C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a C7 Corvette for the first time today........

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
Start a CF petition for 86V! With about 377,000+ members, if each one donates $0.15 (fifteen cents!) then he can buy at least a new 1LT Stingray! Or even with some desirable options at supplier pricing!
Hey guys, I'm serious. I would donate more like $25.00 and if others joined in, sooner or later we could have this guy in a new C7! I think it would be a pretty cool effort. I spent 21 years as a Marine Corps Military Policeman and Criminal Investigator, and I had to deal with all the same issues as any civilian cop, so I know how tough the job is. Can't do this for everyone, but to do it for one deserving guy would be pretty cool. Like I said, I'm in...
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
Hey guys, I'm serious. I would donate more like $25.00 and if others joined in, sooner or later we could have this guy in a new C7! I think it would be a pretty cool effort. I spent 21 years as a Marine Corps Military Policeman and Criminal Investigator, and I had to deal with all the same issues as any civilian cop, so I know how tough the job is. Can't do this for everyone, but to do it for one deserving guy would be pretty cool. Like I said, I'm in...
I'm in
Old 01-27-2015, 06:00 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Game on! This'll make some newsworthy news! Get a mod to sticky and someone start an escrow... we have enough attorneys/CPAs alike in this forum.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Dunga
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in too. those guys are exceedingly under appreciated.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:02 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Isn't there some web page that receives and manages donations for various causes? I remember reading about it...
Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Da Hawk
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Isn't there some web page that receives and manages donations for various causes? I remember reading about it...
Yup, GoFundMe(dot)com. I know I can't post a link as it might violate forum rules. I was thinking about this earlier when I read the thread but didn't have time to post.

LEO's get a bad rap because of a few bad apples. I have had a handful of friends and family throughout the years that have been in law enforcement in one agency or another from local to federal.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Okay, I am checking out the Go Fund Me website and am studying the details. I would really appreciate it if one of our lawyers and/or accountants chimed in and offered to help us do this the right way and keep everyone in the right lane. I am game to manage this but some advice would be appreciated...
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 86V
I'm a C4 owner. I bought my 86' new back when I lived at home and was free of bills. Now adays I make monthly payments on a family Volvo , but still have my Old C4 bought and paid for.

The C7 is the first new model Corvette that really has me losing my breath when I see it. C5's and C6's never did it for me. The C7 is just incredible.

Anyhow I'm working (I'm a police Officer here in Florida) and we got a call about an older woman in distress. 81 yrs old, having trouble remembering where she lives....people were concerned.

We get on scene and meet with her. she is definitely confused and probably having the onset of dementia. We call her family and they come and get her.

All the while I was admiring this killer charcoal grey 2014 C7 Corvette parked in the handicap parking spot. The family tells us she knows she is losing her memory fast. So she went out and bought her dream car to enjoy while she could.

That's when I found out the Vette was hers. Obviously she wasn't in the condition to drive , her daughter asked if I would drive the car 3 miles to her home and then she would drive me back to my patrol car. I was like........HELL YEAH.

I got to admit I was too embarrassed to ask how to start it. I figured it out after about 30 seconds.

Best 5 minute ride I've had in a long while. That thing was just Killer. I might never look at my C4 the same ever again. The only thing I kept saying was.....at least mine is paid off.

Very sad story I know......But that car made her happy for a while and it certainly made my night!! If I had the Money I just might sell my beloved C4. I have some unreal memories in that car of the Jersey shore in the 80's. but I'd love to make some new ones in that baby!

You all drive them in the best of health ! I'm driving back to the C4 forum where I belong.
No doubt the C7 put several smiles on the ol' gal's face. Good for her!

You may want to stay in touch with that family. That C7 might come up for sale. Just a C4 sale and C7 payment book away!

Saluting you for serving!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:46 PM
bbjwho
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story, bittersweet but I'm happy to hear any example of someone getting their dream car and enjoying it while they can.

