C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jrainlay
why can't we all get along?

OP has a legitimate issue... As documented in the photos he submitted, the paint on his car looks terrible! GM should provide a solution to his problem AND implement immediate process changes to prevent a recurrence, even if that means suspending the Blade Silver color option.

As members of the C7 ownership community, we should make it clear through this forum and other means that we support the OP in his quest for satisfaction. In the end, we all benefit by sticking together.

But if GM thinks we are just a bunch of fragmented individuals who don't care about each other's legitimate problems, they'll feel no pressure to respond. So what if they **** off a customer here and there... there's always more where he came from.

We have more power than we know... But that power lies in our numbers and in sticking together.

This is where membership in local Corvette clubs can make a difference. Would a letter from the club president to GM upper management expressing concern and supporting the OP make a difference? It certainly couldn't hurt and I personally think it would get their attention.

Similarly, if Forum members presented a more united front when legitimate concerns are raised, I believe GM would be more responsive. Remember, next time it might be you.

Just my thoughts...
Well said.

I'm one of 5 guys with BS cars that are unhappy with our paint. We became aware of each other through this and another C7 forum. We are in e-mail contact with each other and working our issues independently at this point. At this point none of us has had satisfaction. I had a supportive Dealer who agreed that the paint was bad and contacted the local GM Rep about it. The Rep advised them to find another BS car and see if my paint was any worse. They finally located one and advised me yesterday that it was the same as mine and GM didn't plan to do anything more.

While I love the car and the color combination, (BS, 3lt AR and red calipers), I would not have chosen Silver if I had known of the paint quality. I realize silver is a tough color to paint but I see plenty of Kia's and Hyundai's that do not exhibit the mottling I have in my paint.

There are apparently people with Blade Silver cars that are happy with their paint and don't see the problems we do which suggests there is great variability in the quality and that the standard of acceptability needs to be raised.

I plan to escalate my concerns via the process laid out in my warranty manual.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:21 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rramjet
There are apparently people with Blade Silver cars that are happy with their paint and don't see the problems we do which suggests there is great variability in the quality and that the standard of acceptability needs to be raised.
Or the paint mottling appearing on their cars isn't an issue to them or is something they don't see or focus on when looking at the car.

Based on GM's reply, the silver paint they apply to the Corvette exhibits the same mottling properties being described on all the blade silver cars.

Dunno. I'd be running down all the blade silver cars I could and checking the paint out to verify the assumption that the mottling is an intermittent issue.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:44 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Butch_N
Per GM customer service this is per design on the C7 Blade silver LOL
http://pcqa.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/htm..._Mottling.html

"what you are seeing is consistent throughout our vehicles and it is painted as designed. Unfortunately, I would not be able to help you any further on this as we have exhausted our resources regarding this concern.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care "

Need help on How to proceed . I requested an independent evaluation and got the above answer . More Like Customer NO care .
I don't know why GM Customer Service would send that DuPont link, it clearly takes NO responsibility for the mottling, it just tells what causes it (all application issues which falls to GM).

Jimmy
Old 01-16-2015, 03:28 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Seen one about 50.
60 ft. Away and it looked like it had a 50 dollar pair job on it .talked with the guy and he said when he waxed it it got worse .
I think you could do better with a spray paint can.
That's just plain poor coverage on the car .

Save a buck Gm...
Old 01-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you excepted the car that way, you're stuck with it. (You should not have excepted it.) Now GM will need to fix it which means a complete repaint and you will lose valve because your car has been repainted. Get the ball rolling on a warranty claim. You have to give them 3 repair attempts for the same problem or 30 calendar days out of service.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

This is a tough one. IMHO, unless you can get someone at GM to agree that the paint quality is subpar, your options are very limited. Perhaps, on your own dime, you could find some paint 'expert' that would agree with you and you could initiate a lawsuit of some sort -- again, on your own dime.

If you make enough noise -- continuously -- GM might give you a good deal on another C7, just to get you to go away. Maybe this would be the best outcome for you.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:44 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rramjet
Well said.

I'm one of 5 guys with BS cars that are unhappy with our paint. We became aware of each other through this and another C7 forum. We are in e-mail contact with each other and working our issues independently at this point. At this point none of us has had satisfaction. I had a supportive Dealer who agreed that the paint was bad and contacted the local GM Rep about it. The Rep advised them to find another BS car and see if my paint was any worse. They finally located one and advised me yesterday that it was the same as mine and GM didn't plan to do anything more.

While I love the car and the color combination, (BS, 3lt AR and red calipers), I would not have chosen Silver if I had known of the paint quality. I realize silver is a tough color to paint but I see plenty of Kia's and Hyundai's that do not exhibit the mottling I have in my paint.

I plan to escalate my concerns via the process laid out in my warranty manual.
My BS C7Z51 was fine, So I have a BS Z06 coming. Hope Mine comes
acceptable. It will spoil my day as well as their's if I turn it down.

