Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
I would call it American class quality.
I've owned an awful lot of high zoot luxury cars, so I think I can judge C7 quality with some credibility After a month with the car no defects, rattles, mechanical issues. The fit and finish is great, befitting a $70K car. Is it as good as a $125K Porsche? Maybe it doesn't quite get there, but it doesn't have to.

I'm familiar with quality levels of various brands from Honda to Porsche, and I've owned a lot of them. The quality on my C7 does strike me as world class. Certainly close enough for $63K out the door. I think if your quality can match a price that high (the average car transaction in the USA is HALF of that), that's world class, which is a rather vague euphemism to begin with.

All semantics. Today's Corvette quality is doing a much better job of living up to its considerable MSRP than it ever did before, and I think most buyers will perceive the car as representing the kind of build, materials and workmanship they want in a car like this. Most. There will always be exceptions.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:05 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

When the C7 is assembled and all the parts work properly, it is "world class". However, there are more than a few cases where owners are having similar issues or problems w/ their cars across the board.

Don't know if these recurring issues are due to design, quality of parts used or QC.

The A8 (across the GM line) has a problem (and on-going).

https://www.google.com/search?q=GM+A...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Yes there are fixes, some seem to work, other do not.

Don't get me wrong, love the C7. Just too many little things that seem to crop up to say the car is "world class". Certainly on the performance scale it is, but just not up to standard on the build side (yet).

Fortunately my 2015 1LT has been mostly trouble free. The occasional A8 "lurch", if I go from spirited driving to "blvd cruising", however everything else works as advertised. Paint looks fine to my eye and panel fit is good also. All the "tech" works and the car rides and handles great. It's a wonderful $60K sports car (except for the A8).

A friend has a 2015 3LT, with a whole series of issues (A8 lurching, turn signal clicking intermittently not working, shifted HUD, odd dash reports (attempted theft reports) and at least six other things that I cannot recall at the moment. Problems are intermittent, so dealer service cannot fix any of them. His car starts, runs and rides great, but these other issues (some small) are maddening for him.

Yes, C7 is head a shoulders above other earlier Corvette series, but still a bit short of "world class" IMO (if one defines world class as something beyond just performance).
Old 01-24-2017, 12:10 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Hey, it's General Motors boys. The engineering and design on the C7 is spectacular, but consistent quality across 35K cars annually coming off an assembly line? That has always been a challenge for them. I've gotten good cars, I know there are some dogs out there. So I get it.

But if you do get a good one (and I think most of cars are good) - they are very good. Much better than they used to be.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
Aston? I think you jumped up a few pegs.
I test drove a F type R and was very disappointed in the quality of the interior. I feel the Corvettes interior is much better quality. I wouldn't never have traded my 911S for the Jaguar. The Aston Martin is very nice but was not faster than my 911 S and that was one qualification that needed to be met for me to trade. The 911 interior is of very high quality but lacks a little in style. Maybe I was just getting jaded to the 911 but I find my Corvette Interior much more exciting. I do have the 3LZ so I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison to the others.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Well said because it is not always bang for the buck. Sure the Porsche takes a lot of negative hits on this Forum but the majority of trolls have never driven one or worse yet step into a showroom. Porsche takes care of there customers which is more than you can say for GM and many of there dealers.
The Porsche service does seem a little more special than the GM service. I would often get a $130,000 loaner car. The coffee machine was quite excellent. However, I would rarely get out of the dealer with routine service for under $1000. An oil change with filter alone was over $300. When I needed a new wheel it was $2900 for the part alone. I can buy a new Z06 wheel for $530 delivered. I have not had a problem getting service with GM but I am not pampered as with the Porsche, however it cost a lot less. I just had my sixth free oil change with my Corvette Z06 and the dealer always seems very excited to see my car. However I did have to drink just plain coffee out of a Styrofoam cup. I could however take the money I saved and go get a coffee shop latte,a really good lunch ,dinner and still have more money in my pocket. Three things I love about my Corvette is that it sounds better,accelerates faster, and has way less expensive service than my Porsche.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:50 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwardz
I test drove a F type R and was very disappointed in the quality of the interior. I feel the Corvettes interior is much better quality. I wouldn't never have traded my 911S for the Jaguar. The Aston Martin is very nice but was not faster than my 911 S and that was one qualification that needed to be met for me to trade. The 911 interior is of very high quality but lacks a little in style. Maybe I was just getting jaded to the 911 but I find my Corvette Interior much more exciting. I do have the 3LZ so I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison to the others.
As much as I love Jaguar's I feel they could have made the interior nicer on the F Type's.

And as far as Aston Martin's they are in a different league than Jaguar's, Porsche's and Corvette's! Performance wise they might lack a little but they are pure exotics which none of the three cars mentioned are and they more like Art and you feel that when you sit in one and experience them!
Old 02-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
As much as I love Jaguar's I feel they could have made the interior nicer on the F Type's.

And as far as Aston Martin's they are in a different league than Jaguar's, Porsche's and Corvette's! Performance wise they might lack a little but they are pure exotics which none of the three cars mentioned are and they more like Art and you feel that when you sit in one and experience them!
I know what you mean, but their more of a garage queen for an older gentleman but nice to look at.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by patentcad
I've owned an awful lot of high zoot luxury cars, so I think I can judge C7 quality with some credibility After a month with the car no defects, rattles, mechanical issues. The fit and finish is great, befitting a $70K car. Is it as good as a $125K Porsche? Maybe it doesn't quite get there, but it doesn't have to.

I'm familiar with quality levels of various brands from Honda to Porsche, and I've owned a lot of them. The quality on my C7 does strike me as world class. Certainly close enough for $63K out the door. I think if your quality can match a price that high (the average car transaction in the USA is HALF of that), that's world class, which is a rather vague euphemism to begin with.

All semantics. Today's Corvette quality is doing a much better job of living up to its considerable MSRP than it ever did before, and I think most buyers will perceive the car as representing the kind of build, materials and workmanship they want in a car like this. Most. There will always be exceptions.

Well said.....
Old 02-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Figured the front page would be interested in this too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...r-porsche-yet/
Old 02-16-2017, 05:54 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458

I just glanced at my neighbor's, it looked nice, I'll have to take a closer look at the car.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 PM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

I have driven amg s63 - Maseratti - bmw m6 comp package - it is not the same thing - you will have plastic console - creaks - wheel clicks - possible loose fabric on seats - orange peel paint - but WHO CARES - Porsche looks boring - A ton of ways to Mod or personalize your vette is a HUGE plus IMO.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:12 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I just glanced at my neighbor's, it looked nice, I'll have to take a closer look at the car.
I have always felt the modern Aston is the most beautiful traditional looking Sportscar made.
If there was a dealer nearby, it would be what I drive.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

I never got into Porsche. For the prices of most of them the quality better be an improvement.

They also all look the same to me, save for the top dollar models.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:53 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I have always felt the modern Aston is the most beautiful traditional looking Sportscar made.
If there was a dealer nearby, it would be what I drive.
I was taking about the Jaguar F type R sports coupe, my neighbor has one. Gorgeous looking car.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:45 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I was taking about the Jaguar F type R sports coupe, my neighbor has one. Gorgeous looking car.
Oh, OK...sorry about that.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

The C7 has it's design flaws, just as every car made does. Is the C7 worth the price? IMHO - NO! The interior in the Equinox is a far better layout and design.

Let me point out some C7 flaws that I despise the most.

#1: The air vents have beautiful chrome rings around them on the passenger side but nothing on the driver side. Flawed!

#2: Too many uses of various materials. There are three different types of metallic trim used in the C7 interiors.........(chrome around vents, silver around cockpit/console shifter/steering wheel bezel and something polished around the instrument cluster).........and not to mention the hideous carbon fiber thrown in the mix which adds a fourth material. Flawed!

#3: There is soft touch black material and black plastic which doesn't match. Flawed!

#4: Build quality (as Sin mentioned) is HIDEOUS for an $80K car.

..........on to the exterior! Why can't GM design the B glass to sit flush with the B pillar and C glass? They did it with the Camero. I absolutely hate the fact that the glass is recessed slightly and is not flush down the side of the vehicle. And to make it even worse! The glass has a wider space at the bottom than it does at the top when the window is closed. Hideous! It's the first thing I notice when I see a C7. Heh GM, why not recess the C glass so they sit flush and smooth.

Summation: Is the C7 interior great? Certainly not but it is a small step up from the C6. Is it worth the $80K price tag for the C7Z car? Well, that is subjective and I do not think it is. I think GM has lost touch with what the original Corvette brand was supposed to be.

A sports car should not make me feel the way this car does. I should not be noticing the flaws every time I approach the car and sit in it. That's not what driving is about.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 02-17-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:32 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
The only thing i would rate my C7 in poorly is build quality.

My paint is simply horrible for a car of this price and prestige.

There are areas of my 3LT Leather interior that look like it came from an Elephant. No way it would pass any Euro maker.

Panel gaps are also way too varied.

Why do I say this? Because Chevy needs to get the message and improve itself. Corvette owners deserve better for their money.
Finally someone who has the same opinion as I do. Whatever GM produces with the Corvette name buyers will defend it and overlook its imperfections.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Cchief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't beat the quality of Porsche, last year i replaced my 911 Cab with a new Stingray Z51 and love it. The Porsche quality is better but as someone else mentioned the bigger bang for the buck is there.
I currently drive a Macan which is coming off lease...i am having a had time finding something comparable to replace it.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Whatever GM produces with the Corvette name buyers will defend it and overlook its imperfections.
There is some of that for sure, but quality perception really does seem surprisingly subjective. I'm amazed that anyone who gets in a new Porsche wouldn't immediately perceive the higher quality (relative to the Corvette) that I sensed, but then I'd take major issue with the statement above about the C7 being 'junk'. That's not my experience with my two month old C7, the car is superb, fit/finish are great, the paint looks perfect (and back in the day I was a car wholesaler, I made my living judging car paint, so I think I'd see it if this new car's paint job had issues).

But then I'm also amazed at the defensive reactions some Corvette guys have if you say maybe the Porsches are a little better, they take it as an attack on the Corvette when it really isn't.

Last edited by patentcad; 02-17-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Cchief
I currently drive a Macan which is coming off lease...i am having a had time finding something comparable to replace it.
If you're looking for another luxury SUV, I'd recommend checking out the Acura RDX / MDX. We have a 2016 MDX Tech and have been very happy with it. The interior fit and finish is as nice as my past 3 Porsches, but the tech on the Acura is a step ahead. The engine is fairly stout and it's pretty quick off the line with the 9-speed transmission. It still gets good gas mileage when cruising due to cylinder deactivation. Our MDX can seat 7 or haul bulky items as well. It's tough to beat Honda / Acura on reliability and residual value too.

I wish Acura made a serious RWD sports coupe / vert offering in the 50-125k range. I know I'm not the only person who wants this. The S2000 and original NSX are still cult classics. The current NSX is a bit off the mark at $160k so people are shopping elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality