Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The final seat memory fix!

Old 01-21-2015, 02:56 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by c6miller
I just spent 20 minutes in my car with computer following the instructions, did not work for me. Maybe because mine is manual. When both seat settings are set to "on" and I open the door the seat moves to the driving position before I can get in. If I turn off auto memory recall at least the seat won't return to the driving position before I get in but I still have to hold the #1 button in until the seat moves to where I have it set. Has anyone else had this work with a 7sp.
Has your dealer updated the software? If it is a 2014, there was a software update for this exact issue.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:45 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Has your dealer updated the software? If it is a 2014, there was a software update for this exact issue.
Thanks, I will call and ask them
Old 01-21-2015, 03:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,604 Likes on 6,617 Posts

I just spent 20 minutes in my car with computer following the instructions, did not work for me. Maybe because mine is manual. When both seat settings are set to "on" and I open the door the seat moves to the driving position before I can get in. If I turn off auto memory recall at least the seat won't return to the driving position before I get in but I still have to hold the #1 button in until the seat moves to where I have it set. Has anyone else had this work with a 7sp.
I have been at this since early October 2013 when I got my M7 C7. It is different with the M7. You have already learned the trick to avoid the irrational "seat moving forward when the door opens." I'm convinced that was an error in the software design but all we got from GM for a year was, "it's working as designed." Until late in 2014 when they offered another approach but unfortunately did not make it like the C6 and some prior Vettes! Some folks like it so ask your dealer to add that software option if you prefer. I however have been using a workaround I like because it is the fastest way to start the car! This is my sequence. As soon as I sit down, I use my right hand to grab the seat belt and reach over and buckle it. At the same time I multitask and use a finger on my left hand to hold in my memory button. So as the seat belt is getting buckled my seat is moving forward and down and my steering wheel is lowering. Now I am ready to push the start button one time with the clutch engaged and start the car. This alternate software requires hitting the Start button twice, once to get the seat moving and then to start the car. All the while your left hand is not being used! Guess since I'm a follower of Fred Taylor, the father of engineering management, I try to do it as efficiently as possible! Plus after 1 1/2 years it becomes automatic!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-21-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryU
I have been at this since early October 2013 when I got my M7 C7. It is different with the M7. You have already learned the trick to avoid the irrational "seat moving forward when the door opens." I'm convinced that was an error in the software design but all we got from GM for a year was, "it's working as designed." Until late in 2014 when they offered another approach but unfortunately did not make it like the C6 and some prior Vettes! Some folks like it so ask your dealer to add that software option if you prefer. I however have been using a workaround I like because it is the fastest way to start the car! This is my sequence. As soon as I sit down, I use my right hand to grab the seat belt and reach over and buckle it. At the same time I multitask and use a finger on my left hand to hold in my memory button. So as the seat belt is getting buckled my seat is moving forward and down and my steering wheel is lowering. Now I am ready to push the start button one time with the clutch engaged and start the car. This alternate software requires hitting the Start button twice, once to get the seat moving and then to start the car. All the while your left hand is not being used! Guess since I'm a follower of Fred Taylor, the father of engineering management, I try to do it as efficiently as possible! Plus after 1 1/2 years it becomes automatic!
I called GM infotainment 800# and like you said, they also confirmed that while there is nothing wrong with our Corvette's, it makes no sense for the seat to move forward just as you open the door. They will research this and will get back to me but I doubt there is any fix or they would have already have one. I also called the dealer and they are researching this as well. In the meantime, I have the auto seat set to "off" for close to a year.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:45 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

I called GM infotainment 800# and like you said, they also confirmed that while there is nothing wrong with our Corvette's, it makes no sense for the seat to move forward just as you open the door. They will research this and will get back to me but I doubt there is any fix or they would have already have one. I also called the dealer and they are researching this as well. In the meantime, I have the auto seat set to "off" for close to a year.
The software update resolved this issue for my M7.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:54 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well done video. Didn't work for me. Easy exit works but I still have to hold down the "1 button" to recall my settings. Pressing it once moves a fraction. Setting auto memory recall to on moves the seat to "1" position before I can enter.

M7 manual car.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Well done video. Didn't work for me. Easy exit works but I still have to hold down the "1 button" to recall my settings. Pressing it once moves a fraction. Setting auto memory recall to on moves the seat to "1" position before I can enter.

M7 manual car.
I did some research on the forum and found the bulletin, PI1245, seat memory control module calibration TIS2WEB. I'm going over to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can get this fixed, finally. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,604 Likes on 6,617 Posts

Try my two handed approach . Bit awkward at first but gets to be 2nd nature. My wife always accuses me of not multitasking so it's one place I can say I do!!
I had that response from GM all the time! In October 2013 it was go to the dealer you don't know what your doing! That's a joke, they had no idea. Then it was we'll check and the answer was "It's working as designed."
I told my tech service and customer service folks never to say "I never heard that before or this is the first time this happened " even if it was! That is not what the customer wants to hear. If we goofed, be up front and say that!
Early on an explanation of why the seat recall is that way or sorry we screwed up would have been much better.
Got the same none answer to "Where is the GM official place to jump start the car from the engine compartment." That small size wire goig to the front fuse panel did not look to me like it was designed to carry starter current 10 feet back to the battery. No answer or ask your dealer! I think it must have been a statement error in the front of the 2014 owners manual since the is no reference in the "how to and where to jump start section." They removed all reference to jump starting from the engine compartment in the 2015 owners manual!
Minor issues with a great car!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-21-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:49 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter 6
Cannot believe it took me so long to fix it. The manual certainly didn't help. In a nutshell, turns out the culprit was the way I set the "easy exit." So easy I will let my enthusiastic daughter explain it for you! Hope this helps someone out, because it was driving me crazy not having the seat/steering wheel go to the presets I set! Enjoy!
Note: this is on a 2014. The 2015 procedure is largely the same except that you can set your presets by pressing "set" first and then either "1" "2" or the exit icon. In the 2014 you MUST press the "set" and 1, 2, or exit simultaneously or you will not get the confirmation beep!
http://youtu.be/1cPQWIHFDdE

Glen
Well, I finally got a chance to give this process a try earlier today. All I can say is THANK YOU! I had given up trying to make the auto seat function work as promised and just shut the option down. Now, after 8 months of ownership, the auto seat works perfectly and I am a very happy 2LT owner!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:43 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
Well, I finally got a chance to give this process a try earlier today. All I can say is THANK YOU! I had given up trying to make the auto seat function work as promised and just shut the option down. Now, after 8 months of ownership, the auto seat works perfectly and I am a very happy 2LT owner!
Did mine today too and also after 8 months of ownership. Now it works like it should. Bravo Ginger!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

My 7M works the same as yours.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Good Friggin Grief!!! I've read about this issue from members since the C7 was introduced. Now I understand why everyone was complaining. The Engineer(s) should be fired for coming up with such a ridiculously step intensive and confusing way to set your seat for "simple" entry and exit.

If this was the first time this "feature" was ever introduced, I could excuse their ineptness...but this is "old" technology.... Where in the "heck" did the software engineers get their degrees? Univ of Cracker Jacks?

Thank you Ginger!!

Last edited by WesC7; 01-24-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by WesC5
Good Friggin Grief!!! I've read about this issue from members since the C7 was introduced. Now I understand why everyone was complaining. The Engineer(s) should be fired for coming up with such a ridiculously step intensive and confusing way to set your seat for "simple" entry and exit.

If this was the first time this "feature" was ever introduced, I could excuse their ineptness...but this is "old" technology.... Where in the "heck" did the software engineers get their degrees? Univ of Cracker Jacks?

Thank you Ginger!!
Setting up to be used the way it is designed to work is not difficult, although more difficult than it needs to be. The problem is the way it is designed to work is terrible.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Bounty Hunter 6
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
Did mine today too and also after 8 months of ownership. Now it works like it should. Bravo Ginger!
Awesome! Glad to hear it!

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
It's the little things in life! So glad this worked for you, too. I will let her know!

Originally Posted by Woodson
Setting up to be used the way it is designed to work is not difficult, although more difficult than it needs to be. The problem is the way it is designed to work is terrible.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
The software update resolved this issue for my M7.
I took mine in today for the software update (version now says 7521 last four digits)

The behavior didn't change except now If I hit "1" with the car running i don't have to hold it. However the start button does not recall the "1" and opening the door automcarically moves seat forward when auto recall is "on"
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Bunk
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

I have been trying to get this set or so long. Thank you for the instruction. Send it to the dealers who know so little about this spectacular car
Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Sorry, but Ginger's "fix" does not work for my 2014 M7.
I turn the "Easy Exit" off.
I set the "Auto Memory Recall" off.

I then set the position as I want it, and press the "Set" and "1" buttons, getting the beep.
I then move the seat/wheel where it should be for exit,
and press the "Set" and "Exit" buttons, getting the beep.

I then turn "Easy Exit" back on,
and turn "Auto Memory Recall" to ???????
BUT.... and here's the problem....
I don't have an option to set it for "Ignition On" or "Door Open".
It only has "Off" or "On".
So I set it to "On".
Note: the Manual page 5-44 says the "Ignition On" or "Door Open"
options are ONLY for the Automatic.

When I turn the car off, and open the door, the seat and wheel
move to my "Exit" position....great.

So I get out of the car, and close the door.

I then open the door..... TADA... the seat and wheel both go to my Number 1 position.
Therefore I CANNOT get into the car.

I have to move the seat back somewhat so I can get into the car.

So I turn "Recall" off.

This way, the "Easy Exit" works fine,
AND
to make preset number 1 work, I press AND HOLD number "1"
till it finishes moving the seat and wheel into desired (preset) position.

I can live with this.
Actually, this is how I have been using it since I go the car.
But I just thought I had missed something after viewing Ginger's video.

Get notified of new replies

To The final seat memory fix!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Bunk
Pro

Professionally done video demonstration. Ginger you are impressive. Kindly make more for us.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Bunk
Pro

Ginger has another instructional video on cleaning exhaust tips. Check it out. Bunk
Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Damian M
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the same, this also happened to me, I took my 2015 C7 down to the dealer and they told me that because it is a 7 speed manual, you have to hit the preset button (either one or two) to return to the original position. I referenced the forum and they told that the automatic seat return position (once you press the start button) is only for the automatic.

Last edited by Damian M; 01-26-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The final seat memory fix!