"Courtesy Delivery" Cost and Your Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:56 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19
Default "Courtesy Delivery" Cost and Your Experience

My local dealer is out of allocations and I've been corresponding about an order with one of the large volume Corvette dealers out of my region.

They offer an option of arranging a "courtesy delivery" to my local dealer.

The local would do the doc and PDI and so-on.

I'm curious of those here who have done this sort of delivery, how much did your local dealer charge for the service? I've requested a quote from my local and would like to have some basis to evaluate their response.

Also, did you find the experience with your local worked out well? I'm a bit concerned that they will undervalue my business if they are fulfilling another dealer's order.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:06 PM
rgkeller
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MACE_Hardware
My local dealer is out of allocations and I've been corresponding about an order with one of the large volume Corvette dealers out of my region.

They offer an option of arranging a "courtesy delivery" to my local dealer.

The local would do the doc and PDI and so-on.

I'm curious of those here who have done this sort of delivery, how much did your local dealer charge for the service? I've requested a quote from my local and would like to have some basis to evaluate their response.

Also, did you find the experience with your local worked out well? I'm a bit concerned that they will undervalue my business if they are fulfilling another dealer's order.
$350. Filled it with gas and washed it. No instruction at all.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:29 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

$500. My local dealers wouldn't do it. Had to go 40 miles away.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:32 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I paid $150.00 They did the PDI, washed the car, and filled it with gas.
The saleman assigned to the delivery started to show me how to set up Onstar. I told him I already had an Onstar account for my CTS and the Forum Dealer I purchased from had added my C7 already. I told him I had read the manual and I was all set.

They tell me Courtesy Delivery is normally between $300 and $500 so I guess I got a bargan.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

$500. Told them not to wash and they didn't put any gas in it. I was a little pissed about the gas but didn't wanna make a scene. Plus the tech stayed over a little to finish my PDI so I could take it that day. It's the best option if your buying from a distance you don't wanna drive to and from. As long as the end dealer agrees, don't worry about how they feel about it. If they're out of allocations, that's not your fault. They still make money off the deal. And it's ridiculous to think they will treat you any different as a customer. Pay no more than $500 if you do it though. Also, I'd suggest letting the dealer you buy from call the receiving dealer and set the whole thing up. It works better that way imo. My salesman handled it all for me. I just gave him a list of 5 dealers to call in my area.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

When I got my '08 C6 I lived in Portland, Or. I paid $250. I told them not to wash it. They handed me the keys and that's it. No gas, when gas was close to $4/gal, no instructions and I had to push them to even do the DMV paperwork but they did it. They tried to appear pleasant but were clearly not happy. They were closed by GM in the bankruptcy. And the Forum dealer reimbursed me for the 1st tank of gas which was nice.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:40 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a "heads-up"..... Make sure you aren't charged at both locations for the vehicle prep. I asked my dealer last week if they couldn't get an allocation soon, if they would allow me to drop-ship from another dealer.

They said maybe.... Seems some dealers (where you get the allocation) charge you for the dealer prep and then refuse to pass along the $$$'s to where you car is being shipped. In other words, you have to pay the charge again.....

Just get everything in writing.....
Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

The top thing to remember is most will not be rolling out the red carpet for you. But how else can you get a car delivered for $250 to $500?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Originally Posted by WesC5
Just a "heads-up"..... Make sure you aren't charged at both locations for the vehicle prep. I asked my dealer last week if they couldn't get an allocation soon, if they would allow me to drop-ship from another dealer.

They said maybe.... Seems some dealers (where you get the allocation) charge you for the dealer prep and then refuse to pass along the $$$'s to where you car is being shipped. In other words, you have to pay the charge again.....

Just get everything in writing.....

This is the reason I said let the two dealers set everything up between each other. They will have proof of the transactions.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It really seems to depend on the dealer.

Unfortunately, it seems that most dealers will refuse to handle a drop-ship delivery or reluctantly agree and then over-charge and treat you like a second-class citizen.

A minority do understand that treating you well will earn them your referrals and future business and they will gladly and smartly handle the transaction for a reasonable fee.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Said this before in these kinds of threads, the day you first see the courtesy delivered vette, you own it, no matter what it looks like nor what you may not like about it.

It's a gamble...
Old 01-25-2015, 11:09 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Said this before in these kinds of threads, the day you first see the courtesy delivered vette, you own it, no matter what it looks like nor what you may not like about it.

It's a gamble...
A pretty safe gamble though. How many C7's arrived in a condition that the owner would refuse delivery for? Definitely not a large percentage. I'm glad I did it.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
A pretty safe gamble though. How many C7's arrived in a condition that the owner would refuse delivery for? Definitely not a large percentage. I'm glad I did it.
just one of the facts about courtesy delivery that tends to go unnoticed.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 PM
cobramustang1993
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Courtesy Delivery-So. California Area

My MO selling dealer (Reliable Chevrolet) has a relationship with Tom Bell Chevrolet in Riverside, CA. I also, did not want any washing or removal of stickers, etc on the car....The Dealership did a full mechanical PDI, checked all the fluid levels, and installed whatever items had to be installed on car prior to pickup, no gas....300.00 was the charge....A lot cheaper than driving the car out to Calif from Missouri......None of the CA dealers were offering the discounts that the out-of-state dealers do, so my recommendation is to get quotes from the large and small dealers who don't play games, and give you a price upfront.........
Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

$495 including PDI, wash, gas, license and registration, OnStar setup and an hour and a half of in the seat instruction (info center, music, navigation, driving modes, etc.).
Old 01-25-2015, 05:48 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidplate
$495 including PDI, wash, gas, license and registration, OnStar setup and an hour and a half of in the seat instruction (info center, music, navigation, driving modes, etc.).
what dealer did you get your courtesy delivery from?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LucaBrasi916
what dealer did you get your courtesy delivery from?
Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA.

Actually, if I remember correctly, I paid an additional $80 for CA registration.

Get notified of new replies

To "Courtesy Delivery" Cost and Your Experience

Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidplate
Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA.
i was hoping that was going to be your answer...thanks!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Bmbl-Bee
Burning Brakes

Received 355 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguy2u

It's a gamble...
My selling dealer told me the car being shipped to a dealer via courtesy delivery is no different than a car being shipped directly to an ordering dealer. The car is still G.M.'s responsibility until I accept the condition of the car at the courtesy dealer. I was told I can refuse the car at this point if there is damage. It's not a delivered car from one dealer to another. It's an ordered car from the factory being shipped to a Chevrolet dealership.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Stein
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

My dealer completed the PDI, washed it and kept in their showroom from Dec 2013 until March 2014 when I brought the car home and no charge. They had no allocations for any at that time, so it worked out for both of us great. They just had allowcation for a 2015 ZO6 they entered this past Saturday without the ZO7 package because of constraints.

Quick Reply: "Courtesy Delivery" Cost and Your Experience