Another 500-mile oil change experience

Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Another 500-mile oil change experience

Just one more reason I love this forum.

After reading countless posts on oil 'burping' causing oil in the intake, I was ready for my 500-mile first oil change. I know this is a pretty standard procedure, so I didn't want to come across as "one of those guys", but I did want to confirm they knew of some of the recent issues/confusion regarding the Z51.
  • Do you use Mobil 1 for the Corvettes? - Yes
  • Do you use Certified Corvette techs? - My SA didn't know (which I appreciate his honesty) so we pulled the service manager over. They have 2 Corvette techs but not for oil changes. Sounds reasonable.
  • You do check the oil hot right? - Yes
  • You are aware of the service manual addendum from 10.5 quarts of oil to 9.8? - Yes
  • Please make sure the tech is aware of both drain plugs - He does
  • Please fill halfway to full on the hatch marks, not to max - Okay

My car was finished within an hour so I thanked my SA and drove off. Part of me is saying, "Now you can finally test this baby out" and another part is saying, "You've read an awful lot of posts where the oil was overfilled. You really want to risk this in your intake?" After about a mile, I pull into a parking lot, let the car sit for a few minutes and check the level. As warned about, the oil exceeded the 'max' level by quite a bit. Checked three times - same result. Drove back to the dealership since I was much closer to there than home, and requested they pull/drain the oil to the correct level. The SA was shocked as he relayed that he specifically instructed the mechanic on this. He informed the Service Manager who was visibly agitated that this wasn't done correctly, especially since their customer had brought up the concerns and experiences of other Corvette owners before this happened. He told me their Quality Control guy didn't check the work and it slipped by.

Got the car back, oil was 3/4 the way to max (good enough) so I called it a day. I was very nice to everyone at the dealership and appreciated my adviser's honesty regarding the Corvette Certified techs. Oil was overfilled - no big deal - easy fix.

The point of the story is this. As has been stated on this forum previously, don't trust anyone else to do this simple procedure without at least confirming it was done correctly afterwards (don't drive off first). Doesn't matter how many Corvettes they've worked on in the past - check it. Lots of folks do their own oil changes for this exact reason (I'll be doing the same once my 4 remaining freebies are gone). That's not an option for everyone, and if it's not for you - check their work!

Last edited by alienranch; 01-30-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Yeah, the guy who most recently changed the oil in my car was quite young and didn't know a thing about the C7. He was friendly, but I think they're just more or less on autopilot.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
Yeah, the guy who most recently changed the oil in my car was quite young and didn't know a thing about the C7. He was friendly, but I think they're just more or less on autopilot.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:12 AM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does anyone know the exact quantity of oil that should be added in an oil change to hit the halfway point on the dipstick with the engine oil warm???
Old 01-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jrainlay
does anyone know the exact quantity of oil that should be added in an oil change to hit the halfway point on the dipstick with the engine oil warm???
tell them to put in 9 even. Then get a quart to go and fill it to the right amount at home after a day. You are filling a reservoir, not the actual level the engine needs, so it can run on 9 all day long.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Have to love all the dealer stories. They could give me oil changes for life, it would still be done in my garage. No matter what they want you to believe, they just don't put their top techs on the lube rack, if they are techs at all..
Old 01-30-2015, 10:34 AM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
tell them to put in 9 even. Then get a quart to go and fill it to the right amount at home after a day. You are filling a reservoir, not the actual level the engine needs, so it can run on 9 all day long.
No way to overfill if the tech can handle this simple request.

-M
Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for the post, good info!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:08 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I tried to get my first oil change but car's front spoiler prevented driving onto the lift. I think it was a blessing in disguise, it would have been the dealer's first Z51 oil change. Your story....I think we are going to see dozens of threads with a similar story line...this whole dry sump feature to unfamiliar owners is counter intuitive, and no walk in the park.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Oil change issues are not new to the C7. When my Pontiac G8GT was new, I was hanging out on a G8 forum. The G8GT has an 8.8 qt crankcase. Several owners reported that the dealer’s shop gofter/dolt who did the oil change assumed he knew the crankcase capacity and underfilled the engine by 2 qts. Look at the manufacturer’s data clown.

So, two reasons why I do my own oil changes. I know it is done right and I don’t have to worry about under/overfills or an oil filter on too tight, or much worse, too loose. Don
Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At least they didn't joy ride it like they did with mine.

Maybe by next year the dealers will have figured out how to change the oil.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

He was friendly, but I think they're just more or less on autopilot.
The majority of people in their work life and personal life want to be on autopilot, they want to always push the easy button and not exercise their brain muscles.

It goes way beyond oil changes in our corvettes. Its in all factors of business and life, from houses to, insurance, to cars and most troublesome of all healthcare -- doctors and nurses.

Its buyer/owner beware , unless you want to fall victim of being passively on autopilot yourself.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

It's unbelievable how some people can't or won't do the right job, and a simple job at that. You're an oil change guy...the first thing you should learn is that you never overfill the oil, as it could damage the engine. Yea, there's a bit of play at the top of the stick, and slightly overfilling wouldn't be an issue on some cars, but that doesn't mean you refill every car with whatever number of quarts its engine takes and send it out the door. We all know there's some old oil left in the engine after draining, some leave more than others. If it takes 7, put 6 and add from there till it's a little below full. And prime the filter too, if possible. It's not rocket science.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

The last time I had my oil changed at the dealer was for my previous C6 vert. I watched as the "runner" put my fob on top of the roof and was ready to drive it around the building to the oil change area.
I caught him in time and he then placed it inside the cup holder.
As soon as Spring arrives I plan on taking my new C7 in for the oil change and will show the Z51 oil change guidelines to the service writer and expect compliance, and will verify it afterwards.
Thanks for the quick guide!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

"halfway to full on the hatch marks"

Didn't know that. I just checked mine recently (had my 500 done a little while ago) and that's exactly where it was. I thought it was a little low but I guess they got it right, how odd!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:06 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Nice yes I will be there soon!! Let me know when you finally get on that car how it feels. I'm only at 250 miles and the NJ weather certainly is not cooperating.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:07 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by harry2
The last time I had my oil changed at the dealer was for my previous C6 vert. I watched as the "runner" put my fob on top of the roof and was ready to drive it around the building to the oil change area.
I caught him in time and he then placed it inside the cup holder.
As soon as Spring arrives I plan on taking my new C7 in for the oil change and will show the Z51 oil change guidelines to the service writer and expect compliance, and will verify it afterwards.
Thanks for the quick guide!
I'm assuming there is a page in the manual that explains the Z51 oil change process in depth ??

Get notified of new replies

To Another 500-mile oil change experience

Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by thegame
I'm assuming there is a page in the manual that explains the Z51 oil change process in depth ??
Yes, clearly.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:10 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Glen e
Yes, clearly.
Sweet, I'll go over it thoroughly and also show the mechanic that does the oil change at 500 miles for me.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
"halfway to full on the hatch marks"

Didn't know that. I just checked mine recently (had my 500 done a little while ago) and that's exactly where it was. I thought it was a little low but I guess they got it right, how odd!
Anywhere within the hatch marks should be acceptable. However, lots of owner's are complaining about the 'burping' issue even when the oil is filled to max (not technically overfilled). Filling to the halfway mark seems to resolve the problem for many. Some people are talking about GM changing the dipstick marks, but I've heard nothing but speculation thus far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another 500-mile oil change experience