Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:29 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Other than cosmetic "Fit and finish" differences, there are big "differences under the skin"

Guess which handbrake mechanism is from a Corvette, and which from an Porsche.....and which door hinge....
Attached Images     

Last edited by ersatz928; 01-19-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:34 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
When I was at my local Porsche dealer a month back, a guy had just traded in both a 2013 Ferrari 458 Spider AND a 2016 911 GT3 RS. He left with a Cayman GT4 and a bunch of cash. The dealer doesn't have a price tag on the Ferrari, but they've listed the GT3 RS at $261,273. Apparently this guy didn't know or didn't care that the Cayman is reportedly "a chick car" and a "car you buy when you can't afford a 911". People who say things like this just don't understand that Porsche (or anyone for that matter) can make a car more rewarding and fun to drive than a 911 and it doesn't even have to be faster in a straight line or cost more.

That said, there are plenty of people who can afford a Porsche who opt for a Corvette as they are also amazing performance machines and a tremendous value considering performance per dollar. It says volumes about the Corvette that it's even being cross-shopped with Porsches that cost much more. The Corvette is an affordable, american built sports car that can hang with Stuttgart's best for a fraction of the price.
Well said because it is not always bang for the buck. Sure the Porsche takes a lot of negative hits on this Forum but the majority of trolls have never driven one or worse yet step into a showroom. Porsche takes care of there customers which is more than you can say for GM and many of there dealers.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:55 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^ Yes, service is certainly better at Porsche. I had my tires an alignment done on my 911 at my local Porsche dealer, I expected to have to wait around. I thought, well at least they have a nice waiting area with fruit, a comfy sofa, gourmet coffee, books on Porsche racing and a huge TV. Even better, they sent me on my way to work with a complementary loaner Panamera e-hybrid for the day. When I returned to pick up my car after work, they had also washed and vacuumed it out for me. Yes, they charge a lot for maintenance compared to other places, but I was grateful for my saved time and grateful I didn't have to take the car back multiple times to re-align or balance as it drove perfect the first time. I didn't have to worry about them nicking the wheels either as they were very meticulous.

When I picked up my ZR1 from Carmax, I took it to Chevrolet to have a full inspection done on it. I was shocked to find out they didn't have a loaner car program. Not even a Chevy Cruz or Cobalt loaner. The person on the phone in india quoted me the wrong price ahead of time. Their crappy coffee was empty too and there were a bunch of people waiting around in uncomfortable chairs. There was some trashy court TV playing on a small screen and a few people around me sounded sick. I had to have my wife come pick me up with our baby in tow since they said they'd have the car all day. I've wondered a few times since picking up my ZR1 if my old Porsche dealer would service a Corvette.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-19-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
The following 2 users liked this post by CloudLS9:
snow (01-19-2017), SterlingDrive (01-20-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:32 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Porsche gave me a Cayenne loaner for my annual oil change. It all depends on the dealer if they will work on Corvettes and the mechanics have no problem working on ZR1's.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:59 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

This thread is like a major Heavyweight Fight for the World Championship. Both are top notch professional competitors to get to this point.

This is a Corvette Forum with diehard and loyal Corvette owners. If you go to the Planet-9 Porsche Forum you will find diehard and loyal Porsche owners.

It is only natural that Corvette owners here will beat down many posts, and the Porsche brand.

Both are great cars, and only the duel owner of a Corvette C7 and Porsche can really make sound opinions or past owners of Porsches.

While many posts here are only opinions from non-Porsche owners, we need to keep in mind both Corvette and Porsche are historic iconic automobile brands.

It is hard to make comparisons on every aspect of the brands or models of Porsche vs the new generation Corvette C7.

As an owner of both, I see them as totally different sports cars in many ways. Both are great cars, and the comments about the Porsche Boxer and Cayman as "chick" cars are cheap and unfounded opinions on these respective models. Top speed and Horsepower is only one aspect of automobile ownership.

The history of these brands goes far beyond most owners ages. People of this respective forum, need to respect each brand for what they are.

I see that several Corvette C7 owners, also own the Porsche brand and are the best to make sensible and proper evaluations of the brand.

The argument over the Corvette build vs the Porsche build will never end, and there will always be a multitude of opinion(s).

I suggest unless you have owned both, stand aside in the speculation and opinions. As one CF member stated, most likely those making or passing judgment here, have never owned a Porsche or even walked into a Porsche showroom.

Both are great sports cars and should be enjoyed for what they both offer to the owner/driver.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

^^^

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-19-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
Yes, service is certainly better at Porsche. I had my tires an alignment done on my 911 at my local Porsche dealer, I expected to have to wait around. I thought, well at least they have a nice waiting area with fruit, a comfy sofa, gourmet coffee, books on Porsche racing and a huge TV. Even better, they sent me on my way to work with a complementary loaner Panamera e-hybrid for the day. When I returned to pick up my car after work, they had also washed and vacuumed it out for me. Yes, they charge a lot for maintenance compared to other places, but I was grateful for my saved time and grateful I didn't have to take the car back multiple times to re-align or balance as it drove perfect the first time. I didn't have to worry about them nicking the wheels either as they were very meticulous.

When I picked up my ZR1 from Carmax, I took it to Chevrolet to have a full inspection done on it. I was shocked to find out they didn't have a loaner car program. Not even a Chevy Cruz or Cobalt loaner. The person on the phone in india quoted me the wrong price ahead of time. Their crappy coffee was empty too and there were a bunch of people waiting around in uncomfortable chairs. There was some trashy court TV playing on a small screen and a few people around me sounded sick. I had to have my wife come pick me up with our baby in tow since they said they'd have the car all day. I've wondered a few times since picking up my ZR1 if my old Porsche dealer would service a Corvette.
My Acura dealer gives me the same amenities and loaner as Porsche. Its a very nice experience. Porsche is excellent as well.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

All this Porsche talk reminded me of one thing I miss about my old Porsche dealer, every Saturday was car wash day. If you can in the morning they would hand wash and vacuum your car even clean the dash and window for free. They always put out a spreed for breakfast and treated you like royalty! I know they were just hoping if you sat in the dealer around all the new cars sooner or later you would upgrade. Sadly this dealer close before I even sold my car this dealer was walking distance to my house. I wish the Chevy dealer would wash my car every week but I'm not sure I would even trust them.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:55 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
Yes, service is certainly better at Porsche. I had my tires an alignment done on my 911 at my local Porsche dealer, I expected to have to wait around. I thought, well at least they have a nice waiting area with fruit, a comfy sofa, gourmet coffee, books on Porsche racing and a huge TV. Even better, they sent me on my way to work with a complementary loaner Panamera e-hybrid for the day. When I returned to pick up my car after work, they had also washed and vacuumed it out for me. Yes, they charge a lot for maintenance compared to other places, but I was grateful for my saved time and grateful I didn't have to take the car back multiple times to re-align or balance as it drove perfect the first time. I didn't have to worry about them nicking the wheels either as they were very meticulous.

This is why Vettes should be serviced and sold out of Caddy dealers, not Chevy dealers.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Since it's an "open" forum, I'm not so sure only Porsche owners who also own/have owned Corvettes are the only ones who can comment with a degree of knowledge and understanding. Many on this and other forums have driven, ridden in, talked with owners, shop mechanics, technicians, racing teams and mechanics/technicians on same, been on track against, etc. In other words, to own is not necessarily to be the sole and only "cognoscenti" of Porsche cars. For that reason, polite discussions are always helpful, but the "types" who can and will comment may not necessarily be limited to owners. IMO, of course.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
dvilin (01-19-2017), nmvettec7 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

So they call the Cayman or Boxster a 'girl's car"? Only a complete imbecile would say that. The opinions of imbeciles should not be anybody's concern. 'The Corvette is an old man's car'? Ditto.

I can't afford a new 911 and even if I could I wouldn't want one for a number of reasons. I could probably afford to stretch to buy a Cayman S, which strikes me as a better sports car than a 911, but it would be a stretch, just like the Corvette was for me. If I'm going to stretch to buy something as skullfarked as a $65K friggin toy then I have to be awful motivated. A big part of that with a purchase like this is emotional, and for me there is something emotional a about a red Corvette that is wrapped up in it being an American car with a unique and storied heritage that is part of my personal life. I grew up loving the car since I can remember. And it was easy to find a cool used C6 at a much more modest number than it would have been with a Porsche.

Owning that got me knowing other Corvette owners. What a cool bunch of people they are. And that's why I bought the 2007 C6 in 2015 and the 2017 C7 in 2016. Why would I denigrate Porsche, a company that makes what are arguably the very best sports cars on the planet? If Chevy is chasing Porsche's tail forever, and even if they only get close, so what? I've seen plenty of Porsche vs. C7 comparisons where the C7 actually won, or even if it lost, you could tell the testers had more fun with the Corvette.

Like I said above, I think if you really look hard, Porsche has better quality than the C7. But you DO have to look MUCH harder than 4 years ago, and I am thrilled with the level of quality in my new car. Hell, I thought the quality of my 10 year old C6 was damn impressive, but GM has clearly answered the call to elevate the Corvette's quality with this newest version. The interior is gorgeous and brilliantly designed.
The following users liked this post:
1950silverstreak (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
This thread is like a major Heavyweight Fight for the World Championship. Both are top notch professional competitors to get to this point.

This is a Corvette Forum with diehard and loyal Corvette owners. If you go to the Planet-9 Porsche Forum you will find diehard and loyal Porsche owners.

It is only natural that Corvette owners here will beat down many posts, and the Porsche brand.

Both are great cars, and only the duel owner of a Corvette C7 and Porsche can really make sound opinions or past owners of Porsches.

While many posts here are only opinions from non-Porsche owners, we need to keep in mind both Corvette and Porsche are historic iconic automobile brands.

It is hard to make comparisons on every aspect of the brands or models of Porsche vs the new generation Corvette C7.

As an owner of both, I see them as totally different sports cars in many ways. Both are great cars, and the comments about the Porsche Boxer and Cayman as "chick" cars are cheap and unfounded opinions on these respective models. Top speed and Horsepower is only one aspect of automobile ownership.

The history of these brands goes far beyond most owners ages. People of this respective forum, need to respect each brand for what they are.

I see that several Corvette C7 owners, also own the Porsche brand and are the best to make sensible and proper evaluations of the brand.

The argument over the Corvette build vs the Porsche build will never end, and there will always be a multitude of opinion(s).

I suggest unless you have owned both, stand aside in the speculation and opinions. As one CF member stated, most likely those making or passing judgment here, have never owned a Porsche or even walked into a Porsche showroom.

Both are great sports cars and should be enjoyed for what they both offer to the owner/driver.

There will never be a winner between the two brands and owning both has given me a chance to experience what the Porsche brand is all about.
nmvettec7 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by patentcad
So they call the Cayman or Boxster a 'girl's car"?

Oh man....I test drove a Cayman S with the PDK before I bought the C7.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:44 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Dont have a P car but have test drove a few and they are spectacular works of engineering. I will chime in on the overall experience with Chevy as a dealer /service department, they are cheap and dont have any idea how to treat their customers. I had a C6 Z51 before this C7 GS and I use to hate to have to take it to the dealer. We have two Mercedes Benz AMG's as well. When I take either in for service I always get a loaner, I'm treated well, offered something to drink while I wait for the loaner. When I collect the car it is washed and vacuumed. We also get free car washes when ever we want...

Yes service is more expensive but it is well worth it, Chevy could learn from other brands. I know that the wife was not too happy about the new vette. She hates the dealership experience that comes with the car.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OrioleFan
I am debating now between a Stingray and a Boxster S, Cayman S, or base 911.

Reading the car magazines they always rave about Porsche build quality. I find car magazines problematic slightly because they drive a brand new car for a day or two rather than living with a car, for the most part. I'm just wondering how true Porsche build quality is. I have also heard nightmares about Porsche.

I have never owned, driven, or ridden in a Porsche so I have no idea how it compares to the Vette in terms of quality.

Keep in mind, this question is only about build quality rather than performance quality between the two brands.
Greetings,

I had a Cayman S and there is no comparison in quality...simply put, the Porsche is a much better automobile...suspension system, brakes, manual transmission, performance, body fit, no brake dust, perfect shifter, etc.

The Corvette gives you a big bang for the buck...however, maintenance and service on a Porsche will shock you. Go visit a Porsche service bay and then visit a Chevy service bay...one you can eat off the floor...the other you might want to wear those little blue elastic paper socks over your shoes...the two do not even compare.

I've received more compliments on my Shark Gray Z51 than the black Cayman S. I have had more people tell me I'm number one (if you know what I mean) in the Porsche. Be prepared for how the general public treats you if you drive a Porsche. It's a weird phenomenon about owning a Porsche. Leased the Porsche (great residual and great money factor rates = low monthly payment) and sold the Porsche to a friend after the lease. Corvette leasing is non-existent (money factor rates and residuals are the culprits).

One final comment...if you drive a Porsche, no other Porsche owner will ever wave to you. If you drive a Corvette, EVERY other Corvette owner will wave to you...give you thumbs up...flash their headlights, etc. Oorah.

Good luck with your decision.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Former USMC; 01-20-2017 at 08:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Former USMC:
Corgidog1 (01-20-2017), snow (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I'm not brand loyal and really think any car enthusiast should own a Corvette and a Porsche at least once in their lifetime. Two outstanding sports cars.
TARANTULA (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 11:46 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by Former USMC
Greetings,

One final comment...if you drive a Porsche, no other Porsche owner will ever wave to you. If you drive a Corvette, EVERY other Corvette owner will wave to you...give you thumbs up...flash their headlights, etc. Oorah.

Semper Fi
Yes, having had both, there is much better camaraderie amongst Corvette owners. That is definitely a plus one in Corvettes favor. I grew up going to Corvette cruise ins, shows with concerts, family picnics, charity events etc and of course the wave.

This is a big part of the allure of a Corvette to me and part of what tipped the scale in favor of a Corvette this last purchase. I have a ~6 month old son who's yet to be indoctrinated in to the world of cars and car clubs and a ZR1 seems like a good place to start once he's a little older.

Last edited by CloudLS9; 01-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 01-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
This is why Vettes should be serviced and sold out of Caddy dealers, not Chevy dealers.
There are certainly great Chevy dealers and service departments, but my experience with Chevy dealers has been a mixed bag. Our C7s have been/are serviced by our Caddy/GMC dealer. When we got our '15 C7 (shipped in from Kerbecks because the local Chev dealers wouldn't/couldn't touch the price of our large forum dealers, including paying to ship the cars), I asked our Caddy dealer if they could take care of our C7. They called and got permission. They service our new GS too. They're a smaller dealership with top notch people, and their service dept is awesome. They'll wash our cars any time we like, I've never had even a hint of fingerprints on any of our cars after service. They'll pick up our cars for service if we want, or drive us back to our home (15 miles away) as needed and deliver the car after service. I've never had that type of service from a Chev dealer. Maybe they're out there, and maybe my Caddy dealer is the exception?

We deserve great service from our dealers, and it appears to be very mixed results with our Chev dealers. Porsche has cracked that code better than many/most others, including Chev for sure. But they charge a lot more and have far fewer dealers to train and manage. Sounds like an excuse............
Old 01-20-2017, 02:57 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by RPOC7R
I'm a long time Corvette owner who has a healthy respect for Porsches, especially 911's. That said, I find the "superior quality" attitude that some Porsche fans express to be somewhat amusing.

According to the November 2013 issue of Car & Driver, a significant common "problem area" for 911 Porsches manufactured from 1999 thru 2012 is engine "intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing failure", which can cause destroy the engine. I assume this flat six engine problem also is present in 1999 thru 2012 Boxters and Caymans. Porsche magazines are full of adds for aftermarket IMS configurations to address this serious issue. That it apparently took Porsche 14 years to correct this serious engine problem is mind boggling.
Porsche redesigned their engines in 2009 so from that point forward there was no more IMS in Boxster / Cayman / 911. Also, early year Mezger blocks used in turbo and GT3 never had one to begin with. That said, my 06 an 08 Porsches had an IMS bearing and my 12 did not. All three were very reliable and the only thing I had to do to any of them was basic maintenance (fluid changes tires etc).

The IMS issues remind me of the dropped valve issue on the LS7/LS9. In both cases, I've never known anyone in person to have the issue, but they are hot issues on the forums regardless of how uncommon they may be for most people. The IMS fear is born out of the extremely high cost of a Porsche replacement block. For my first two Porsches that had IMS, I bought a 60 month aftermarket warranty for peace of mind, then went on with enjoying the cars without any issue. Pro-rated balance of each warranty was refunded to use towards the next when traded early.

Yes, Porsche should take care of their customers when issues arise from a known design weakness. But on that token, Chevrolet should take care of LS7/LS9 owners with dropped valves, C7 Z06 owners with overheating issues and lets not forget the airbags that failed to deploy on GM cars because of the known faulty ignition switch... Bean counters, right?

At the end of the day, it's the Porsche and Corvette cars and the communities that surround them that make both rewarding to own and drive.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:02 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I'm not brand loyal and really think any car enthusiast should own a Corvette and a Porsche at least once in their lifetime. Two outstanding sports cars.
I have done this, and they really are both amazing cars.

Quick Reply: Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality