Sponsored by:

California Smog equipped

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:49 PM
jiperri
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Default California Smog equipped

I have a 2014 C7 purchased in Iowa and have sold it to a party in California. Is my Iowa based car California smog equipped. In other words will it pass the California smog test. It has no aftermarket additions.
Not sure if that is the correct wording but I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks so much.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:09 PM
WCH
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jiperri
I have a 2014 C7 purchased in Iowa and have sold it to a party in California. Is my Iowa based car California smog equipped. In other words will it pass the California smog test. It has no aftermarket additions.
Not sure if that is the correct wording but I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks so much.
I am pretty sure the car you purchased does not have the YF5 option; the only way the person in CA can register your car is if there are more than 7500 miles on it. All the cars are 50 state legal; CA just has special "rules" in order to register the car. One of them being that a CA specific clause is listed on the emissions sticker. Otherwise, the 7500 mile rule applies and the vehicle must pass CA emissions testing.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes. All cars are 50 state legal. Even if it didn't have the CA emissions sticker, as long as it passes smog it doesnt matter. I bought my c6 from a guy in Michigan no problems at 4500 miles. I bought my c7 from macmulkin and even with the CA emissions tag i had to smog it. California sucks when it comes to the dmv.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 PM
WCH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rothchilds
Yes. All cars are 50 state legal. Even if it didn't have the CA emissions sticker, as long as it passes smog it doesnt matter. I bought my c6 from a guy in Michigan no problems. I bought my c7 from macmulkin and even with the CA emissions tag i had to smog it. California sucks when it comes to the dmv.
This is true if the car is new. Since it has been registered it will be sold as used and the above rules I stated prior to your post apply.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WCH
This is true if the car is new. Since it has been registered it will be sold as used and the above rules I stated prior to your post apply.
I don't see how. My c6 was used, it did not have the CA package. Pretty sure they will register it. For example if you bought a new car in another state where you lived, and then moved to CA they wouldn't deny you the ability to use your car....
Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 PM
WCH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rothchilds
I don't see how. My c6 was used, it did not have the CA package. Pretty sure they will register it. For example if you bought a new car in another state where you lived, and then moved to CA they wouldn't deny you the ability to use your car....
I was referring to the total miles on the car in order for it to be registered in CA. The car MUST have 7500+ miles if it is a USED car being SOLD to another party.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...es/howto/htvr9
Originally Posted by CA DMV
Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits:

California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle that had less than 7,500 miles on the odometer (at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition).
Anyone from importing a new direct import vehicle less than two years old.

Last edited by WCH; 01-14-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

That is referring more to cars that are not 50 state legal, as 50 state meets CA specs, as well as importing cars from other countries. Specifically, if you click into the link you provided, it speaks to 49 state cars which would be under the 7500 mile rule. I am 100% sure that you can register any 50 state legal car in California. All it requires is a smog certificate. All corvettes are 50 state cars. But we can go back and forth, OP check with the DMV, you have two opinions on the matter!

Cheers

Last edited by rothchilds; 01-14-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To California Smog equipped

Quick Reply: California Smog equipped