FYI, to the OP, keep that C4, and ... there is a Corvette raffle right now at the National Corvette Musuem - only $10 for a chance at a Torch Red 2015 Coupe, A8. http://www.corvettemuseum.org/raffle/ It looks like they have raffles fairly frequently.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

OP, great job and thanks for what you do. We just lost a member of the RCMP here in my community by some scumbag that stole a car and had a concealed firearm when they tried to apprehend. Very sad day for our community.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great story and thank you for your service.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:38 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

What!? I had to take ton of OT and details leaving my family home to afford my C7 and this guy gets it with donations!? LOL

oh well, life isn't fair all the time. I'll chip in for a fellow brother too
Old 01-28-2015, 02:54 AM
86V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
Start a CF petition for 86V! With about 377,000+ members, if each one donates $0.15 (fifteen cents!) then he can buy at least a new 1LT Stingray! Or even with some desirable options at supplier pricing!

Hey.......come up with half and I'll find a way to swing the rest. I'll take it bare bones but would prefer a convertible this time around! One thing that sticks out in my mind when I think about it is how the Fenders looked when I drove it. They really had that Corvette look. Almost like the Mark V when I watched speed racer as a kid. What a treat that was. Glad Barbara (that was her name) got to enjoy it for a while also. Remember how lucky ya'all are tonight. That was her dream. She wanted it to be her last memory. You get to relive it everyday. Please take the time to enjoy it. Best~
Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Okay, I am checking out the Go Fund Me website and am studying the details. I would really appreciate it if one of our lawyers and/or accountants chimed in and offered to help us do this the right way and keep everyone in the right lane. I am game to manage this but some advice would be appreciated...
any updates bud?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

All,

This is what I know so far. I can set up an account with Go Fund Me to set up the donation path and get the ball rolling. I suggest we come up with a time limit (maybe a year?) to come up with at least 50% of the cash (86V believes he can come up with the rest). If we do not come up with enough money to help close the deal, then the cash in the kitty would by default go to a worthy charity (like maybe the Corvette Museum?). Any thoughts or ideas? I am open to any suggestions.

Keith
Old 01-28-2015, 01:41 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Originally Posted by alienranch
Nice of the family to do that for the elderly lady, but it might not have been the wisest or safest choice. Definitely not a good car for the "little old lady" who can barely see over the wheel. Analysis below.

Downside:
- Sitting very low to the ground so you don't have a commanding view of the road (limited viewing distance means you need to have better reaction times)
- Difficult to get in/out of (bad backs don't work with this car)
- Long hood makes it hard to judge where the front of the car is (especially if your short)
- Excessive power on tap (good for us, bad for people who have dementia)

Upside:
- Brings back your youth and possibly cures all of the above

He said she bought it herself. Go, Grandma!

Sad she can no longer drive it safely.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

All,

This is what I know so far. I can set up an account with Go Fund Me to set up the donation path and get the ball rolling. I suggest we come up with a time limit (maybe a year?) to come up with at least 50% of the cash (86V believes he can come up with the rest). If we do not come up with enough money to help close the deal, then the cash in the kitty would by default go to a worthy charity (like maybe the Corvette Museum?). Any thoughts or ideas? I am open to any suggestions.

Keith
Guys, I am still waiting for some input. I am willing to manage this, but I sure would like some other's involvement...

Get notified of new replies

To Drove a C7 Corvette for the first time today........

Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM
86V
Instructor

All,

Keith
Wait.........you guys were serious?

This happens I give my beloved 86 19,000 original miles to the corvette museum or charity of choice.BTW....I bet I put 19,000 miles on the C7 in the first year!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 PM
86V
Instructor

Originally Posted by oyealiz
He said she bought it herself. Go, Grandma!

Sad she can no longer drive it safely.
I agree and thought the same thing. But she did it all herself. She wanted it. I couldn't figure out how to shut the stereo off on the short ride, so I was stuck listening to Barbara Streisand.

Awesome car though.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 86V
Wait.........you guys were serious?

This happens I give my beloved 86 19,000 original miles to the corvette museum or charity of choice.BTW....I bet I put 19,000 miles on the C7 in the first year!
Yup, I'm serious. I just need some other folks on the forum to jump in and help start it up. I am just one old retired Marine (and current federal civil servant) way out here in rural South Carolina...

Quick Reply: Drove a C7 Corvette for the first time today........