Sponsored by:

Z51 Package Now Seems Like a Good Deal

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:43 AM
quadeddie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
I ordered my C6 with Z51 and have enjoyed it as my daily driver for 9 years, but I decided to order my C7 without it. Reasons I identified:

1. Cost of Z51;
2. I don't track the car and don't need the extra tenths on the street;
3. Ride harsh without MSRC;
4. Therefore, even more money for MSRC;
5. Dry sump system takes more oil (more expensive oil changes) and may be confusing to the guy changing my oil;
6. I find the lower gearing in my C6 Z51 too low for everyday street driving, and am hoping I like the street gearing in the C7 better;
7. Harsher riding tires (and potentially more expensive?);
8. No A/S runflats available in that size either; and
9. I plan to keep it for 8-10 years and don't give a hoot about resale value.

There may be a few more that I am forgetting at the moment, but it was an easy decision for me.
Living in an area that has bad roads during certain times of the year convinced me not to get the z51. Same reasons mentioned above with the addition of:

- soft tires (flip up more stuff)
- Didn't like the wheels, will probably get nice aftermarkets
- Will primarily tour the car, needed a comfy ride

I'm an example of a buyer that would bypass your used Z51 listing and look for a base 3lt.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I can't believe some people say they can't tell a difference in the setting in the MSRC. From track mode to touring mode it's like night and day.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I can't believe some people say they can't tell a difference in the setting in the MSRC. From track mode to touring mode it's like night and day.
you're gonna have to show me. because when I test drove a ZL1 in WPB, i could not feel it lol... crazy

edit: actually u know what, maybe it's best you don't show me. LOL
Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 11B250
you're gonna have to show me. because when I test drove a ZL1 in WPB, i could not feel it lol... crazy

edit: actually u know what, maybe it's best you don't show me. LOL
Any time, also I found out the exhaust get's lots louder in track mode , I only found sports mode the day you saw the car.

So whats the ETA on yours?
Old 01-28-2015, 04:57 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Any time, also I found out the exhaust get's lots louder in track mode , I only found sports mode the day you saw the car.

So whats the ETA on yours?
Does it really? I thought it was the same for sport and track

TPW is 2/16... I estimate the car will arrive to my dealer in Greenacres end of Feb. As of right now, they're about a week ahead of schedule. If everything goes as planned, I will have it in a month. The wait is real tough .
Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

I see no diff in track and sport npp wise, but everyone hears things differently.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:25 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, I think most of those comments come from people who don't really have MRSC but somehow think they do. Just like some who don't have it swear they can feel a difference between modes......

To be blunt, if you honestly have it and can't tell the difference then the performance of a C7 in any flavor is wasted on you. I'm not saying you don't deserve to own one, just that you should not waste your money on any performance components, just buy the base car and enjoy it.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:03 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Glen e
I see no diff in track and sport npp wise, but everyone hears things differently.
Wow, it's clearly different on my car.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:05 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Does it really? I thought it was the same for sport and track

TPW is 2/16... I estimate the car will arrive to my dealer in Greenacres end of Feb. As of right now, they're about a week ahead of schedule. If everything goes as planned, I will have it in a month. The wait is real tough .
Well open invite, if you ever need a fix and want to go out west and make some noise with it let me know. Clearly Track is louder then sport. Did you get NPP?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Well open invite, if you ever need a fix and want to go out west and make some noise with it let me know. Clearly Track is louder then sport. Did you get NPP?
sound good to me! I did get NPP. Pretty much identical to yours except color, nav and Z51
Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

sound good to me! I did get NPP. Pretty much identical to yours except color, nav and Z51
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

N
I test drove a ZL1 and for the life of me, couldn't feel a difference in both modes. perhaps I needed more time on it, but we got on the highway and some regular bumpy city roads. I have seen a video of a C5 though during testing, and it made a HUGE difference....

Corvette C5 Magnetic Ride -- GM Promotional Video - YouTube
n

There are good reasons to get mag shocks however don’t be misled by this video!
Here is the reason I got my Z51 without them! I had a 40th Anniversary Vette and although not the same faster system as in the C7, on the relatively smooth roads we have there was little difference for normal driving within the settings! Look at that video it is a C5 and on a washboard road. Probably taken on one with a frequency that exaggerated the movement! If you have lots of potholes or have to travel on washboard roads then get it!
If you’re tracking the car than the transient response when set at Track Mode is worth it as well. As far as the ride, GM lists the softest as the base car, next Z51 with mag shocks set in Tour mode, then the Z51 without mag shocks, then Z51, mag shocks set at Sport and finally a Z51, mag shocks set at a teeth rattling Track Mode. Logical since shcoks can not make up for the stiffer springs and added rear roll bar in the Z51. I am very happy with the ride in my C7 Z51 as I was with my C6 Z51 without mag shocks. Our roads are flat and relatively smooth. When I got over railroad tracks I slow down! I also don’t have the small sensors with spindly arms on each wheel that feed signals back to the extra computer etc. I ride in Sport mode most of the time since I like the throttle, steering, NPP settings and my transient response is the same in all modes. I like that since never sure when I need to avoid a deer of other critter in the road!
Only you can decide what fits what you want to do!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-29-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Jakeman11
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This is my 4th Vette. Had a 40th year Vette with(torch red, not the official edition) with the adjustable shocks, had a 2004 with them and a 2008 Z06. Got the '14 Z51 with the mag shocks and NPP upgrade. Very glad I did. Some people don't realize that on the '14 both these are extras on top of the Z51. At a Vette show I was at in the Fall, the judge thought all Z51s had these as standard. I had to show the window sticker for him to believe me.
I do feel quite a difference in the ride between the modes, esp. on the hills and mountains up North. I usually go to tour and even Eco when riding at a steady speed on the interstate. But the tour and Eco are pretty soft. 80% of time is in S mode. Track mode is stiffer, I rarely use it. The exhaust is always loud in track v S where the full system comes on and off. So I think perception is track is louder whereas, NPP is really always operational.
Z 51 gives u a lot for the money, tires, vented breaks, wheels, scoop, suspension, dry sump which is what u get on 150k Porsche turbos, air cooling. But, I will not track it, because it is a convertible, may do a few quarters, but that's it. Just nice to have.

Quick Reply: Z51 Package Now Seems Like a Good Deal