C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Stage 1 Splitter - Painting it Carbon Flash!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:54 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Just food for thought, You never know… You may want to take this splitter off in certain situations. I travel a couple times a year for long trips and literally don't know where I'm actually staying or going, and the road conditions, so for my long trips it comes off. Unless your situation is locked in for the rest of the time you own a car , I would say don't use the tape because you may move to a new house,A new place to work etc. etc. Since the skirts don't have that situation, I screwed and taped them on because they're not coming off.
It's not like if you use the metal rivets you can NEVER take it off, but you would have to drill them out and it would be much more difficult. IF there is any way to get to the back side of the body panel, I would still use metal screws with a nut.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
It's not like if you use the metal rivets you can NEVER take it off, but you would have to drill them out and it would be much more difficult. IF there is any way to get to the back side of the body panel, I would still use metal screws with a nut.
My lashway is on with just the 9 7mm screw bolts as they installed it. So mine comes off easily. Others may be diff.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 PM
ATXRAY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took everyone's advice and took it down to Corvette World in Austin and they installed it for me for $60. Drilled holes (no tape). Not bad since I don't have a lift or jack. Here it is, plasti dipped, glossified (not sure if that's even a real word) and installed

Last edited by ATXRAY; 01-20-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 PM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

Looks real good!

-M
Old 01-20-2015, 10:07 PM
vankenn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
nice job - the splitter needs paint, in it's stock form, it looks cheap, the flash matches everything... - sorry my opin...

A few tips..

1.skip the 1500 sand and go straight to 3000 - you may have to sand a bit more to get surface uniform matte, but will gloss better..remember to get gloss you will need at least 100 strokes to bring it up. Keep going!
2.unitl you fully xpel, look for the 3/8 in door edge guard from xpel on amazon - tape on the leading edge after waiting 25 days and alcohol wipe first. I have 6000 miles on my painted splitter with not a single ding or mark.
3. next tine do 3 coats of clear - more coats than that makes it more brittle....
4. as long as you don't hit anything, you can touch up with the base coat and 205 anytime....get some artist paint brushes, spay some base in a cup and touch up - then repolish after 2 weeks (not right away)

Glen,

Sorry, I'm a newbie at this but I'm looking to do this as well, not only to the same splitter as this (which I may never get thanks to backorder), but also thought of doing it myself to the license plate mount (since here in the "wonderful" state of VA they require a front tag). I've never really painted anything before so I have many questions. But for now...what exactly do you mean 100 strokes (or 300-500)? Also, do you have a quick link to your thread on doing this?

Big thanks though to you and the OP for all the information you guys supply! Major help to DIYers such as myself!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh...nevermind that last question...I found it! (your thread that is)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:19 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

id love to have a pm of where the splitters are in stock looks great btw
Old 01-23-2015, 12:05 PM
managerman
Pro

Making progress..Was able to get the splitter wet sanded and polished...turned out very nice...all that is left is to install this weekend! I sure learned a lot in this process, my next painting projects will be even better... I feel pretty good that it turned out pretty good!

Here is the 3000 Grit sandpaper I used for the wet sand. I wet sanded until the gloss from the clear coat was gone.

Then I started polishing with the Meguiar's 105 cutting polish!

To finish up I then I polished with Meguiar's 205 polish and then a Blackfire Polish and seal, and finally Blackfire Crystal Seal.

Almost ready to be installed!!

Color match almost perfect with all other Carbon Flash trim on the car! Yay!!

-M
Old 01-23-2015, 12:19 PM
ATXRAY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really good...I will probably end up replicating what you did as soon as the plasti dip I put on there starts deteriorating...Was one can of each of the paints enough? Did you have any dripping or imperfections from spray painting with cans?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ATXRAY
Looks really good...I will probably end up replicating what you did as soon as the plasti dip I put on there starts deteriorating...Was one can of each of the paints enough? Did you have any dripping or imperfections from spray painting with cans?
as I have said many times, search youtube for people using spray paints. The valve on the automotivetouch up cans is better than average, keep it moving and learn to spray in spritzes - not lock the can valve open. That's when you run. Practice on something first - Lowes electrical outlet switch plates are great to practice on...several LIGHT coats, not a thick heavy one...people try to coat the piece all at once instead of light coats that eventually coats it...

this splitter will require:
2 light primer coats - and the first should be a VERY light coat..almost like you did not put one on, (adhesion promotor)
2 base color colts
2-3 clear coats

the secret is in the polish.....not the paint...

Last edited by Glen e; 01-23-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:59 PM
managerman
Pro

Originally Posted by ATXRAY
Yes..One can of Carbon Flash, Adhesion Promoter, Primer, and Clear coat were enough..used at most 3/4 of can of the Carbon flash and Clear coat.

No issues with dripping or running. As Glen said, "keep it moving and learn to spray in spritzes - not lock the can valve open" that's the key. I also bought the spray handle for the cans, but did not use it this time.

-M
Old 01-23-2015, 04:18 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

My splitter came off back order and will be here on Monday. I'll be doing the same...good work; looks great !

Marvin
Old 01-23-2015, 08:42 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

Managerman, thanks for a great write up. I sent you a PM before I saw this thread. Disregard my PM, everything was answered in this thread. Looking forward to seeing the end result on your car.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Butch_N
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my body shop paint mine it was $30 cost difference from DIY for the paints not considering my time and possible mess up LOL (Rudys auto body Orlando )

Rockers will be on in few weeks

Last edited by Butch_N; 01-23-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:10 AM
managerman
Pro

And here is the final result:

I don't have my jack yet so I used this contraption to drill the holes for the scrivets. Worked great. Easily got under the car.

Simple install.

Turned out pretty good! The combo of Z06 grille and stage 1 splitter really makes the front end look great

I sure learned a lot doing this project. Hopefully it helped others who want to do the same thing!

Next up: side skirt install next week!!

-M
Old 01-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow...looks great...hoping to do the same once I get mine off of Back Order...

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Stage 1 Splitter - Painting it Carbon Flash!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Butch_N
I had my body shop paint mine it was $30 cost difference from DIY for the paints not considering my time and possible mess up LOL (Rudys auto body Orlando )

Rockers will be on in few weeks
About how much did it cost you all in? I will probably go the body shop route myself and then drop it off at the Xpel installer once done.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Dooce
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time try laying down the final coat of clear quite wet. Just short of getting runs or sags. You'll have very little if any colorsanding to do.

I've painted many cars/bikes in my garage and that's been my experience. Autobody painter old saying: "If you don't get any runs you're not even trying." Or something like that.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 AM
managerman
Pro

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
About how much did it cost you all in? I will probably go the body shop route myself and then drop it off at the Xpel installer once done.
All the paint and sanding supplies were about $60.00...I already had the polish.

-M

Quick Reply: Z06 Stage 1 Splitter - Painting it Carbon Flash!