C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, you Fatmat installers weren't exaggerating!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:26 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I never removed carpet and I get the same results....look at the original post by Romja or me.

Here is my original post:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ening-mod.html

You can click on the dropbox link to see the pics. In the last pic I used the last 2 full sheets under the back carpet. I used a radius cut where the battery and the storage is on the opposing side. This way, I can access that area easily. Simple and effective mod!!

Best
Old 01-26-2015, 06:40 PM
sl33p3r15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

So, is everyone just covering behind the seats and the rear deck area, or is anyone pulling the seats and covering the whole floor?

Trying to figure out if it is worth pulling the seats and doing the whole thing.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sl33p3r15
So, is everyone just covering behind the seats and the rear deck area, or is anyone pulling the seats and covering the whole floor?

Trying to figure out if it is worth pulling the seats and doing the whole thing.
How much do you like projects? the biggest problem is the majority of sound comes through the bulkhead. Obviously it comes through the whole car, too. But the bulkhead has virtually no insulation on it underneath the carpet except a little bit of foam and the huge rear wheels are 3 feet to 5 feet from your ears, so covering the bulkhead is where the majority difference is going to happen. Now if you like projects, up to you if you want to do more.

I didn't want to make this a huge production, when I first wrote it here. I was on a road trip I had 1200 miles to go and I noticed that my run flats were loud. So I did a peel and stick on the bulkhead, and just laid the rest of it underneath my cargo mat. Took 45 min with no tools, except sissors.To my surprise it solved the problem and I haven't done anything else. Nor do I plan to. Too many here are starting to overthink this.....its a great mod with NO downsides, and a great starter mod if youre new to doing projects on your car, right up there with splashguards, IMO

Last edited by Glen e; 01-26-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 PM
sl33p3r15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, I am trying to not over think it. I had a recent road trip where the road noise from the tires was unbearable. So based on that the bulk head behind the seats is a must. I am not trying to make the car silent, I am just trying to get the most bang for the buck (buck equaling both time & money here ).

I am trying to decide if it is worth pulling up the seats, but I am not sure just how much noise is coming from there, versus the rear area. If doing the rear will eliminate 80% of the noise, then I would probably stop there. If the rear only eliminates 40-50% of the noise, then I might as well do it all at once.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Then obviously do the back, see how that works , and then the front if you need to. Impossible to tell because were all different . hearing is a little bit like the color , you choose as it's all personal as to the level of quiet we want. Based on the difference it made for me , I think you'll find the back coverage is good enough.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 PM
golfnutintib
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving my new Z06 I definitely feel the booming noise from the runflat tires is coming from BEHIND my head. Trunk and rear wheel wells IMHO...

How much do you like projects? the biggest problem is the majority of sound comes through the bulkhead. Obviously it comes through the whole car, too. But the bulkhead has virtually no insulation on it underneath the carpet except a little bit of foam and the huge rear wheels are 3 feet to 5 feet from your ears, so covering the bulkhead is where the majority difference is going to happen. Now if you like projects, up to you if you want to do more.

I didn't want to make this a huge production, when I first wrote it here. I was on a road trip I had 1200 miles to go and I noticed that my run flats were loud. So I did a peel and stick on the bulkhead, and just laid the rest of it underneath my cargo mat. Took 45 min with no tools, except sissors.To my surprise it solved the problem and I haven't done anything else. Nor do I plan to. Too many here are starting to overthink this.....its a great mod with NO downsides, and a great starter mod if youre new to doing projects on your car, right up there with splashguards, IMO
Old 01-26-2015, 08:12 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

It's a lunar lander disguised as a Pontiac Trans Am.. hahahahaha!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Driving my new Z06 I definitely feel the booming noise from the runflat tires is coming from BEHIND my head. Trunk and rear wheel wells IMHO...

