C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Butch_N
Pic looks better than it is
That is shameful.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:22 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have created a Facebook group to discuss and keep track of progress on this issue. If you want Join and post the name is in the picture below. Butch id like to make the page photo the one above of your car with your permission.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts
Default Help is on the way

Just wanted to pop in and say I am in the process of having GM manufacture new painted doors and hatch panels to be replaced. It's nice to hear others may be getting a reversal on the initial decisions from the regional management.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 AM
C7-Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No mottling just **** poor match

Originally Posted by stevettec7
Just wanted to pop in and say I am in the process of having GM manufacture new painted doors and hatch panels to be replaced. It's nice to hear others may be getting a reversal on the initial decisions from the regional management.
Sorry not silver but still issue with paint.
As you can see the removable panel is way off also halo and tailgate are close but there is still a variation.
I have read some of the posts on here, glad to hear you persisted and got them to do something, this is not acceptable, and for some to say if you want your paint to be perfect then you should have not bought a Corvette is ridiculous
We have seen these issues (metallic paints mottling) for years, this issue is a result of coverage the basecoat is very thin-transparent, we had a Laguna blue in the shop a few weeks back same issue roof halo tailgate didn't match, tailgate had mottling. Hope that you get an amicable resolution.
And for you guys with black as you can see your cars not black more like charcoal.
Attached Images  

Last edited by C7-Z06; 01-29-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Butch_N
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like GM is stepping up. After much persistence I'm getting a second opinion from another GM manger . Hopefully it goes better will keep you posted .😊👍
Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Butch_N
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
I have created a Facebook group to discuss and keep track of progress on this issue. If you want Join and post the name is in the picture below. Butch id like to make the page photo the one above of your car with your permission.

Sure no problem
Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I was advised by my Service Director yesterday that GM Rep will not authorize panel replacement on my BS coupe. He was apparently unable to find any evidence in GM's system where this had been done on any C7's.

The Rep had agreed to look into the panel exchange process after I mentioned that another unhappy customer had been offered that option.

His initial response to my paint complaint was to ask the Service Director to find another BS C7 and see if my car was any worse. They found one and said it was same as mine and GM wasn't going to do anything about mine.

I plan to escalate via the BBB process outlined in my warranty manual.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

this sucks, I think you're gonna have to pursue it legally if you want better answers....
Old 01-30-2015, 02:18 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rramjet
I was advised by my Service Director yesterday that GM Rep will not authorize panel replacement on my BS coupe. He was apparently unable to find any evidence in GM's system where this had been done on any C7's.

The Rep had agreed to look into the panel exchange process after I mentioned that another unhappy customer had been offered that option.

His initial response to my paint complaint was to ask the Service Director to find another BS C7 and see if my car was any worse. They found one and said it was same as mine and GM wasn't going to do anything about mine.

I can't believe it...
Old 01-30-2015, 07:07 AM
C7-Z06
Advanced

Default Your not alone Laguna Blue>>

Here is a picture of a Laguna blue we were replacing the front bumper on a few weeks back.
Original front bumper was a different shade towards the bottom, tailgate was mottled pretty bad, you can see some on front edge of the gate, as you can see the removable roof doesn't match the halo or the roof, all 3 panels are different shade, and I can bet money there are hundreds like this anything that have metallic or even black as you saw in my prior post.
Took almost 3 days for us to match to fenders and hood, but when you see this we ask which one would you like us to match ?.
Attached Images  

Last edited by C7-Z06; 01-30-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:09 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GM's response is a bunch of BS. I did some auto painting in my 20's and unless paint technology has gone backwards, mottling or any noticeable differences in any metallic is always the result of something done improperly. GM's customer service has been shown to be especially lacking in this regard unfortunately. The old adage of, "penny wise, pound foolish," comes to mind with their desire to save a buck any way possible on warranty work. Not only is it wrong, the hit their reputation will take will affect their sales. The internet will not allow these kinds of practices to go unnoticed.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:25 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

My silver '14 C7 was pretty bad. In the right light it looked like it was painted with a spray can.

But the worse ever was my old Escalade in pearl white, in MOST light it looked like GM painted it with a spray can

I fixed it the easy way, I sold the car. But I didnt sell it because of the paint..
Old 01-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for posting this.

I've been a GM fanboy for decades and a Corvette owner since 1992. I've had to consistently make excuses for the car's poor paint quality as well as Helen Keller panel engineering exaserbated by indifferent assembly. I was hoping the C7 had finally put an end to that nonsense. Obviously, that's not true.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:27 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

keep this in mind when you call that number in the back of the book for BBB your talking to a gm rep. and not the BBB. call your local BBB and report it .
Old 01-31-2015, 11:24 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by C7-Z06
Here is a picture of a Laguna blue we were replacing the front bumper on a few weeks back.
Original front bumper was a different shade towards the bottom, tailgate was mottled pretty bad, you can see some on front edge of the gate, as you can see the removable roof doesn't match the halo or the roof, all 3 panels are different shade, and I can bet money there are hundreds like this anything that have metallic or even black as you saw in my prior post.
Took almost 3 days for us to match to fenders and hood, but when you see this we ask which one would you like us to match ?.
Holy ****, that looks like 3 different Blues!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 PM
C7-Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Yes as is the black in the prior post, guys on Z06 discussion say that my camera phone doesn't take good pics try something with more resolution.
Had a shark gray come by the shop today, it has mottling on the removable roof, and the 3 panels Rr halo tailgate didn't match, going to try and get some pics if he comes by Monday
Old 01-31-2015, 07:08 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
Wow! I had a 2012 Carlisle Blue C6 with some slight color variations depending on the panel you were look at, but nothing like this! Geez Louise!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Old 01-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Satch0922
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Mottling is caused by incorrect air pressure in the gun when applied (not a product problem but rather a production problem).

GMs response is dated since DuPont has been out of the coatings business for almost two years. The new company (re-branded) is Axalta.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 PM
C7-Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Satch0922
Mottling is caused by incorrect air pressure in the gun when applied (not a product problem but rather a production problem).

GMs response is dated since DuPont has been out of the coatings business for almost two years. The new company (re-branded) is Axalta.
Incorrect air pressure, distance from workpiece, application too wet or dry,
And in this case poor coverage
Spraying paint is not always like riding a bike, sometimes you have to make adjustments to the current scenario that is playing on the given day.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:41 AM
C7-Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by sam90lx
It was, makes our job that much easier, " which of the 3 blues on your car would you like us to match mr customer ?"
Have a c7 Z Shark gray coming by next week saw it yesterday you could see the removable top had mottling and the same 3 parts looked off going to get some pics of it parked like this one, look for them.

Quick Reply: Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)