I will turn it down if the paint is not totally not right. Leave it sit at the dealer. Sorry to hear of the problems.

Silver is not that tough and I have had MANY
silver cars.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:24 PM
wcollette
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Blade Silver+

Mine a 2014 Blade Silver was delivered in the rain at night for one. [I think they were told to do that by dealer, still researching it.] The 2nd reason I'm a disabled veteran that could not travel that far to see the car had to buy it from pictures. 3rd bowling Green has admitted they have paint problems with paint. 4th some of the Reps looked at the car in the rain others looked at other new silver cars to compare, and it was as bad as the one asking for the look at his car. 5th than the answer was Meets Factory Specs?????? I asked Bowling Green than send me the factory specs. Never got them they said case closed... not by a far shot Bowling Green... Chevrolet.. a KIA has better paint jobs than these Corvettes. Every 2014 an 2015 corvette I looked at with another Corvette Club member everyone had either orange peel, mottling or both, naturally some worst than others. I had 5 Silver Corvettes I have a 64 sitting next to it in my garage and it is three times better paint than this poor quality Corvette paint job.

Bill

Originally Posted by rob62
I can see it on mine if your looking for it. I would/ will buy another silver. Why did you accept it if it's so bad?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:49 PM
wcollette
Heel & Toe

Default Blade Silver + Mottling

1st Bowling Green has admitted there is a problem with their paint jobs. Orange Peel, dirt in paint, runs etc... for Mottling look under DuPont Mottling on a search... That what me and my friends with Blade Silver cars have.
I have had 5 Silver Corvettes this is the worst paint job of all and I will add ever in any Corvette I ever owned. I have a 64 sitting right next to it that has 3 times the better paint job no orange peel or mottling??? I was told by the rep who looked at mine in the rain it meets factory specs, I asked for the factory specs never got them. Another Blade Silver complaint and the Rep look at a new one which was as bad as the one complaining... Bingo Meets Factory Specs because they are all bad, if not Mottling than orange peel.
I'm sure you know more about paint jobs than DuPont Marrissa.... yea right and more about the paint jobs on our cars than we do?? Maybe might want to ask KIA how they paint their cars...You and Bowling Green have a problem, the factory knows it an all you and them have done is.....nothing... meets factory spec...BUT GO THREW YOUR SERVICE MANAGER and GM will investigate etc.etc. and we did that... All you Corvette owners who have problems write or go on line to the Better Businesses Bureau and file a case on Chevrolet Corvette. The group I joined we will..

Bill

"what you are seeing is consistent throughout our vehicles and it is painted as designed. Unfortunately, I would not be able to help you any further on this as we have exhausted our resources regarding this concern.

Marissa

Need help on How to proceed . I requested an independent evaluation and got the above answer . More Like Customer NO care .
Old 01-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
My BS C7Z51 was fine, So I have a BS Z06 coming. Hope Mine comes
acceptable. It will spoil my day as well as their's if I turn it down.

I will turn it down if the paint is not totally not right. Leave it sit at the dealer. Sorry to hear of the problems.

Silver is not that tough and I have had MANY
silver cars.
I have had five silver vehicles, and strangely that last one that I bought (a '14 Ram 2500) has the worst mottling of any of them. In some light, it's pretty bad but I consider the truck a tool so it doesn't really bother me much. My '03 Cobra is silver and I had a '13 GT500 that was silver. The paint on the GT500 was just fine. And, the paint on my silver '12 Ram 1500 is fine (but has lots of OP).
IMO silver may be hit or miss for any manufacturer.
S.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 PM
wcollette
Heel & Toe

Default Blade Silver

Well hate to tell you this but you don't know what Mottling is if they all had it. I have had 5 Silver Corvettes... Fiberglass cars... this is the worst paint job ever on this 2014 Blade Silver and 4 others 2015's in a group with me the same, and I know there are more. I looked at a 2014 Blade Silver 5000 miles used car for sale, early car I have the VIN number no mottling but tons of orange peel. Bowling Green has admitted orange peel, drips, dirt in the paint and not specified yet mottling. DuPont explains what Mottling is an cause... I have it if you want it but I have no idea how to send it on forum. wcollette536@comcast.net if you want it send me an e-mail.

PS I have a 64 silver Vette sitting right next to the 2014 with three times the paint job [10 yrs old paint nothing special when done] on it and it looked like the other three I had?

Bill

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
I've had the following cars in Blade and Machine silver:

1999 Camaro SS
2004 C5 Coupe
2011 Grand Sport

Each one had this and everyone I've ever seen has it. If you think it's bad now, go out on a sunny day when you're wearing polarized sunglasses. You'll be in for a groovy trip, man.

I even asked my salesman about it before I bought the 2011 since the car was indoors, it looked fine and he told me it's not ever going to be fixed. Sure enough, we got the car in the sun and it was obvious.. to us.

However, I can assure you that almost nobody else will notice. Everyone I've tried to show it to that wasn't a car freak didn't get my complaint.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

My C7 Blade Silver was actually pretty good. The sides were very slight orange peel but none on the hood top and rear hatch and end.
Thought about wet sanding or polishing. But I just applied liquid glass
Absolutely NO mottling or have I even seen it for a long time.

IF the new Z06 comes and the paint is bad I will leave it at the dealer
not accepted. After these customer service posts. Leaving no chance for them to turn down a paint defect for repair. little sorry I even bought 1.

Sounds like between paint and tranny and some electric issues it my be a crap shoot. 1lz eliminates some possible issues . I want a new truck WAS thinking Colorado GM.
Depending how you stand behind things calling bad paint normal has me upset.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

you might want to also thank obama and the E.P.A. for the new standards.
g.m. knows what i'm talking about ...cheap paint amd bad Q. control .
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM
wcollette
Heel & Toe

Default Blade Silver built in doo doo

An I agree with Butch, Bowling Green admits a problem an customer no care say its all right? How many cars has your service designed other than just losing Corvette customers. Every time I dealt with your service it was like talking to a brick. Than mysteriously my complaint gets changed in Bowling Green with Chevrolet screwing the people you should be listening to and working with.

Bill

Marissa

Old 01-23-2015, 04:15 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Painted as designed, just means they painted it in the same fashion as they do all the other C7 colors. The silver cars obviously need more attention and perhaps a silver colored primer coat before they lay-down the blade silver color on the car would fix the problem. The factory knows what they need to do, but they are not doing it because it will add cost.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:26 AM
wcollette
Heel & Toe

Default Blade Silver built in doo doo

Marissa I can see you are right on top of it where as Bowling Green already admitted a paint problem... they had an investigating team on it for some time now. But coming from you the Mottling, Orange Peel, dirt in the paint are all designed into your no Quality Control Corvette does not surprise me a bit. And I must admit you are right it is consistent in all your Corvettes because I haven't seen a 2014-2015 that I looked at with another Corvette person that does not have one of those problems, some worst than others. Get away from your desk an look. It does not take a paint expert to see it just someone not working for Chevrolet or payed by them in any way. Your talking a $70 + thousand car not a KIA with a better paint job. And I love your other answer exhausted all our resources regarding this concern... Hello... your own people are doing investigating and found some of the mentioned paint issues, I have it in print go on Stingray forums to see it.. ??? Wake up.
And last but not least.... now I have KIA sending me brochures on buying a new KIA... I'm not alone either on this....

Bill

Marissa

Old 01-23-2015, 05:10 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts
Default There IS hope!

Well, my Service Director called me yesterday. 3 days after having my 2015 BS so he and the GM regional rep. could evaluate my paint quality issues with my doors and rear hatch having bad mottling.

He said GM wanted to know if I would be willing to let them make and paint replacement parts (in Bowling Green), ship them to FL and replace them?

After expressing my concern that they thoroughly QA the parts before they ship and let me approve the paint match BEFORE swapping them out, I agreed.

I think if they are willing to try to make it better for me and find a fix at the factory along the way then it's a win/win.

At end of my conversation with the Service Director, he said he was surprised they agreed to do this at all. I told him it's because there are some of us in the Corvette community that won't accept this as "normal" or "by design" and are making some noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Old 01-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevettec7
Well, my Service Director called me yesterday. 3 days after having my 2015 BS so he and the GM regional rep. could evaluate my paint quality issues with my doors and rear hatch having bad mottling.

He said GM wanted to know if I would be willing to let them make and paint replacement parts (in Bowling Green), ship them to FL and replace them?

After expressing my concern that they thoroughly QA the parts before they ship and let me approve the paint match BEFORE swapping them out, I agreed.

I think if they are willing to try to make it better for me and find a fix at the factory along the way then it's a win/win.

At end of my conversation with the Service Director, he said he was surprised they agreed to do this at all. I told him it's because there are some of us in the Corvette community that won't accept this as "normal" or "by design" and are making some noise.
Nice...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Marissa
I'm shocked at this answer! So Marissa's answer says to me.
To not take the car on delivery if it shows this type of defect.
Her answer is full of crap. I'm pretty sure this is fairly rare problem.
It is just where the paint is too thin .

Originally Posted by rob62
I can see it on mine if your looking for it. I would/ will buy another silver. Why did you accept it if it's so bad?
Why did you accept yours? Normally silver is perfect as much as any color!
I'm not done .
GM needs to acknowledge its a problem fix it on mine and future cars produced or stop selling Silver .
I will definitely not buy another silver GM product without seeing it .
Good luck!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 PM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to the list. I was about to change one of my favorite detailing products because I thought it was creating the mottling.

Quick Reply: Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)