Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another type of Vette 'tax'.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:54 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Another type of Vette 'tax'.

Yes, there is more than one type of Vette tax and tonight I almost got 'taxed'.

The wife and I took the new Vette (still has paper tags) down to the local supermarket in order to do some banking.

After leaving the store, before I even left the parking lot, I noticed all sorts of red and blue lights coming on behind me. So, it looks like I'm getting pulled over by a local cop, but I couldn't have broken any laws.

I get out of the car (not nervous or anything, just wonder what's going on) and I ask the cop what I did wrong. He asked me what I was doing parking in a handicapped parking spot, and I tell him that we have a handicapped hanger for the mirror. He then asked me if we had the hanger on the mirror. My answer was yes we did.

He told me that someone called the local office and reported a new blue Vette parking in a handicapped spot without a handicapped license plate or hanger. I told him that my wife was legally handicapped and it was legal to park where we parked. I then showed him the hanger and he said that everything was cool. My wife is a >40 year type one diabetic with neuropathy and heart disease. Outside she looks healthy, but inside she isn't healthy at all. I told him that whoever called in on us could kiss my *** and he laughed.

By now everything was OK so I told him I figured he was pulling me over to check out the car. Well, he then asked if I minded him checking out the car, which I said OK. So he looked around and admired the car, plus he asked me a couple of questions.

My opinion is that someone was jealous as hell, then tried to sic the cops on us..............epic fail on their parts.

Just another Vette 'tax' for those of us who own one.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:14 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

I look at anyone who is parking in a HP spot regardless of car and physical appearances.
My Wife at 52 has been disabled for three years now and at times looks ok (although wearing oxygen at a relatively young age should be a clue).
If you have a placard, you're fine by me.
If you don't, watch out!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:43 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,889 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Jealousy likely did not play a part.

Most Vette owners don't require a handicap parking sticker or tag... someone saw a Corvette pull into a handicapped spot and made a call....

One cannot, of course, determine the health of someone simply by the kind of car they drive, but the myths and stereotypes are difficult to overcome.... the stereotype of someone with enough money to buy a luxury car is that of one in good health.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:54 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Cross country MC accident when I was 36-->artificial hip...I have a handicapped sticker, yeah i get looks every time I park.

Last edited by Glen e; 01-30-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 AM
Karanx7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The officer shouldn't have pulled you over for that. It's illegal to pull you over just because someone called in a handicapped parking violation.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Since the majority of Vette owners are older people, seems like the a fair number might have some sort of physical disability. Yahoo had an article a while back that reported the median age as 61.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

I am 34 and my wife is 25 (yeah i know...I'm a dirty old cradle robber) and the looks we got when I would park the car in the expectant mothers parking at work had me laughing on more than a few occasions. My wife and i work at the same place and we carpooled in the C7 so parking in the completely empty expectant mothers parking area afforded me a brief reprieve from having to park my Corvette among the sea of beat up Priuses and Volkwagens that litter my work's parking lots. Now that she is too pregnant to come to work I have to park in BFE to keep people from parking on top of my car.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:05 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never get out of the car... Just sit there with your hands on the wheel in plain sight. There are a lot of accidental shootings because of this-- rant over. I'm glad they didn't ticket you.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
expectant mothers parking at work.
What a great idea.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Admittedly I also look at whose parking in a handicap spot without a permit. I have a 15 year old son who is totally handicapped in a wheelchair I never got a handicap permit because I always felt as long as I can walk the distance and still fit him in the wheelchair without needing the extra space I'm ok (stupid on my part).

Anyway, I get really frustrated when I see that parking space abused by people using someone else's permit. (Happens all the time).
Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Since the majority of Vette owners are older people, seems like the a fair number might have some sort of physical disability. Yahoo had an article a while back that reported the median age as 61.
Don't forget mental disability - based on select posts I read on this forum I suspect that is an issue also.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:43 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Originally Posted by Karanx7
The officer shouldn't have pulled you over for that. It's illegal to pull you over just because someone called in a handicapped parking violation.
Show me any law (in the USA) that says it's illegal for police to pull you over for that...
Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It is illegal to ask them what their handicap is. Unclear if the officer did that or not, but definitely sounds like he wanted an explanation. Pulling a suspect over with suspicion of "non-handicap" thus requiring them to prove they are handicap, would most likely fall into that category in front of a judge.

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
Show me any law (in the USA) that says it's illegal for police to pull you over for that...

Per American Disabilities Act.

Last edited by jedblanks; 01-30-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

My SO had hip surgery at the ripe age of 27 so the doctor had authorized a temporary handicapped pass because his mobility was so limited. I have a hard enough time being a 25 YO female (I look like I'm 16) and getting out of my Vette, but if looks could kill, I would have been dead over a dozen times from carting my guy around and parking in the handicapped spots for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I have a handicapped sticker, yeah i get looks everytime i park.
Same with my dad and his C6. People need to worry about their own crappy lives instead of getting in the middle of other peoples' business.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Same with my dad and his C6. People need to worry about their own crappy lives instead of getting in the middle of other peoples' business.
Good luck with that. Seems people spend way more time these days worrying about others' problems than tending to their own affairs. I guess it makes them feel better about their crappy situation to belittle others. Some people take it to the extreme and try to destroy nice things others have. This country is filled with bitter a-holes.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:41 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
It is illegal to ask them what their handicap is. Unclear if the officer did that or not, but definitely sounds like he wanted an explanation. Pulling a suspect over with suspicion of "non-handicap" thus requiring them to prove they are handicap, would most likely fall into that category in front of a judge.

Per American Disabilities Act.
lol at all of this. Corvette criminal lawyers at work

Get notified of new replies

To Another type of Vette 'tax'.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Everyone knows only old people drive Corvettes so they should expect parking in the handicapped spot
Old 01-30-2015, 11:16 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

As an LEO myself, I can tell you he has no "tax" for you. Maybe the reporting party did, but not the officer. We respond to the calls we receive. We also don't "target" Corvettes. I've never stopped a car that wasn't breaking a law.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:18 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Where'd you get your law degree?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another type of Vette 'tax'.