's honestly not that bad and I still get plenty of thumbs up from people. To be honest once I began to notice I looked at other silver cars in parking lots, and it seems that it's not just corvettes.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

HUH!
Very few look like that get real! Thats just Poor QC! Thats awful silver normally
is fine!
I agree. I looked at a silver Z06 and it had a very nice paint job.

Get notified of new replies

To Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 AM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why can't we all get along?

OP has a legitimate issue... As documented in the photos he submitted, the paint on his car looks terrible! GM should provide a solution to his problem AND implement immediate process changes to prevent a recurrence, even if that means suspending the Blade Silver color option.

As members of the C7 ownership community, we should make it clear through this forum and other means that we support the OP in his quest for satisfaction. In the end, we all benefit by sticking together.

But if GM thinks we are just a bunch of fragmented individuals who don't care about each other's legitimate problems, they'll feel no pressure to respond. So what if they **** off a customer here and there... there's always more where he came from.

We have more power than we know... But that power lies in our numbers and in sticking together.

This is where membership in local Corvette clubs can make a difference. Would a letter from the club president to GM upper management expressing concern and supporting the OP make a difference? It certainly couldn't hurt and I personally think it would get their attention.

Similarly, if Forum members presented a more united front when legitimate concerns are raised, I believe GM would be more responsive. Remember, next time it might be you.

Just my thoughts...

Last edited by jrainlay; 01-16-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It looks like he has a silver one too. Maybe he doesn't like being reminded!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:33 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Here's a question for you. If GM can't remedy the issue and their only alternative would be to stop offering Silver altogether....Would you rather not be able to get silver or would you be willing to take the car knowing of the mottling issue? Even though the picture posted shows that there is mottling (at that angle and lighting it is very noticeable ), in the big picture, it really isn't an earth shattering problem. As a fan of silver vettes, I would still take the car.
I think perhaps if they offered an advisement of the issue just as when you purchase a leather couch that there will be areas of color/texture differences which is normal for this color/material, it may alleviate some of the angst. In my case, the salesman at the dealership I went to pointed it out and it wasn't even a blip on my radar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)