And the bulkhead, which is BEHIND, your head.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry that this is little off topic..and that this is possibly a stupid question. While I'm installing the Fatmat, I'm thinking about running a power wire (not connected) in case I add a radar detector or something later. I figure I might as well while I have everything taken apart for this and would just keep the extra looped up behind the seats. Can anyone suggest a generic power wire to run or are they usually very specific for each type of detector? I've read through many of the extensive radar detector install post but haven't seen anything on this in particular.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Algiers
Sorry that this is little off topic..and that this is possibly a stupid question. While I'm installing the Fatmat, I'm thinking about running a power wire (not connected) in case I add a radar detector or something later. I figure I might as well while I have everything taken apart for this and would just keep the extra looped up behind the seats. Can anyone suggest a generic power wire to run or are they usually very specific for each type of detector? I've read through many of the extensive radar detector install post but haven't seen anything on this in particular.
Much better off by posting new on this as it hijavks the thread and many wont see it. Power cord is generic with the right connector. Id use 14 ga wire or so. Shielded will be easier to run.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Much better off by posting new on this as it hijavks the thread and many wont see it. Power cord is generic with the right connector. Id use 14 ga wire or so. Shielded will be easier to run.
I hear you on that and I definitely don't want to hijack the thread. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:36 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbert
When a product starts selling really well,(probably due to this thread
in Fatmats case) the Amazon computers automatically start jacking the
price upward. Have noticed this more than once. Hence price going
from around $60 to $100.
I noticed the same thing on some other products. Leaves a bit of a bad taste in my view. (Yeah yea, I know. "Just business" yada yada) It damages my view of Amazon as a "go to vender".
Old 01-27-2015, 01:25 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

just orderd a set of 25sq ft for $63 shipped off amazone
Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey gang, this "sounds" good but I'm a little concerned reading this old thread from the audio forum:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-products.html

I don't want my car to smell like asphalt--any of you installers have any issues with this?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgeezer
Hey gang, this "sounds" good but I'm a little concerned reading this old thread from the audio forum:

I don't want my car to smell like asphalt--any of you installers have any issues with this?
Yeah I saw that and was wondering as well. I might buck up and get the more expensive stuff just in case. One guy claims it still smells months later.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 AM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Rgeezer

I did mine this last weekend and I don't smell it at all......and I got a pretty sensitive nose.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 AM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Then obviously do the back, see how that works , and then the front if you need to. Impossible to tell because were all different . hearing is a little bit like the color , you choose as it's all personal as to the level of quiet we want. Based on the difference it made for me , I think you'll find the back coverage is good enough.
I did the back a few days before I did behind the seats.....IMHO the back was an improvement, but behind the seats gave me the biggest benefit.

Get notified of new replies

To OK, you Fatmat installers weren't exaggerating!!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Knobbie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that list. Might save me a lot of wasted time!

not sure why anyone would think that several posters that don't know each other would get sucked in by a placebo.....

I only post things that work...if I posted what I've done that did not work, the forum would be flooded with threads....LOL
Old 01-27-2015, 10:35 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Still think the best idea is do the center of the panel only (which is where the vibration occurs) with fatmat or dyamat to minimize the amount used and do the rest of the panel or panels with Frost King which is a closed cell foam product designed to absorb sound. Much cheaper , has no smell , will not dry out like the ashphalt products and absorbs sound (just not as much vibration as the heavier mat products). You could get away with a very small amount of the butyl or asphalt product and do most of the back panel and/or trunk area for a very cheap price using Frost King which is much lighter. Don't be fooled by the name , Frost King is designed to reduce noise by absorbing sound in its foam and aluminum structure. Dynamat and FatMat are designed to absorb vibration which reduces sound as well. You need to do both in a car , absorb vibration which creates sound waves and absorb transient sound. These two products would work nicely together and you could save some money.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Kin...V516/100028603

Last edited by C7DriverOnt; 01-27-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added Frost King link
Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BradSW
I did mine this last weekend and I don't smell it at all......and I got a pretty sensitive nose.
agreed....amazing that some will believe an old audio thread vs several people here that have done it on their car and report no smell.....

Quick Reply: OK, you Fatmat installers weren't exaggerating!!!!