Sponsored by:

Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:26 AM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That makes your contention not credible.
Posts like this is pretty much why i(and a lot of others) try to steer clear from you. I tell you i've owned several German cars and grew up in a family that has always been driving germans vehicles, but yet my "contention is not credible"? says a lot about you tbh. Its like no one can complain about their corvette here without captain foosh putting on his Vette cape and throwing himself into the mix. That kind of elitist attitude is one of the reasons us corvette drivers get/have a bad name/rep. It didn't take me long to realize why all the corvette guys in the Camaro6 forums dont like this place. Because of people like you. pathetic tbh

Oh and also, my buddies from Vegas and he ordered his car from Michigan. Maybe you missed the part where i said "the dealerships out here in CALIFORNIA" ... Southern California to be exact. If you have any friends out here, tell them to go to ANY Chevy dealer and report back to you. But then again, that probably wont be "credible" enough for you since he hasn't owned 35 German cars, right?

Anway, i dont know why i even bothered with you.

Last edited by T_B; 02-22-2017 at 12:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sixgun95 (10-07-2018)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:26 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default porsche is about "pre$tige"

IMO:lease one and get it out of your system and by then the e c8 corvette will be here. the porsche dealers and service departments should have to wear ski masks but everything they charge is legal. hey it's worked for M-B but their option li$t(just about everything)is still a money making marvel.
BUT porsche gets kudos for having gone from the brink of disaster(911 only)to a full line-up (suv, cayman/boxster,panamera) and successfully charging through the nose.

Originally Posted by OrioleFan
I am debating now between a Stingray and a Boxster S, Cayman S, or base 911.

Reading the car magazines they always rave about Porsche build quality. I find car magazines problematic slightly because they drive a brand new car for a day or two rather than living with a car, for the most part. I'm just wondering how true Porsche build quality is. I have also heard nightmares about Porsche.

I have never owned, driven, or ridden in a Porsche so I have no idea how it compares to the Vette in terms of quality.

Keep in mind, this question is only about build quality rather than performance quality between the two brands.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:32 AM
T_B
Instructor

A lot of those magazine actually drive the car around for months before giving a proper "review"
Old 02-22-2017, 12:37 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by T_B
Posts like this is pretty much why i(and a lot of others) try to steer clear from you. I tell you i've owned several German cars and grew up in a family that has always been driving germans vehicles, but yet my "contention is not credible"? says a lot about you tbh. Its like no one can complain about their corvette here without captain foosh putting on his Vette cape and throwing himself into the mix. That kind of elitist attitude is one of the reasons us corvette drivers get/have a bad name/rep. It didn't take me long to realize why all the corvette guys in the Camaro6 forums dont like this place. Because of people like you. pathetic tbh

Oh and also, my buddies from Vegas and he ordered his car from Michigan. Maybe you missed the part where i said "the dealerships out here in CALIFORNIA" ... Southern California to be exact. If you have any friends out here, tell them to go to ANY Chevy dealer and report back to you. But then again, that probably wont be "credible" enough for you since he hasn't owned 35 German cars, right?

LOL . . . and I'm hardly a Corvette person, having only owned 3 (2 C6 and 1 C7) out of 60 something cars. I'm about as brand agnostic as anyone gets. It's your statements about zero OP that lost your credibility. I've owned more BMWs (8) than anything else.

As I said, I am fully aware of the sometimes not insignificant Corvette flaws and have been highly critical of many. I think the A8 situation is inexcusable, but I have an M7. I lost an engine and had a delaminated roof on my C6 Z06, but GM quickly and satisfactorily took care of both. I am also honest about putting those flaws in the proper context, based upon bang for the buck and my many other ownership experiences.

I happen to be very high on the C7 right now, because my experience has been so good. That too could change, as perceptions are never static. Once upon a time, I was very gung-ho about German cars, until I wasn't.

And oh, BTW what does where a car was ordered or purchased from have anything to do with anything? All Corvettes come from one plant in Bowling Green, KY.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-22-2017 at 01:04 AM.
VETTE-NV (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by T_B

What with the personal attack? Just because he disagrees with you?

Many of your statements ARE ridiculous: Every single corvette has panel gap.....his Z06 was clean as whistle (whatever that means)....no German cars have orange peel.....etc. You sound like you've got some other agenda or maybe you need your eyes checked.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:00 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 AM
T_B
Instructor

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV

Many of your statements ARE ridiculous: Every single corvette has panel gap.....his Z06 was clean as whistle (whatever that means)....no German cars have orange peel.....etc. You sound like you've got some other agenda or maybe you need your eyes checked.
Are you illiterate, or just dense? I said the corvettes that i've seen out here in the southern cali dealerships! I also clearly stated that my friend doesn't live here nor did he purchase his Z06 from one of said dealerships. And i also said none of the german cars that i've owned had orange peel(including the POS C-class i have parked in my driveway). I dont know how many times i have to repeat myself for you slower-than-normal fellas. Maybe English isnt your first language? If it is, than i suggest you try going back to school.

And it has nothing to do with him disagreeing with me. The guy basically calling me a liar. And clearly i am, since i haven't owned 1247856234 cars, right?

Last edited by T_B; 02-22-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by T_B
Are you illiterate, or just dense? I said the corvettes that i've seen out here in the southern cali dealerships! I also clearly stated that my friend doesn't live here nor did he purchase his Z06 from one of said dealerships. And i also said none of the german cars that i've owned had orange peel. I dont know how many times i have to repeat myself for you slower-than-normal fellas. Maybe English isnt your first language? If it is, than i suggest you try going back to school.

