Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 02-23-2017, 11:28 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Hardly. Cars like the Corvette and some crossover SUVs are capable of 30 mpg on the highway, but with the C7, you can be averaging 31 mpg for 100 miles, you get off the Interstate and start driving local roads and the average mpg drops like a stone. Ditto for many other alleged '30 mpg' cars.

Americans look at the sticker, they see '32 mpg hwy' and in their heads they're buying a 30 mpg car. Then they never calculate their actual fuel usage while they own and operate the car. That's rather typical. Most of those crossover SUVs average 22-26 mpg in overall driving, which is great compared to SUVs of the past, but it's not 30 mpg either My C7 gets 15-20 mpg, it only creeps up to 20 if I'm doing a lot of highway driving on that tank. But it is capable of 32 mpg++ if you fill it up and drive it for 100 miles with the cruise control set @ 65-70mph. That's remarkable, but again, in real world driving, it's not really 30 mpg. At some point every trip takes you off the highway.

I'm sure cars get better mpgs in a warm, dry, flat (outside of the mountains that is) place like Nevada. Here in NY it's relentlessly hilly and it's cold half the year (colder air is heavier, more energy required to go any given speed).
Depends......not, hardly.

My 2006 E320 CDI, (#3,800, 3.2 liter, turbodiesel) is capable of 41 mpg, easy, on a cross country, 70 mph Interstate drive. Yesterday, I covered 112 miles in DFW Interstate driving,as well as miles and miles of stop and go congested Interstates in the Metroplex. Including; crawling, bumper to bumper for miles. The car turned in 33.7 mpg. I didn't look at the average mph for the onboard computer log, but it was probably in the 30 mph range. How I use the car? 30 to 33 mpg is what it yields on average use. However......1 mile each way to the health club? 24 mpg. As I wrote, it depends. Your C7 isn't going to average 30 mpg. I should have stipulated that. 30 mpg, is a very doable average for perhaps many new cars on the road today. Depends.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-23-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,873 Posts

I have no experience in owning a BMW, or Lexus, but I continue to read disaster stories on the BMW's cost of repair/ownership and dismal reliability issues. I have read none, or cannot recall reading any about the Lexus brand.

I am almost disgruntled on ever purchasing the MB brand, even used, ever again. Far too many better transportation choices out there, IMO. If, I lived in snow & ice Country, I'd probably own a 4 cyl. new Subaru Outback & a C7. As it is, I'll continue to struggle by with my now 11 year old, MB turbodiesel sedan, with 70K miles on it as my DD.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:53 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Depends......not, hardly.

My 2006 E320 CDI, (#3,800, 3.2 liter, turbodiesel) is capable of 41 mpg, easy, on a cross country, 70 mph Interstate drive. Yesterday, I covered 112 miles in DFW Interstate driving,as well as miles and miles of stop and go congested Interstates in the Metroplex. Including; crawling, bumper to bumper for miles. The car turned in 33.7 mpg. I didn't look at the average mph for the onboard computer log, but it was probably in the 30 mph range. How I use the car? 30 to 33 mpg is what it yields on average use. However......1 mile each way to the health club? 24 mpg. As I wrote, it depends. Your C7 isn't going to average 30 mpg. I should have stipulated that. 30 mpg, is a very doable average for perhaps many new cars on the road today. Depends.
Your post made it sound like 30mpg cars are commonplace. Hardly. My guess is true 30+mpg cars like your E320 CDI or my Lexus CT200h comprise well under 10% of the market. They are out there but you have to choose carefully and actually pay attention to real world mpg when buying a car. In my experience many consumers don't understand that the EPA numbers really mean, or what those numbers translate to (usually less mpgs) on the road. Diesels are the exception (those cars often exceed EPA estimates) but they appear to be on the way out.

I think within 10 years a substantial portion of cars on the road will be hybrids and plugin hybrids (and full electric) and then efficient cars may start to become commonplace.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 PM
dony45
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned two 911 Porsches and some Corvettes in my younger days and have also had BMW's, a true driving machine, My Mercedes had great handling and ride. The Infinity and Lexus was not impressive. Currently own a new 2019 Grand Sport. It is noisier than my Ram Truck and also makes my Ram feel like a luxury car as far as driving comfort. The Grand Sport does not compare to the handling and ride of a Porsche. My Grand Sport already makes minor squeaks and I never had that on my porches, Porsche definitely was of higher quality. The Grand Sport rides stiff even on Touring. Noise is not too bad. So what would be my choice today. If I had the money a Porsche Turbo. But that is not a fair comparison. I think for the money the Grand Sport is a bargain compared to other sports cars. I was debating on the Cayman S and the Grand Sport. What made me buy the Grand Sport is I just love the way it looks. I've had strangers come up and start talking about the car and I get people staring all the time. Of course it is the Long Beach Red which really stands out. No one seemed to notice my porsche. I love the car and some noise and stiffness is ok. It is so much fun to drive, so were the prosches but in a different way. I also looked at maintenance expense. Not sure you can really compare a Porsche and Corvette. Two different cars but the Corvette is my favorite.

