Sponsored by:

Dealer screwed up my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
That would be almost impossible to prove and be laughed at in court. Sure you have data but he could say that testing was done with the wheels up on jacks, he wasn't driving, he had it on the lift revving it to check real world scenario
The data recorder wouldn't register any speed if the car was on a lift.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:21 AM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
The data recorder wouldn't register any speed if the car was on a lift.
The data recorder works off the data port on the car and not gps so I guess technically it would register speed on jack stands but it would not account for the hard braking that it also recorded. The service manager also already admitted that the mechanic drove the car.

Steve
Old 01-23-2015, 01:45 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 PM
tachi1247
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is an absolute nightmare scenario OP. Only advice I can give is to try and keep an open mind at this point. It is highly unlikely that they are going to give you a new car. every state's lemon laws are different but most give the manufacturer at least 3 attempts to fix the problem. technically they have only failed once as they were successful in repairing your initial CEL/sensor issue.

unfortunately, while it is extremely aggravating that they were abusing your car while they had it for service, it really doesn't change what the options for a resolution to the situation are from their perspective. even if they did damage something else by abusing it, they will either fix it, or you won't know/ it won't manifest until later, probably after the warranty expires given the way your luck has gone so far.

any car re-purchased under the lemon law is usually a huge money loser for the manufacturer as it either gets sent to a salvage yard or can possibly be re-sold (at a substantial discount) after full disclosure of the previous issue. either way they never want to do this unless they absolutely have to. you will be dealing directly with chevy (not the dealership) before it gets to this point.

outside of the lemon law, there is nothing that will make the manufacturer re-purchase the car therefore you'd be looking at your dealer giving you a sweetheart deal on a trade-in and new car purchase which may or may not be realistic depending on your relationship prior to all this drama.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:11 PM
stone150
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I've been there, not quite to that degree, but I'm always nervous about taking the car in.

Took my 08 Z06 in right after I bought it for a rattle. When I got it back a few switches hadn't been hooked back up, but it turns out they scratched almost every piece of hard plastic in the car, including the instrument cluster and steering wheel. Raised my concerns and the adviser said they would order the parts. when I took it back 2 weeks later when parts arived, what boggled my mind was that they were going to give it back to the guy who screwed it up, but he was being fired that day, so it would take a 1 day longer.

Hope it works out.

Last edited by stone150; 01-23-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:35 PM
ridewfo
6th Gear

Those data graphs would look great on the local TV news with a story by the local "consumer advocate" reporter.....
Old 01-23-2015, 05:55 PM
smurphyswimmer
Heel & Toe

This might help...

http://jalopnik.com/owner-says-deale...-fo-1681413987
Old 01-23-2015, 06:18 PM
swaite
Racer

I can't hurt to let more people know about the dealership
Sad thing is I gave the multiple attempts to make this right. I understand things happen but management needs to at least give me a call ( I have asked multiple times ) and try and work out a solution.

Steve

Originally Posted by smurphyswimmer
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite
The data recorder works off the data port on the car and not gps so I guess technically it would register speed on jack stands but it would not account for the hard braking that it also recorded. The service manager also already admitted that the mechanic drove the car.

Steve
Don't speedos read from the front wheels, which wouldn't be spinning?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:06 PM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Don't speedos read from the front wheels, which wouldn't be spinning?
Not sure but if you read the artical above when the reporter called and the mechanic said they need to get up to 100 mph to get the car in 7th gear .........
Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite
Last conversation with GM was still mostly me just going over the isues with yet another new person at GM. I think this is the highest level person I can speak with. Still dont have any solid answers......I also stopped by the dealership again trying to get a meeting with someone higher than the service manager as of yet no one has returned my calls which is even more dissapointing given the fact I would think someone would want to get infront of this problem.

Steve
you need to speak to ''GM Corprate customer service'',their in the rennisinse center in Detroit,,they are real helpful
Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 PM
GameY2j
8th Gear

Default Yahoo

Saw an article about this on yahoo!
Looks like you are getting a lot of publicity.
No doubt GM will step up NOW and make things right!!!!
Good Luck
Old 01-23-2015, 09:59 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

With all the negative press GM has had recently about recalls and their quality control you would think they would be bending over backwards to resolve this quickly and to the customer's satisfaction. Can't believe no one from senior management at the dealership has talked with you.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:10 PM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
With all the negative press GM has had recently about recalls and their quality control you would think they would be bending over backwards to resolve this quickly and to the customer's satisfaction. Can't believe no one from senior management at the dealership has talked with you.
Not as of yet, the gm ( or above ) of the dealership has also not been willing to call me after many attempts of me asking for a call back. I was told he was away on business in San Fransico....I also asked to speak with any of ther other principals of the auto group since RK is part of a larger dealership group that includes Burns but have yet to get a call.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:22 PM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you get this worked out. You deserve a new car for the BS you've encountered and the inconveniences.

Good luck and there will be a lot of us watching this thread.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:39 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I wouldn't buy an air freshener from RK, had real bad experience with awhile back.
Instead of Lemon Law talk to General Motors about a "substitution of collateral" for your Corvette. I went down this road with BMW North America and it all worked out for the best in the end.

Good Luck Steve
Old 01-24-2015, 12:00 AM
jackrog
1st Gear

In the Jalopnik article, the author said they called the dealer and spoke to a service tech who supposedly said "They were doing a test drive, and had to get it into 7th gear. That's why they had to get it to that speed... the customer is blowing this out of proportion, we have an engineer coming, and we'll be taking care of it.". Am I right by saying they're shooting themselves in the foot by admitting to driving 100 mph?

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer screwed up my car

Old 01-24-2015, 12:41 AM
belmor
Safety Car

Small world, I saw this here and then saw it on Facebook when your wife shared it (we went to school together) and now it has blown up. I hope you get some resolution on this issue quickly. Looks like NJ Lemon Law comes into play after they have failed to repair the same issue twice. Either way what a PITA. Keep us posted!

~B~
Old 01-24-2015, 12:41 AM
belmor
Safety Car

Small world, I saw this here and then saw it on Facebook when your wife shared it (we went to school together) and now it has blown up. I hope you get some resolution on this issue quickly. Looks like NJ Lemon Law comes into play after they have failed to repair the same issue twice. Either way what a PITA. Keep us posted!

~B~
Old 01-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Cauhauna
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

subbed, good luck OP

Quick Reply: Dealer screwed up my car