And it has nothing to do with him disagreeing with me. The guy basically calling me a liar. And clearly i am, since i haven't owned 1247856234 cars, right?

I'm neither illiterate nor dense, sir. Forgive me if I paraphrased your meaningless BS. Regardless, you sound like you've got a lot of built-up anger. It must be frustrating that no one believes your hyperbole. I understand.

Perhaps you need a hug.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 02-22-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Foosh (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:21 AM
T_B
Instructor

Lol, i dont care if you believe it or not. Everyone over here has a working set of eyes, and that's what counts ... not what some blinded-fanbois on the internet think. The fact of the matter is when you walk into a Chevy dealership out here, the corvettes are all going to have panel gap/misalignment issues and most of them are also going to have orange peel. And if you walk into a Porsche dealership, you will be hard pressed to find a single car that has panel gap issues .. they just dont roll their cars off the production line carelessly like GM does.

You guys just need to deal with it, American companies just do not put together cars as well as the Germans do ... or even come close tbh. That's pretty much a fact. Doesn't mean Porsche's are better cars. ****, most Japanese cars are even put together better than ours.

Last edited by T_B; 02-22-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:35 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by T_B
Lol, i dont care if you believe it or not. Everyone over here has a working set of eyes, and that's what counts ... not what some blinded-fanbois on the internet think. Doesn't change the fact that when you walk into a Chevy dealership out here, the corvettes are all going to have panel gap/misalignment issues and most of them are also going to have orange peel.

You guys just need to deal with it, Americans companies do not put together cars as well as the Germans do ... or even come close tbh. That's pretty much a fact. Doesn't mean Porsche's are better cars. Shirt, most Japanese cars are even put together better than ours.
Not a fan boy....and there's really nothing I need to "deal with." My car has no panel gaps or misalignment. It has minimal OP that is far better than the Mercedes I just sold. I'm sure not all Vettes are this way, but I'm quite happy with mine. Sorry to disappoint you.

FYI, the SL550 I recently sold was in the shop ten times in six months. Had I not had warranty, the repair costs would have totalled $22K and none of this was for any major engine or drivetrain issues. It was all electronics, computer, and cosmetic failures. For example, the inside door handle, that was supposed to be brushed aluminum,, started to peel. It was plated plastic. On a $130K car.......

.......so enjoy those German cars!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:14 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh

And oh, BTW what does where a car was ordered or purchased from have anything to do with anything? All Corvettes come from one plant in Bowling Green, KY.

According to him, I guess they send all the crappy Corvettes to Southern California....because he knows for fact that EVERY SINGLE ONE has panel issues.
Foosh (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

That's good to know, and now that I think of it, a smart strategy, and a very good place to send them.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:47 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Lol
Old 02-22-2017, 05:58 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

FYI, the SL550 I recently sold was in the shop ten times in six months. Had I not had warranty, the repair costs would have totalled $22K and none of this was for any major engine or drivetrain issues. It was all electronics, computer, and cosmetic failures. For example, the inside door handle, that was supposed to be brushed aluminum,, started to peel. It was plated plastic. On a $130K car.......
I have an SL500 with the same issues. When people declare "German cars are better" all I have to do is start reading through my numerous repair bills to know these guys are talking smack and have no idea what they are saying.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:59 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I got to drive my Stingray today. On the highway. Shooting gaps between the other cars here and there. It was like riding a super bike in a field of 30 year old mopeds.

Threads like this are cabin fever boys. Like Mr. Zappa used to say 'Shut up and play yer guitar' - or drive your car as it were. But the latter is hard to do in much of the country when you have Michelin friggin race tires and it's sub 40ºF all the time.

I bet you don't see threads like this from mid April to November. I mean by the time I got home I was thinking 'we're all parsing the finer points of Porsche vs. Corvette quality when we have a car like THIS to drive?' Yeah, I was impressed with the Cayman S when I test drove it a couple of weeks back. I didn't think about that for 2 seconds after my car got out of 2nd gear today.

Last edited by patentcad; 02-22-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

The only German car that's tempting to me is the Porsche turbo 991. AWD DTC interior that amazes and classic/clean styling. I keep going back and forth if it's actually worth the money compared to the world class Z06. I'm waiting for the 2018 zr1/updated Z to make up my mind. By then 2014s turbos will be 90-100k.

From what I've seen build quality is better in the 911 but I don't confuse that with reliability. Imo there is a lot more that can go wrong with a turbo than the z.

Last edited by gatti-man; 02-22-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by patentcad
I bet you don't see threads like this from mid April to November.
Unfortunately, you do.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 02-22-2017, 07:53 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I always kicked myself for not buying a slightly used AMG
SL55 back in 2005.
I thought it was the most bad-a$$ed looking car I had every seen.
You make me glad I didn't...
Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
No problem.......Jack Ruby's at the ready.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I always kicked myself for not buying a slightly used AMG
SL55 back in 2005.
I thought it was the most bad-a$$ed looking car I had every seen.
You make me glad I didn't...
You dodged a bullet! :-

Modern times MBs are a /FAIL. Esp the gas burners. The diesels are bad enough. There is NO Mercedes-Benz worth their new price. Used? Maybe. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-22-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality