Sponsored by:

Can't find my car on OnStar Remote Link

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Bunk
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Can't find my car on OnStar Remote Link

I travel alot so I always check whether my sweet Stingray is still where it should be, in my parking space. The Onstar Remote Link sometimes works, sometimes cannot connect!?? I called Onstar, they say there is some upgrading of their network going on. Well, a basic absolutely required function is to see where your car is by GPS. Help me make some noise on this with Onstar, call them and let them know we need to know where our sweet ride is. I would appreciate your help.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:37 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunk
I travel alot so I always check whether my sweet Stingray is still where it should be, in my parking space. The Onstar Remote Link sometimes works, sometimes cannot connect!?? I called Onstar, they say there is some upgrading of their network going on. Well, a basic absolutely required function is to see where your car is by GPS. Help me make some noise on this with Onstar, call them and let them know we need to know where our sweet ride is. I would appreciate your help.
I heard that after 4 days or so of not starting the car, certain OnStar features become disabled (I assume to conserve battery). I noticed this being the case when my car was waiting at a transport company for about a week. Once my car was started to load on the truck, I could then track it again. This could be part of the problem - or OnStar may just suck.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

I use it all the time on my wife's traverse. Sometimes you need to restart you phone to connect.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Bunk
Pro

Originally Posted by alienranch
I heard that after 4 days or so of not starting the car, certain OnStar features become disabled (I assume to conserve battery). I noticed this being the case when my car was waiting at a transport company for about a week. Once my car was started to load on the truck, I could then track it again. This could be part of the problem - or OnStar may just suck.
Thank you for the heads up. I will have someone start the Vette so I can keep an eye on her.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:49 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Dana M
I use it all the time on my wife's traverse. Sometimes you need to restart you phone to connect.
Don't you trust her?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:02 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

This is pretty normal. I had the same issue on the CTS-V that I have with my C7. Sometimes it just won't connect. Seems to be when you don't use the car for a while. The app is not even close to cutting edge.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I have the same problem, mine has been in hibernation since early November. I used it to monitor the tire pressure and the App stopped working within the first week after the last drive. I cannot wait for Spring to arrive!
What is interesting about OnStar is that I called to suspend coverage during hibernation and was told that it cannot be done during the trial period. I had to wait for the six month trial to complete, order future coverage, and then suspend coverage until April.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:42 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

You don't have to start the car to "wake up" OnStar. Just sit in the car and push the start button without pressing the brake pedal...
Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Bunk
Pro

Default Useful on Onstar

Originally Posted by RonC7
You don't have to start the car to "wake up" OnStar. Just sit in the car and push the start button without pressing the brake pedal...
Thank you for that. Very useful. I will get someone to go in push the button every week for me.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

Originally Posted by owc6
Don't you trust her?
I trust her, I just like to know when she is coming home from work.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dana M
I trust her, I just like to know when she is coming home from work.
Oh, so you're saying she shouldn't trust you?

JK, all in good fun.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thank you for that. Very useful. I will get someone to go in push the button every week for me.
A couple steps past OCD are you?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:55 PM
Bunk
Pro

Default Missing her

Originally Posted by Steve_R
A couple steps past OCD are you?
No Man, I'm just missing her. And I'm away so much I just want to make sure no one drove her or stole her.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Lacoven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the remote app to start your car :P
Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 AM
The Creeper
Race Director

Originally Posted by owc6
Oh, so you're saying she shouldn't trust you?

JK, all in good fun.
So I know when to start cooking her breakfast.

She works nights.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Bunk
Pro

With the new remoteLink Onstar app I cannot get any contact with my Vette. I've called Onstar, they are not solving the problem. I had someone start her every few days to make sure Onstar in on, still cannot see her. I am fed up with Onstar
Old 02-04-2015, 04:01 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

You don't need to start the car to wake up OnStar. Just hit LOCK on the fob every few days. I'll assume you have an OnStar account and that the vette is listed by VIN Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your smartphone app?

Get notified of new replies

To Can't find my car on OnStar Remote Link

Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Bunk
Pro

Originally Posted by RonC7
You don't need to start the car to wake up OnStar. Just hit LOCK on the fob every few days. I'll assume you have an OnStar account and that the vette is listed by VIN Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your smartphone app?
I reinstalled and also logged into the website by PC. Both cannot connect with my Corvette. I'm out of the country for a while, hope I can connect again when I'm back and driving her around. If I cannot get a solution from Onstar I'm finished with them.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:11 AM
Bunk
Pro

Default Onstar Vehicle location does not cut it!

I reinstalled and also logged into the website by PC. Both cannot connect with my Corvette. I'm out of the country for a while, hope I can connect again when I'm back and driving her around. If I cannot get a solution from Onstar I'm finished with them.
My Vette must be started by more than a minute, perhaps more than 5 minutes to get the contact with Onstar to log in the location. My daughters claimed they started her for me but I am not sure. Onstar provides little help and the new app is Lousy.

My friend Steve started her up and let her run for 20+ minutes, then I could track her again on the location service.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:33 AM
owc6
Team Owner

My Vette must be started by more than a minute, perhaps more than 5 minutes to get the contact with Onstar to log in the location. My daughters claimed they started her for me but I am not sure. Onstar provides little help and the new app is Lousy.

My friend Steve started her up and let her run for 20+ minutes, then I could track her again on the location service.

Anytime I use my app, It always tells me this is for the LAST START cycle, so it makes sense.

It sounds like it only knows what Onstar knows, which is to say it won't ping the car, just reads what what was happening at shut-down.

Have you tried remote starting it, and letting it shut down? (time-out at ~ten minutes) . I don't know if this will let OnStar get new data or not.

Wouldn't it be easier to have your daughters take pictures and assure you that both your baby and YOUR DAUGHTERS are where you expect them to be?

Quick Reply: Can't find my car on OnStar Remote Link