The final seat memory fix!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:38 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME

Okay, good news & bad news.

Good news: The problem was that I was carrying FOB #2. As soon as I retrieved the other FOB out of the house, and had it in my pocket when I started the car, the seats & wheel went to the exact locations I had programmed them to. Also, all the "Comfort & Convenience" choices came up on the screen.

Bad news: What if I should lose/break FOB #1? Not all the "Comfort & Convenience" features appear when I am using FOB #2 (specifically the seat memory and exit settings). They are just not displayed on the screen where one would expect. (Try it for yourself). It acts almost like a "FOB Light", or an "almost FOB". I am afraid that if I should lose "FOB 1", I will be stuck in the crushed between the seat & steering wheel position every time I start the car...
Why not just make the settings for the second fob match the settings for the primary fob? Get into the car with the second fob and program button #2 on the door and the exit button to your preferences.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Why not just make the settings for the second fob match the settings for the primary fob? Get into the car with the second fob and program button #2 on the door and the exit button to your preferences.
That's the problem. When I am driving with FOB #2 in my pocket, the seat memory & exit choices do not appear on the center screen. They are just not there. I can't set what does not appear on the center screen to be set.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

That's the problem. When I am driving with FOB #2 in my pocket, the seat memory & exit choices do not appear on the center screen. They are just not there. I can't set what does not appear on the center screen to be set.
But can you program the seat setting buttons on the door? You may need to go to the dealer with Fob #2 to show them your issue.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
But can you program the seat setting buttons on the door? You may need to go to the dealer with Fob #2 to show them your issue.
I can try to see if the setting #2 can be set from FOB 1, and I think I will have to go see the dealer about this. Why would one FOB allow access to all the settings and the other not? This is pretty strange...
Old 03-02-2015, 05:51 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

I can try to see if the setting #2 can be set from FOB 1, and I think I will have to go see the dealer about this. Why would one FOB allow access to all the settings and the other not? This is pretty strange...
They may just do a factory reset and start over. You can do that yourself in the settings. Then go through the programming steps for each fob.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Both my FOB 1 and FOB 2 let you see all the vehicle settings.

I know as I had the issue of not being able to get memory 1 reprogramed where I wanted it. Come to find out some how my wife switched fobs with me. Strange as she has only driven the car 3 times.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

One of the things I have done, and had done on my last 2 cars that had FOBs like ours and push button starts.......was once it was positively identified which FOB was which, on mine, I put a ring in it with one of my dog tags. now if for any reason, I can distinguish between my FOB and my wife's at a glance.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Both my FOB 1 and FOB 2 let you see all the vehicle settings.

I know as I had the issue of not being able to get memory 1 reprogramed where I wanted it. Come to find out some how my wife switched fobs with me. Strange as she has only driven the car 3 times.
From looking at 2 threads on this subject sounds like your FOB numbered 1 is really FOB 2!! Swap the keys! You are one of the 50% that has a 1 and 2 in your removable keys. There is only a 50% chance for those that do having them match the real FOB numbers and seat memory buttons! If you had my two 1’s you would not have this issue and like you need to find out which is which by trial and error!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Well done Ginger. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
From looking at 2 threads on this subject sounds like your FOB numbered 1 is really FOB 2!! Swap the keys! You are one of the 50% that has a 1 and 2 in your removable keys. There is only a 50% chance for those that do having them match the real FOB numbers and seat memory buttons! If you had my two 1’s you would not have this issue and like you need to find out which is which by trial and error!
No, my FOB with the numbered Key 1 is FOB 1. The one with the Key 2 is FOB two.

I did not know until this issue reprograming memory 1 for a new driving position that my FOBs had numbered Keys in them. So I must have got lucking the first time a year ago I programed setting 1 with the correct FOB and Key 1. Then My guess is when my wife picked the car up for me late last fall she swapped FOBS. I did not look for a number until after I could not reprogram position 1.

After many attempts at reprogramming memory 1, I finally as suggested on the other tread tried my wife's FOB, and low and behold the new program took for Memory 1. I then looked for numbers.

Have since marked FOB 1 so I will always know it even if the keys with the numbers get swapped.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I did not know until this issue reprograming memory 1 for a new driving position that my FOBs had numbered Keys in them. So I must have got lucking the first time a year ago I programed setting 1 with the correct FOB and Key 1. Then My guess is when my wife picked the car up for me late last fall she swapped FOBS. I did not look for a number until after I could not reprogram position 1.

After many attempts at reprogramming memory 1, I finally as suggested on the other tread tried my wife's FOB, and low and behold the new program took for Memory 1. I then looked for numbers.

Have since marked FOB 1 so I will always know it even if the keys with the numbers get swapped.
I bought this because my key came out in my pocket! A poster said theirs was lost! Unlike my C6 whre it was very hard to release, my C7 key comes out too easy!
Comes in many colors and holds the key on with the silicone cover.

FOB Cover Holds Removable Key In Place
Old 03-17-2015, 12:08 AM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter 6
Cannot believe it took me so long to fix it. The manual certainly didn't help. In a nutshell, turns out the culprit was the way I set the "easy exit." So easy I will let my enthusiastic daughter explain it for you! Hope this helps someone out, because it was driving me crazy not having the seat/steering wheel go to the presets I set! Enjoy!
Note: this is on an automatic 2014. The 2015 procedure is largely the same except that you can set your presets by pressing "set" first and then either "1" "2" or the exit icon. In the 2014 you MUST press the "set" and 1, 2, or exit simultaneously or you will not get the confirmation beep!

UPDATE #1: If you have an M7, there is a software fix (See the complete information in post #66) that the dealer can apply for you that ads the option for the seats to go to the presets upon pressing the start button rather than when you open the door. Finally!!

UPDATE #2: To figure out which FOB is for which pre-program follow the instructions in the video and set up both #1 and #2 (and the exit of course). You want to make #2's setting distinctly different from #1 in order to test this. Then bring only ONE of the FOBs to the car and press the unlock button on the FOB. Get in the car and press the start button. The car will move to one of the presets. Then press the start button again (to turn the accessories off; you don't actually have to start the car to do this), exit the vehicle and lock it. Grab the other FOB and use it to unlock the car and then get in and press start. It should go to the other preset setting. Now it is just a matter of marking the FOBs with a little colored dot or buying covers for them from an online store in order to tell them apart! Hope that solves the mystery for those trying to set both presets.
http://youtu.be/1cPQWIHFDdE

Glen
as the Good Book say: ...out of the mouths of babes...
Ginger, I just hope you gained your sharp mind before the American school system had a chance to dull it. Doers do and teachers teach... Amen !

Last edited by C7Kevin; 03-17-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:25 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Never had an issue? I still don't understand the problem LOL

why does your infotainment have a weather button? I don't have that... Isn't that with all cars? my volt has it (and movies) yet it has no navigation
Old 03-17-2015, 12:13 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Originally Posted by 11B250
Never had an issue? I still don't understand the problem LOL why does your infotainment have a weather button? I don't have that... Isn't that with all cars? my volt has it (and movies) yet it has no navigation
mine also does not have the weather button. I assumed it only came with Navigation.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Bounty Hunter 6
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B250
Never had an issue? I still don't understand the problem LOL

why does your infotainment have a weather button? I don't have that... Isn't that with all cars? my volt has it (and movies) yet it has no navigation
Wow, sorry for the late response! Haven't looked at this in a while. Yes, comes with Nav and Sirius. Once Sirius expires it no longer works and I just haven't taken it off!

Good time to BUMP, anyway because I keep seeing seat memory thread popping up.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I did not know until this issue reprograming memory 1 for a new driving position that my FOBs had numbered Keys in them. So I must have got lucking the first time a year ago I programed setting 1 with the correct FOB and Key 1. Th.
For what it's worth, on another Thread there was the discussion of the key FOB's being numbered or not. In a PM, I asked a Chevy Customer Service Rep who posts on the forum to check and see if what a poster speculated last year was correct, i.e. they are probably numbers in a two mold die! They wrote back and said their sources said yes, whatever the numbers are they have to do with the key manufacture and have no meaning for the car!
Your odds were 25% that you had the correct key number in the removable key (would have been a bad place to put a number anyway since they can be swapped.) Here are the probabilities: 25% chance you'd have two 1's (like me,) 25% you'd have two 2's and 50% chance you'd have a 1 and a 2. However of that 50% only half or 25% would have the correct one on a random basis since if you did not look at the numbers before programming when it was first programmed as FOB 1!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-07-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:11 PM
pakmanpony
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Ginger, you are my hero!

Get notified of new replies

To The final seat memory fix!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:44 PM
bobterryfic
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter 6
Cannot believe it took me so long to fix it. The manual certainly didn't help. In a nutshell, turns out the culprit was the way I set the "easy exit." So easy I will let my enthusiastic daughter explain it for you! Hope this helps someone out, because it was driving me crazy not having the seat/steering wheel go to the presets I set! Enjoy!
Note: this is on an automatic 2014. The 2015 procedure is largely the same except that you can set your presets by pressing "set" first and then either "1" "2" or the exit icon. In the 2014 you MUST press the "set" and 1, 2, or exit simultaneously or you will not get the confirmation beep!

UPDATE #1: If you have an M7, there is a software fix (See the complete information in post #66) that the dealer can apply for you that ads the option for the seats to go to the presets upon pressing the start button rather than when you open the door. Finally!!

UPDATE #2: To figure out which FOB is for which pre-program follow the instructions in the video and set up both #1 and #2 (and the exit of course). You want to make #2's setting distinctly different from #1 in order to test this. Then bring only ONE of the FOBs to the car and press the unlock button on the FOB. Get in the car and press the start button. The car will move to one of the presets. Then press the start button again (to turn the accessories off; you don't actually have to start the car to do this), exit the vehicle and lock it. Grab the other FOB and use it to unlock the car and then get in and press start. It should go to the other preset setting. Now it is just a matter of marking the FOBs with a little colored dot or buying covers for them from an online store in order to tell them apart! Hope that solves the mystery for those trying to set both presets.
http://youtu.be/1cPQWIHFDdE

Glen
Thanks to this posting, I was able to get the update installed. What I fail to understand is why General Motors did not advise owners of the software update and why the dealership service department was not informed. My dealership service department has installed other software updates that I did not know were available, but for some reason this update was off the radar screen. The service manager seemed reluctant when I brought in the notice that I printed from this thread.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

When this thread was first posted I set my seats up per Ginger's video but still had issues with the feature working intermittently. I found the ultimate answer in another thread that finally solved the issue once and for all. My car is an M7 and I have my memory feature set to activate to preset number 1 on ignition and the easy exit upon opening the driver door. Here is the key: these memory settings will only work if I have the E-brake set. So now I always activate the E-brake before engine shut down. That causes the easy exit setting to activate as soon as I open the door and then, when I return to the car the next time, the preset number 1 setting activates on engine start. I put the car in gear and release the E-brake and off I go. Works correctly 100% of the time if I follow this sequence.

BJ
Old 10-11-2015, 01:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OVERULD
When this thread was first posted I set my seats up per Ginger's video but still had issues with the feature working intermittently. I found the ultimate answer in another thread that finally solved the issue once and for all. My car is an M7 and I have my memory feature set to activate to preset number 1 on ignition and the easy exit upon opening the driver door. Here is the key: these memory settings will only work if I have the E-brake set. So now I always activate the E-brake before engine shut down. That causes the easy exit setting to activate as soon as I open the door and then, when I return to the car the next time, the preset number 1 setting activates on engine start. I put the car in gear and release the E-brake and off I go. Works correctly 100% of the time if I follow this sequence.

BJ
Funny, of all the issues I have had with my M7 seat memory since I got the car in 2013 (all to do with having to hold the memory button in for recall until I can comfortably press the clutch and start the car) setting the brake wasn't one! In addition to being defined in what I consider a poorly worded Owner's Manual I always leave the car parked in neutral, have done that with all my DD's which have all been sticks. I know that is not the "preferred" method but it goes back to my '50 Ford etc and if someone hit your bumper and moved the car even slightly when parallel parked they could damage the trans!

Quick Reply: The final seat memory fix!