Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a savvy to power a V1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:46 PM
ATC
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Anyone using a savvy to power a V1?

Thinking about getting a savvy and remote for my V1. Was wondering if anyone is using them, an how well they are performing. TIA
Old 01-29-2015, 05:01 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I use it and it works fine. You just need to get used to the detector turning on when you open the door as that's when power is sent to the ODBII port. I love the speed sensitive mute too.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:12 PM
ATC
Racer

Originally Posted by mjw930
I use it and it works fine. You just need to get used to the detector turning on when you open the door as that's when power is sent to the ODBII port. I love the speed sensitive mute too.
Thanks! I've heard it may affect onstar. Any problems with that? I really like the idea of the speed sensitive mute too.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:28 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATC
Thanks! I've heard it may affect onstar. Any problems with that? I really like the idea of the speed sensitive mute too.
Onstar diagnostics can't run if anything is connected to the OBDII port so yes, those monthly emails will show warning symbols. I let Onstar expire so it's irrelevant to me.

If you need to get Onstar to run diagnostics just unplug it.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:42 PM
ATC
Racer

Onstar diagnostics can't run if anything is connected to the OBDII port so yes, those monthly emails will show warning symbols. I let Onstar expire so it's irrelevant to me. If you need to get Onstar to run diagnostics just unplug it.
Plan on doing the same. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 AM
SCorvette08
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC
Thinking about getting a savvy and remote for my V1. Was wondering if anyone is using them, an how well they are performing. TIA
only way to go plug and play set your speed and you don't hear those annoying false CVS stores still will see the lights no problem with onstar
works great V1 goes off for everything in the world thought not impressed with the radar detector wish i got something else with less false alarms
Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCorvette08
only way to go plug and play set your speed and you don't hear those annoying false CVS stores still will see the lights no problem with onstar
works great V1 goes off for everything in the world thought not impressed with the radar detector wish i got something else with less false alarms
There are ways to help with the false alarms. First, use Logic mode, that will filter out about 50% of the automatic doors. Then, if you live in an area that doesn't use X-Band (most don't anymore) then turn that off, that will clear at least another 50% of the false alarms. Also, depending on when you bought it you may not have the latest crystal controlled oscillator. That helps narrow the Ka-Band to eliminate other things using the spectrum.

Here's their FAQ on programming: http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/TechReport3.asp
Old 01-30-2015, 01:53 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC
Have it and love it. Great being able to program speeds to ignore. Blendmount; then run wire under headliner where it meets the windshield down the pillar molding and into the Savvy... easy as pie.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
Have it and love it. Great being able to program speeds to ignore. Blendmount; then run wire under headliner where it meets the windshield down the pillar molding and into the Savvy... easy as pie.
I used this same approach. Savvy and Blendmount
Old 01-30-2015, 09:03 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

There are ways to help with the false alarms. First, use Logic mode, that will filter out about 50% of the automatic doors. Then, if you live in an area that doesn't use X-Band (most don't anymore) then turn that off, that will clear at least another 50% of the false alarms. Also, depending on when you bought it you may not have the latest crystal controlled oscillator. That helps narrow the Ka-Band to eliminate other things using the spectrum.

Here's their FAQ on programming: http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/TechReport3.asp
I'm using Logic mode and I've got X and Laser off and mine still goes off continually. Only started doing this within the last 6-8 months. I'm on a version of firmware that is 6+ years old at this point. Guess it's time to get it upgraded.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:11 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I'm using Logic mode and I've got X and Laser off and mine still goes off continually. Only started doing this within the last 6-8 months. I'm on a version of firmware that is 6+ years old at this point. Guess it's time to get it upgraded.
Yep, probably time for an upgrade, sounds like the oscillator has drifted which will exaggerate false alarms. Another thing the older units can't deal with are all the new collision avoidance, auto cruise and blind spot detection systems. I had to disable rear K band and add a 3 second delay to use my old one in my Jeep SRT because of the blind spot system.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-31-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:28 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Definitely get it upgraded. I haven't sent mine in yet, but they have a new "junk k fighter" update to help with those terrible new cars with collision avoidance.

I'd also recommend using the Yav1 app to help with falses and muting so you can lockout annoying signals. Now with auto lockout learning as well. Yav1 also has the ability to emulate Savvy among many other things.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:59 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
Definitely get it upgraded. I haven't sent mine in yet, but they have a new "junk k fighter" update to help with those terrible new cars with collision avoidance.

I'd also recommend using the Yav1 app to help with falses and muting so you can lockout annoying signals. Now with auto lockout learning as well. Yav1 also has the ability to emulate Savvy among many other things.

How to Quiet a V1, Part 5: Savvy - YouTube

YaV1 2.0: GPS Autolockouts Explained - YouTube
Yup, just sent mine in. 99 bucks is not bad. I also ordered the
V1connection, for Android for 49 bucks. Savvy is not really worth it for me as I rarely drive under the speed limit and don't want it plugged into my OBDII port.

BTW, I rarely use the V1 in my vette. I use it more in my daily driver as I commute between 2 homes 3 hours apart and it's all Highway.

Thanks for the videos on the YaV1. I just installed the app and waiting fr my V1 and V1connection for Android arrives. This is like Savvy plus a lot more. Awesome software!!

Last edited by C7-Beast; 01-31-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using a savvy to power a V1?

Quick Reply: Anyone using a savvy to power a V1?