Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 PM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Dealer screwed up my car

In advance sorry for the long post.....
Update...look at post 51, also the dealer name is RK Chevy in Vineland
Update again please look at post 66 dealer decided to abuse the car and "test drive" it over 100MPH and slamming on the brakes Proof in pics on the post

I would avoid taking any corvette to this particular dealership for ANY service.

update again, after a 10' drive into my garage the car will yet again no longer shift into 1-2 gear video of the problem in post 129

update post 151....meet with GM zone rep, have come to conculsion that a lawyer needs to be involved moving forward more info in post

Updated again in post 191, RK Chevy tech still haunts my car. They left all of the bolts loose in the rear

Ok I dropped my 14 z51 off at the dealer late last month for a CEL and fuel gauge malfunction. Was told it was a bad tank sensor and they would need to pull the tank to replace. Fast forward to today I get a call saying my car is ready an to pick it up. First thing I realize after I get in the car are some tools left on my driver seat next after I return them I put the car in reverse only to find the rear cam no longer functioning. When I get out to inspect the rear camera I see white paint scuffs on my spoiler (like the took of the rear clip and propped it up against a white wall). I told them about the camera issue and scuffs, told me they could fix it all while I waited. The scuffs came off and they got the camera working again as it was a disconnected wire in about 45 min. I get in the car again to drive off and now I realize the car will not shift in and out of 1-2 gear (7speed). From a standing start starting in neutral you can get into 1st but once you start moving and shift up to 3rd it's impossible to downshift into 1st or 2nd without putting the shifter into neutral wiggling the stick and forcing it into 1st. Now I return the car to the service bay and hand them back the keys telling them the issue. Now I get the rental car back and drive away with the promise it will all be fixed.

Now comes the part which makes me real unhappy as I think I have taken the rest in stride.

I get a call 30 min later saying the mechanic is in the car and it's fine could I come back and do a ride with him to show the problem...I agree and return. I return and duplicate the issue and the mechanic starts to profess that the car is fine and that is how it is SUPPOSE to be ....WTF!
The service advisor walks over while I start to explain that this is not how the trans is suppose to behave, and agrees but the mechanic still insists that it's fine. I offer to take him for a ride to show him, we go around the block and I show him how it is impossible to downshift from third and he still proclaims its normal. When we return to the dealer I get out and he gets into the driver seat and I watch him yank on the stick trying to force it into gear still mumbling how the car is fine. The service advisor is standing next to me say yea it's not right and the mechanic is wrong..... I leave tomorrow for a trip out to Vegas for what just so happens to be for the spring mountain corvette driving school, service advisor tells me it will all be fixed by Monday when I return.

The problem is now I have a mechanic who obviously has no idea what he is doing and does not think it's an issue going to fix it???? I was told that the corvette tech would look at it as well but that means the non corvette tech disassembled the whole rear of my car already what else did they f'up.

What should I do now.
TIA

Last edited by swaite; 03-26-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Since you asked...I would bring it to another dealer. Pronto.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:19 PM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by DAC17
Not really an option now as I get on a flight tomorrow morning
Old 01-13-2015, 09:21 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite
Not really an option now as I get on a flight tomorrow morning
Then call them and tell them not to work on it, and you'll pick it up when you get back. I would get far away from them.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:22 PM
tanner m
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 PM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by tanner m
Will another dealer take it? Would gm cover the warr claim?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Then call them and tell them not to work on it, and you'll pick it up when you get back. I would get far away from them.
This. Then enjoy yourself in 'Vegas and deal with it when you get back.

It's under warranty. You can take it to any dealer you want and the warranty will cover it.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:25 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

OP, I see you are in NJ. I hope the dealer isn't Kerbeck!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd never go back to that dealer again, and report the issue to GM. Then find a high volume Corvette dealer that knows what they're doing.

Might also be a good idea to reveal the dealer so others can steer clear.

Last edited by Rave; 01-13-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:33 PM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
OP, I see you are in NJ. I hope the dealer isn't Kerbeck!
Not kerbeck....I will refrain from posting up the dealer until this is all resolved
Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sorry to say, but you've put yourself in just about an impossible predicament. First is, can you really get them to stop work? Second, can you get another service dept. to take on a "box of taken apart parts?" Third, when is all this going to happen?

Just for others, and not trying to work you over, but when you found out someone had messed up your car AND the Corvette tech had NOT been involved, that was the time to take the toy away from the kids. You already had no confidence in the service mgr. (assigned the car to the wrong tech), or the tech---wrong tech for the car, didn't know what to believe is operational Stingray. All that would have been before you got ready to get on a plane and leave town.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:39 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by swaite
Not kerbeck....I will refrain from posting up the dealer until this is all resolved
I understand, sure glad it isn't Kerbeck. Good luck getting this resolved. I would really be P****D if this was my baby!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 PM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
Sorry to say, but you've put yourself in just about an impossible predicament. First is, can you really get them to stop work? Second, can you get another service dept. to take on a "box of taken apart parts?" Third, when is all this going to happen?

Just for others, and not trying to work you over, but when you found out someone had messed up your car AND the Corvette tech had NOT been involved, that was the time to take the toy away from the kids. You already had no confidence in the service mgr. (assigned the car to the wrong tech), or the tech---wrong tech for the car, didn't know what to believe is operational Stingray. All that would have been before you got ready to get on a plane and leave town.

This all happened at 6pm this evening
Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My apologies. Sounded like a day or more apart.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Document everything. Write every detail down in the sequence things happened. Commitments, names, actions, problems, etc. You may need this.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by mksz51
Document everything. Write every detail down in the sequence things happened. Commitments, names, actions, problems, etc. You may need this.
I hope it does not come down to that type of situation.....I hope it's just a simple linkage adjustment issue

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer screwed up my car

Old 01-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Wm Rose
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Kerbeck is less than an hour from you. I'd take it there when you get back, and I bet you'll get better service, since they're a big Vette dealer. I bought my C7 there. I haven't needed service yet, but that's where I'd take it, if it needed warrantee work.

Last edited by Wm Rose; 01-13-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:26 PM
swaite
Racer

Not sure if another dealer would be willing to take another dealers can of worms at this point
Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 PM
EBSDallas
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
This. Then enjoy yourself in 'Vegas and deal with it when you get back.

It's under warranty. You can take it to any dealer you want and the warranty will cover it.
I'm not a lawyer but I think the warranty only covers defects in "materials and workmanship"; it won't cover stuff screwed up by an angry, incompetent mechanic at a different dealership. Then you potentially have the OP caught between two dealerships (and possibly GM) pointing the finger at each other.

Not a good place to be IMO.

EBS

Quick Reply: Dealer screwed up my car