C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Butch_N
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Per GM customer service this is per design on the C7 Blade silver LOL
http://pcqa.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/htm..._Mottling.html

"what you are seeing is consistent throughout our vehicles and it is painted as designed. Unfortunately, I would not be able to help you any further on this as we have exhausted our resources regarding this concern.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care "

Need help on How to proceed . I requested an independent evaluation and got the above answer . More Like Customer NO care .

Last edited by Butch_N; 01-13-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

I can see it on mine if your looking for it. I would/ will buy another silver. Why did you accept it if it's so bad?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Butch_N
Advanced

Courtesy delivery from out of state dealer and I took delivery in the evening was not visible. I was also excited after a long wait .
I also expected better quality on a high end vehicle .
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Butch_N
Courtesy delivery from out of state dealer and I took delivery in the evening was not visible. I was also excited after a long wait .
It's not uncommon with silver. What you are seeing are areas of lighter and heavier paint application. This is more common with manual spraying not robotic arm sprayers.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 01-13-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Butch_N
Advanced

So its by design ? why would dupont say this http://pcqa.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/htm..._Mottling.html
Old 01-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Butch_N
Advanced

So its by design ? why would dupont say this http://pcqa.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/htm..._Mottling.html
If GM had a disclaimer that this is normal I would understand .(They Don't)
I own 3 other Silver vehicles non of which has this problem.
I did an online build and bought unseen.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Not entirely sure what you are expecting from GM? Not by design as much as "it is what it is".

As they stated this is how their paint looks on the car. Plenty of other Blade Silver buyers find it satisfactory. However, we each have our own levels of tolerance for what is acceptable and what will drive us crazy every time we look at something. So I do understand your point of view.

I have a friend that is worried to distraction that his C7 shows oil pressure ranging from 25-32 PSI during operation is way too low. He's accustom to 50 PSI in his older cars. "It is what it is".

If you absolutely cannot live with it, you have a few options.

Take it to a body shop and have them re-shoot the paint or do some other paint shop magic to eliminate or at least mitigate the problem to your satisfaction.

Trade it for another color C7.

Sell it and buy another brand.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but in reality, complaints based on personal preferences or perceptions can never be fully resolved to everyone's satisfaction at the manufacturer's level.

Just my take. I could be wrong
Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Try Adam's products. They've get stuff that'll make the paint look beautiful and as if it's dripping wet.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

After looking at the pics on the DuPont site, if a car I bought looked like that, I would be very unhappy too, especially for the price paid for a C7. You didn't post pics of your car, so I'm not sure just how bad your paint looks. If I were you, I wouldn't stop trying to get GM to remedy the paint situation if it is something you can't live with. Go as high in the chain as you need to and if all else fails, see if there are any legal alternatives you can pursue.

Good luck and hope you can get some satisfaction on the paint problem.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Not entirely sure what you are expecting from GM? Not by design as much as "it is what it is".

As they stated this is how their paint looks on the car. Plenty of other Blade Silver buyers find it satisfactory. However, we each have our own levels of tolerance for what is acceptable and what will drive us crazy every time we look at something. So I do understand your point of view.

I have a friend that is worried to distraction that his C7 shows oil pressure ranging from 25-32 PSI during operation is way too low. He's accustom to 50 PSI in his older cars. "It is what it is".

Take it to a body shop and have them re-shoot the paint or do some other paint shop magic to eliminate or at least mitigate the problem to your satisfaction.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but in reality, complaints based on personal preferences or perceptions can never be fully resolved to everyone's satisfaction at the manufacturer's level.

Very well said.....
Old 01-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Butch_N
Advanced

I'm not done .
GM needs to acknowledge its a problem fix it on mine and future cars produced or stop selling Silver .
I will definitely not buy another silver GM product without seeing it .

Last edited by Butch_N; 01-13-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Butch_N
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

Yeap great ideas who's paying for paint job ,hit on trade-in ?
I paid for a high end car expecting a better quality paint job and will not settle for less .I work hard for my money and when I buy a product upwards of 60K I expect quality .
Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Butch_N
Advanced

Pic looks better than it is
Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeap great ideas who's paying for paint job ,hit on trade-in ?
I paid for a high end car expecting a better quality paint job and will not settle for less .I work hard for my money and when I buy a product upwards of 60K I expect quality .

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying "it is what it is". Corvettes have never been known for perfect paint jobs. It fact there is a constituency that thinks the Corvette paint is bottom of the barrel.

In any event, it's unlikely GM could paint or re-paint your car in blade silver to your satisfaction just based on their formulation and application methods.

I'm not being glib or trying to minimize your frustration. I do understand how you feel about it (I have my hot button issues also that drive me crazy) but if paint perfection is something that is very important, then a Corvette is not the car to be looking at.

Again, If you otherwise like the car, I'd take it to a reputable body shop and talk to them, you may find that they can do something to make the paint look more presentable to you and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

GM is unlikely to be of any help at this point.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks bad to me. I'd be unhappy too! This example points up some of the potential problems with ordering/purchasing from non-local dealers. A local dealer might be more willing to help argue your case with GM. More importantly, a local delivery affords the buyer a better opportunity to inspect the car before accepting delivery.

Last edited by jrainlay; 01-13-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Once upon a time, I saw a new silver Z06 C5 at a dealer-sponsored car show, with a roof that clearly showed the cross pattern under the paint. The owner swore that despite his dealer (who he swore would never touch/paint his car), he had arranged with Chevr. to take back the car and re-paint it in BG.

Maybe it does happen, maybe it doesn't. But he said it was scheduled to go on a truck the next day after the show.

Silver's a tough paint and if we all look, we'd see lots of cars with all kinds of "mottling"--especially silver.... Good luck with it.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:02 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Problem does seem to be specific to Blade Silver. Strange...

Get notified of new replies

To Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)

Old 01-14-2015, 02:59 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

My silver one is coming courtesy delivery from out of state also.
I had 1 silver C7 already and it was pretty good nothing of what is
shown above. Nervous about it now. Better come perfect!
I'll turn back the car if it comes like that!
Surprized at the ones who "think" thats even normal or cool!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 01-14-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:06 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Once upon a time, I saw a new silver Z06 C5 at a dealer-sponsored car show, with a roof that clearly showed the cross pattern under the paint. The owner swore that despite his dealer (who he swore would never touch/paint his car), he had arranged with Chevr. to take back the car and re-paint it in BG.

Maybe it does happen, maybe it doesn't. But he said it was scheduled to go on a truck the next day after the show.

Silver's a tough paint and if we all look, we'd see lots of cars with all kinds of "mottling"--especially silver.... Good luck with it.
HUH!
Very few look like that get real! Thats just Poor QC! Thats awful silver normally
is fine!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:41 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

wait till it's been in the sun awhile , then it will start to show more.
hope you can get it fixed .

Quick Reply: Blade Silver motting-is a design on the C7 per customer service :)