C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a C7 Corvette for the first time today........

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:22 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
Guys, I am still waiting for some input. I am willing to manage this, but I sure would like some other's involvement...
I'm down, but someone is going to have to advertise this. It's not gonna get far without spreading the word.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Bunk
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

I just bought a C7, waited 48 years for her. She takes my breath away every time I see her. The drive is heaven to me. Powerful, scary fast and sexy. God I love this Corvette.

Originally Posted by 86V
I'm a C4 owner. I bought my 86' new back when I lived at home and was free of bills. Now adays I make monthly payments on a family Volvo , but still have my Old C4 bought and paid for.

The C7 is the first new model Corvette that really has me losing my breath when I see it. C5's and C6's never did it for me. The C7 is just incredible.

Anyhow I'm working (I'm a police Officer here in Florida) and we got a call about an older woman in distress. 81 yrs old, having trouble remembering where she lives....people were concerned.

We get on scene and meet with her. she is definitely confused and probably having the onset of dementia. We call her family and they come and get her.

All the while I was admiring this killer charcoal grey 2014 C7 Corvette parked in the handicap parking spot. The family tells us she knows she is losing her memory fast. So she went out and bought her dream car to enjoy while she could.

That's when I found out the Vette was hers. Obviously she wasn't in the condition to drive , her daughter asked if I would drive the car 3 miles to her home and then she would drive me back to my patrol car. I was like........HELL YEAH.

I got to admit I was too embarrassed to ask how to start it. I figured it out after about 30 seconds.

Best 5 minute ride I've had in a long while. That thing was just Killer. I might never look at my C4 the same ever again. The only thing I kept saying was.....at least mine is paid off.

Very sad story I know......But that car made her happy for a while and it certainly made my night!! If I had the Money I just might sell my beloved C4. I have some unreal memories in that car of the Jersey shore in the 80's. but I'd love to make some new ones in that baby!

You all drive them in the best of health ! I'm driving back to the C4 forum where I belong.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Dunga
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, I am still waiting for some input. I am willing to manage this, but I sure would like some other's involvement...
Would it be reasonable for us to seek a forum dealer. They'd get the publicity and we can get a decent deal on a c7 vert.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunga
Would it be reasonable for us to seek a forum dealer. They'd get the publicity and we can get a decent deal on a c7 vert.
I was thinking the same thing. I believe the OP is in Florida. Isn't "Stingray Chevrolet" a sponsor?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:23 PM
86V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing. I believe the OP is in Florida. Isn't "Stingray Chevrolet" a sponsor?
I'm on the Treasure Coast of Florida. My God what a cool bunch of people we have here! However......As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a new vette in place of the Old C4 I'm not sure I'm worthy or could ever accept such generosity. I see so many people out there struggling and would kill for my old vette. But you guys have changed me today for just thinking about it. Thank you. I'm on a dinner break as we speak and I promise to get back out there and pass on the good karma on all your behalfs.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:35 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 86V
I'm on the Treasure Coast of Florida. My God what a cool bunch of people we have here! However......As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a new vette in place of the Old C4 I'm not sure I'm worthy or could ever accept such generosity. I see so many people out there struggling and would kill for my old vette. But you guys have changed me today for just thinking about it. Thank you. I'm on a dinner break as we speak and I promise to get back out there and pass on the good karma on all your behalfs.
I think that this is one you just roll with. It is not about worthy, or any other adjective. It is about the person. You seem to fill the bill in that regard. I don't believe that we, those of us you may donate, would be concerned about your being worthy or you accepting this a generosity. Think of it as a thank you. This is one of those things that falls under the "keep it simple stupid". It is a nice way that the average Joe can pay back to those who help us daily, without seeking reward.
R
Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Okay guys. Here is the "deal". If one of you can get a moderator to drop me a line and make this a "sticky", I'll PM the OP and get the necessary personal data, then coordinate with the donation website. If this grows, I am sure ONE of the forum sponsors will do an "at cost" deal for the very good publicity that would come as a result (and because they would be doing the "right thing"). I propose a one year effort. If we can't get close enough with the donations after one year, then all the proceeds will go to either the Corvette Museum or a national law enforcement endowment or society of some kind. I'll stand by to see if one of the moderators will contact me (since I don't know how to contact them). Any assistance in this regard would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Da Hawk
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll stand by to see if one of the moderators will contact me (since I don't know how to contact them). Any assistance in this regard would be appreciated.
Send a PM to Steven Bell and/or Zymurgy, both of which are moderators.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:58 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Da Hawk
Send a PM to Steven Bell and/or Zymurgy, both of which are moderators.
Okay, I have sent a PM to Steven Bell. Let's see what happens...
Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Dunga
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 86V
Relax mate. It's all good. Let's see how it plays out. And besides, this is not about one person for me. watching the news the last few months I couldn't help but cringe about all the bad rep you guys have been getting. You don't hear about the thousands of lives being saved everyday but God forbid one man screws the pooch and its a flipping media frenzy. I work in a hospital and am forced sometimes to put up with some ....let's be civil and call them "interesting" clientele. You have to do it every hour of everyday. God knows I don't have the nuts to walk up to a strangers car in the middle of the night knowing that I might end up getting shot in the friggin face. Now if we all imagined living in a society without law enforcement....

So sit back. Enjoy the ride (pun intended) and see how it plays. We might gather $200 bucks and give it to charity. Or hopefully something better. There's only one way to find out.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:25 AM
86V
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dunga
Relax mate. It's all good. Let's see how it plays out. And besides, this is not about one person for me. watching the news the last few months I couldn't help but cringe about all the bad rep you guys have been getting. You don't hear about the thousands of lives being saved everyday but God forbid one man screws the pooch and its a flipping media frenzy. I work in a hospital and am forced sometimes to put up with some ....let's be civil and call them "interesting" clientele. You have to do it every hour of everyday. God knows I don't have the nuts to walk up to a strangers car in the middle of the night knowing that I might end up getting shot in the friggin face. Now if we all imagined living in a society without law enforcement....

So sit back. Enjoy the ride (pun intended) and see how it plays. We might gather $200 bucks and give it to charity. Or hopefully something better. There's only one way to find out.
I just got home from work and showed this thread to my wife. Both of us don't know what to say. If it just ends up being a really nice thought and gesture that's really enough. If it helps charity even better. I wont even think about anymore then that for now. Can I mention a charity? Alzheimer's and dementia is what started this whole thing for Ms Barbara. This would be a great way to honor her and her 2014 Stingray. Just a thought.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:26 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

All,

I have been in communication with one of the moderators who ran this through the Corvette forum management. Long story short, we cannot use the forum to collect money for anything other than a recognized charity (they are fearful of scammers and I can understand that). So, in short, our idea is unfortunately a "no go" as we would need the full support of the forum. I think I will do as the OP suggests and make a donation in leu of. In my case, I will look for a fallen LE association of some kind.

I am truly sorry to be the bearer of this bad news, but am so motivated by the fact that quite a few of us were ready to stand up and be part of something special. Very, very cool...
Old 01-29-2015, 05:43 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

The part I don't get is owning a C4 how could you not be impressed with a C5 or C6
Old 01-29-2015, 11:40 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by 86V
I'm a C4 owner. I bought my 86' new back when I lived at home and was free of bills. Now adays I make monthly payments on a family Volvo , but still have my Old C4 bought and paid for.

The C7 is the first new model Corvette that really has me losing my breath when I see it. C5's and C6's never did it for me. The C7 is just incredible.

Anyhow I'm working (I'm a police Officer here in Florida) and we got a call about an older woman in distress. 81 yrs old, having trouble remembering where she lives....people were concerned.

We get on scene and meet with her. she is definitely confused and probably having the onset of dementia. We call her family and they come and get her.

All the while I was admiring this killer charcoal grey 2014 C7 Corvette parked in the handicap parking spot. The family tells us she knows she is losing her memory fast. So she went out and bought her dream car to enjoy while she could.

That's when I found out the Vette was hers. Obviously she wasn't in the condition to drive , her daughter asked if I would drive the car 3 miles to her home and then she would drive me back to my patrol car. I was like........HELL YEAH.

I got to admit I was too embarrassed to ask how to start it. I figured it out after about 30 seconds.

Best 5 minute ride I've had in a long while. That thing was just Killer. I might never look at my C4 the same ever again. The only thing I kept saying was.....at least mine is paid off.

Very sad story I know......But that car made her happy for a while and it certainly made my night!! If I had the Money I just might sell my beloved C4. I have some unreal memories in that car of the Jersey shore in the 80's. but I'd love to make some new ones in that baby!

You all drive them in the best of health ! I'm driving back to the C4 forum where I belong.
You might want to for curiousity sake just sit down with A pen and paper
And see if there is some way that you would be able to purchase it.
The C7 is my 1st Vette.And it is by far the best car I've ever had.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 PM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

If there’s a will; there’s a way. Someone brilliant come up with something.

After 2 years of waiting, I am finally getting my A8 Z06 in the 2 weeks. I would like to contribute to someone less fortunate to share the same excitement. There is so much hatred and evil in the world; we need to balance it out with some kindness and love.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 PM
FlashofRed
Instructor

Originally Posted by G352C6
If there’s a will; there’s a way. Someone brilliant come up with something.

After 2 years of waiting, I am finally getting my A8 Z06 in the 2 weeks. I would like to contribute to someone less fortunate to share the same excitement. There is so much hatred and evil in the world; we need to balance it out with some kindness and love.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:12 PM
86V
Instructor

All,

I have been in communication with one of the moderators who ran this through the Corvette forum management. Long story short, we cannot use the forum to collect money for anything other than a recognized charity (they are fearful of scammers and I can understand that). So, in short, our idea is unfortunately a "no go" as we would need the full support of the forum. I think I will do as the OP suggests and make a donation in leu of. In my case, I will look for a fallen LE association of some kind.

I am truly sorry to be the bearer of this bad news, but am so motivated by the fact that quite a few of us were ready to stand up and be part of something special. Very, very cool...

BEYOUND COOL My friend. I am truly humbled by just the thought and that is truly enough. Thank you. I will pass on the good will.......
Old 01-29-2015, 02:33 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

To the OP. Swallow your pride for the C7. Become a gigolo for the old gal. Give her a few good times to remember (she won't) and have her write you into the will for the C7.

Problem solved.

(Thanks to the LEO's who responded here. Most of you treat me very well when I need a little "reminder" on the road. You guys definitely don't have it easy these days.)
Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 PM
86V
Instructor

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
The part I don't get is owning a C4 how could you not be impressed with a C5 or C6
LOL. Lets go back to 1986. I was 20 yrs old. Lived with my parents still. You have to think of the times. The home computer wasn't invented yet. Everything in the 80's was geared towards futuristic themes. Movies like Back to the future, and you had TV shows like Knight rider. If you had a brick cell phone you were a god. LOL.

Now out comes the C4 in 84'. My last yr in high school. Dude I cant explain what that car did to my senses. The digital dashboard was something only seen on TV and the movies. The stance from the back with the 16" VR 50 gatorback tires (Z rated was not around yet). The Targa roof....you have no idea from a young mans perspective in 1984 what that car did for the libido!

Now its 1986. I have a union card and my first job as a IBEW Electrician. My Dad and I drove up to Reedman Chevrolet in Langhorne Penns to look at cars. I was thinking IROC Z or maybe a Monte Carlo SS. We had to pass through the large corvette coral on the way to where those were located. Lets say I never made it .

I spotted a Silver Beige Metallic one that was the same color of the 82 collector edition . That was my favorite Corvette up to that point.

At $27,000 (I think I paid $20 because I had a trade in ) my father co signed and I was the coolest kid on the block. I cant transmit in words to how amazed I was with that car in 1986. I would wash it and just stare at it on the porch. I loved the angle of the back the best. Those Huge tires were just unreal stock compared to any car made at the time.

The joy and excitement of that car never quite wore off for me. I paid it off in 1990 and swore I'd never need another car again. The C5 came out and I was not impressed. very rounded. The Interior improved sure, but not enough to place me in debt again. I have never seen a C5 I prefer over my car. The C6 was cool as heck.....but again, even the Grand sports were not enough. Very cool but I'll stay debt free thank you. (The burnt orange C6 is my favorite color)

C7 came out.....I remember the Ravens QB got one of the first red ones after being named MVP in the Superbowl. My eyebrow went up. Ehhhhhh what do we have here? very nice. But I wasn't blown away until I saw it in person. They are still not many out there, I only see them once and a while. When I saw Ms Barbaras I was like.....Whoa! That was my first one up close. And when I drove it.....OK My C4 feels pretty old now! Took me a while to figure out how to start it! Whats this Key thing? OK check it out! You push the button like speed racer in the Mark V! That was a really cool experience. You guys enjoy yours! You all have earned it. I have a college age son now and priorities but I am definitely hooked now. The C5 and C6 didn't do that for me. Amazing cars and Im not putting anyones ride down....but to make me go back in debt takes a lot. The C7 is worth it.

I know a guy who just wanted a Corvette his whole life. that was his dream. He bought a 76' C3 that needed so much work. But the guy is over the moon with his purchase. I think of him and realize how lucky I am. You guys think of me and realize how lucky you are. When I was 20 I'm not so sure I did that. Life is full of experiences and I try to take away as much as I can. You guys have added to that and I thank you.

Maybe the 2021 C7 will be a special collector edition before the C8 comes out and I can grab one........

Last edited by 86V; 01-29-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove a C7 Corvette for the first time today........