Last edited by dony45; 10-07-2018 at 10:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
patentcad (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:26 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by dony45
I've owned two 911 Porsches and some Corvettes in my younger days and have also had BMW's, a true driving machine, My Mercedes had great handling and ride. The Infinity and Lexus was not impressive. Currently own a new 2019 Grand Sport. It is noisier than my Ram Truck and also makes my Ram feel like a luxury car as far as driving comfort. The Grand Sport does not compare to the handling and ride of a Porsche. My Grand Sport already makes minor squeaks and I never had that on my porches, Porsche definitely was of higher quality. The Grand Sport rides stiff even on Touring. Noise is not too bad. So what would be my choice today. If I had the money a Porsche Turbo. But that is not a fair comparison. I think for the money the Grand Sport is a bargain compared to other sports cars. I was debating on the Cayman S and the Grand Sport. What made me buy the Grand Sport is I just love the way it looks. I've had strangers come up and start talking about the car and I get people staring all the time. Of course it is the Long Beach Red which really stands out. No one seemed to notice my porsche. I love the car and some noise and stiffness is ok. It is so much fun to drive, so were the prosches but in a different way. I also looked at maintenance expense. Not sure you can really compare a Porsche and Corvette. Two different cars but the Corvette is my favorite.

Lose the runflats and it's a different car. Rides well and tire noise disappears.
patentcad (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Lose the runflats and it's a different car. Rides well and tire noise disappears.
I threw in those Block-It mats in the rear cargo area and behind the seats in my couple and it lowered the tire noise quite significantly. I don't notice it now.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:59 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by dony45
BMW's, a true driving machine=
I've owned a couple of BMWs. 'A true driving machine' is an advertising slogan. My C7 is FAR superior in that dept. Liked my 3 series, hated my 540i, greatly prefer my old 2007 C6 (which I owned prior to the C7) and my current 2017 Stingray.

Also I could never drive anything that slow.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

GM has a solid gold brand, Corvette, yet they let their econo-car brand sell/service it. So's we have pages and pages of complaints on this forum and others from affluent corvette buyers being treated like they brought a Chevy Chevette in for warranty issues and service. Even a GMC pickup truck owner gets better treatment because GM product-places the GMC brand upscale from Chevy.

it would take GM all of five minutes to create a luxury car niche for their high-end offerings. Simply rename the GM Cadillac Dealerships a new high end name, eg, Level 10, and let those Dealerships sell and service GM's high-end offerings exclusively, including Corvette. Worked for Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infinity, and Honda-Acura. The days of being treated like a second-class citizen in a Chevette dealership would be a thing of the past.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 10-08-2018 at 10:07 AM.
mbaessler (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 02:10 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

it would take GM all of five minutes to create a luxury car niche for their high-end offerings. Simply rename the GM Cadillac Dealerships a new high end name, eg, Level 10, and let those Dealerships sell and service GM's high-end offerings exclusively, including Corvette. Worked for Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infinity, and Honda-Acura. The days of being treated like a second-class citizen in a Chevette dealership would be a thing of the past.
Franchising agreements and laws would make this difficult; however, many of the forum dealers that specialize in Corvettes probably come close to what you hope for.

Buy from your local Chevy dealer and you'll get the same service they offer everybody else, whether excellent or not-so-good.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:35 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I am well aware that it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. However, I've owned 2-dozen German cars, and the treatment I get at my Chevrolet dealer equals the best treatment I've received at any of the German franchises.

It may not be common, but they are out there. I don't care if it's a Ford or Chevy dealer, a smart franchise General Manager will understand good customer service and can change the culture if he or she is committed to that. Some are.
Yes, good management coupled with competent service advisors and mechanics makes a big difference. I don't need my *** kissed every time I go in for service, just because I have an approximately $80,000 MSRP Stingray, only a competent service department with good people.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:21 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Purchased two new Porsches and one Corvette. New build quality the same with zero problems in all three. I like the look of the C7 Corvette the best
Old 12-21-2018, 11:12 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I for one have no objections to the current Corvette seats. What do you not like about them?
They don't fit my big azz. But that is nothing a few months on a keto diet would not cure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality