C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything for purchase at the assembly plant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:55 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Anything for purchase at the assembly plant?

I haven't toured the assembly plant for several years now, but the last time I was there the UAW was selling t-shirts and the plant itself sold some body panels that were rejected for production use. I bought a black C6 rear fascia to hang in the garage by my car. I don't seem to find anything like this available any longer-even for the last year or two of C6 production. Can anyone who has toured the plant recently confirm if anything like this is still offered?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Still are selling the same things, though also C7 versions now. Do not know about body panels (did not notice).
Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Unfortunately haven't toured the plant in a number of years. Got to get down there soon but would be interesting to hear more about any items you can get there.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:25 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They have a little walk in gift shop with some shirts and other souvenirs, however I did not see any body panels for sale at the time.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:10 AM
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

I was lucky enough to get something for free when our club toured the plant years ago. We had a question and answer session with an engineer that everyone knows. I asked him if it was a "bean counter" that decided to change the 2003 convertible trunk struts from one on each side to just one on one side. The trunk lid worked fine with two struts but with the more powerful single strut it eventually would not pop up the trunk lid. He was not aware of that problem.

I told him that they went back to two struts a short time later after an epic failure with just one shock. He said that he had to make a call to check on that as there was no recall or service bulletin on it.

After our tour was completed he came out and said that I was correct and apologized for the problem that I was having opening my trunk. He walked me over to the security officer and showed him a bag of paint chip samples for me which were the punched out squares from the European side lights. He thank us for attended the plant tour and walked us outside. He said there was a little something extra under the paint squares. Inside the bag were two brand new trunk lid struts taken right off of the line. He restored my faith in Corvette quality control! I met him again a few years later at Carlisle and thanked him for the new struts.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Foy Toy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Default gift shop at assembly plant

toured the assembly plant last july.
gift shop has several generations shirts, caps, other items.
bought a cap because it was MADE IN USA!
Ed Foy
foytoy
Fond du lac, wi.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:36 PM
firemist1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rejected Hardware

I toured the plant 2 years ago and the subject of rejected hardware came up. I was told that they no longer sell or offer rejected hardware to the public because some of that hardware actually ended up on eBay and there were liability issues once these parts got into the public domain and potentially installed on a Corvette, not just decorating a garage wall.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by firemist1
I toured the plant 2 years ago and the subject of rejected hardware came up. I was told that they no longer sell or offer rejected hardware to the public because some of that hardware actually ended up on eBay and there were liability issues once these parts got into the public domain and potentially installed on a Corvette, not just decorating a garage wall.
You can always depend on some a$$ hole messing it up for everybody else.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:26 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
You can always depend on some a$$ hole messing it up for everybody else.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I figured something like that must have happened...too bad. I'm sure it was a good way to recoup some costs of items damaged during assembly that weren't the fault of the manufacturer. Since my '05 is black and that was a popular color on C6's I didn't have to wait too long before one was available. I suppose we'll never see that idea show up again...

Get notified of new replies

To Anything for purchase at the assembly plant?

Quick Reply: Anything for purchase at the assembly plant?