C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 02-18-2017, 10:32 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I looked at a Cayman S before buying a C7 Z51, as a DD. I LOVED the surround audio system - it sounded absolutely amazing, way better than any other stock radio I've heard. The car I drove had plastic dash and doors - don't know enough about Porsche options or how much it costs (or availability) of full leather interior like the 3LT.

What knocked it out for me was driving it over bad roads - that little Cayman S over bad roads made track mode on a Z51 feel like a luxury suspension. I couldn't live with the suspension on a daily basis. On good to great roads, the car was super tight and responsive - more-so than the vette, albeit no comparison for power. Exterior on the Porsche to me - boring vs the vette, exotic and beautiful.

I got super lucky and got a 2016 Z51 with absolutely no orange peel. I know this really varies from car to car. Hoping the paint issue is laid to rest in 2018. Every vette I've had has had rattles. To me, they come with vette ownership. Too bad - perhaps. But worth living with, with all the plusses that come with vette ownership - absofrickinlutely.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

There should be a comparison of these toys that are used as daily drivers as well!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
I looked at a Cayman S before buying a C7 Z51, as a DD. I LOVED the surround audio system - it sounded absolutely amazing, way better than any other stock radio I've heard. The car I drove had plastic dash and doors - don't know enough about Porsche options or how much it costs (or availability) of full leather interior like the 3LT.

What knocked it out for me was driving it over bad roads - that little Cayman S over bad roads made track mode on a Z51 feel like a luxury suspension. I couldn't live with the suspension on a daily basis. On good to great roads, the car was super tight and responsive - more-so than the vette, albeit no comparison for power. Exterior on the Porsche to me - boring vs the vette, exotic and beautiful.

I got super lucky and got a 2016 Z51 with absolutely no orange peel. I know this really varies from car to car. Hoping the paint issue is laid to rest in 2018. Every vette I've had has had rattles. To me, they come with vette ownership. Too bad - perhaps. But worth living with, with all the plusses that come with vette ownership - absofrickinlutely.
I currently have a 08 Cayman S and the option you have to get is PASM which is a have to have on that car. Like the Magride in your Z51, you can set the shocks from comfort to sport, but unlike Magride, the Pasm actually adjusts the shock within milliseconds depending on road conditions. When I first test drove the car I was on a back road with a chicane coming up. I was at about 70 before noticing that it was full of large ruts and potholes. Thinking that it was going to wash out a bit, I took a conservative line. I braced for a very bumpy ride, but to my amazement, the car just sailed through like there was no ruts at all and all I felt in the cabin was a mild rumble. But what turned me from getting another one was the decision by Porsche to convert all Caymans over to a 4 cylinder. Despite the power and torque increase, it wasn't the same for me. Needless to say, I'm on this forum now and have a heavily loaded 3LT GS 7M on order. I'll still keep the Cayman and hope the new Vette will be without some of the more annoying issues like a loudly banging roof panel or electronic failures reported on this forum. Squeaks, rattles, and minor paint flaws I could care less about, but a continuous loud banging of the roof panel over your head or a dash failure would make the car no fun to drive. But both eyes open and hope I get a good one.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Gearbox22 - a loud banging roof panel or dash failure would DEFINITELY be things to have repaired under warranty - they aren't something to be lived with.

Looking forward to your posts after receiving and driving the GS for a while. I just got into a 2016 3LT Z51 M7 - only reason I didn't get into a GS is that I found mine as CPO with only 1300 miles on it and a price too good to pass on. The car is amazing on every level. Hope you love yours!!!

And don't forget to wave when you see another corvette drive by!!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:38 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbox22
I currently have a 08 Cayman S and the option you have to get is PASM which is a have to have on that car. Like the Magride in your Z51, you can set the shocks from comfort to sport, but unlike Magride, the Pasm actually adjusts the shock within milliseconds depending on road conditions. When I first test drove the car I was on a back road with a chicane coming up. I was at about 70 before noticing that it was full of large ruts and potholes. Thinking that it was going to wash out a bit, I took a conservative line. I braced for a very bumpy ride, but to my amazement, the car just sailed through like there was no ruts at all and all I felt in the cabin was a mild rumble. But what turned me from getting another one was the decision by Porsche to convert all Caymans over to a 4 cylinder. Despite the power and torque increase, it wasn't the same for me. Needless to say, I'm on this forum now and have a heavily loaded 3LT GS 7M on order. I'll still keep the Cayman and hope the new Vette will be without some of the more annoying issues like a loudly banging roof panel or electronic failures reported on this forum. Squeaks, rattles, and minor paint flaws I could care less about, but a continuous loud banging of the roof panel over your head or a dash failure would make the car no fun to drive. But both eyes open and hope I get a good one.
I had PASM on 2 of my 3 Porsches and agree it is a must have option. The soft setting was even more gentle than the touring setting on my ZR1's MAG shocks, but still offered plenty of body control. Don't get my wrong, I've been very happy with the magnetic shocks in my ZR1, I just wouldn't buy another Porsche without PASM or another Corvette without Magnetic shocks. The roads are just too rough around me to live with a sport suspension all the time. That or I'm getting old.

You should check out TPC's Dynamic suspension control box for your Cayman S. It takes that PASM a bit further by changing stiffness per corner as the body weight transfers.
http://www.tpcracing.com/dsc.html
Old 02-18-2017, 05:56 PM
petee1997
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
^^^ LOL whatever!! Of course they are comparable! They've been compared to for decades. Perhaps GM should only produce 10,000 C7's and 1,000 Z06's and charge Porsche prices and then perhaps they would be compared in your mind! LOL....it's a Porsche NOT a Lambo or Aston Martin, etc, let's keep it real!
Porsche builds 36,000 911's per year. They could sell more but that is their max plant capacity.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:49 AM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
Gearbox22 - a loud banging roof panel or dash failure would DEFINITELY be things to have repaired under warranty - they aren't something to be lived with.

Looking forward to your posts after receiving and driving the GS for a while. I just got into a 2016 3LT Z51 M7 - only reason I didn't get into a GS is that I found mine as CPO with only 1300 miles on it and a price too good to pass on. The car is amazing on every level. Hope you love yours!!!

And don't forget to wave when you see another corvette drive by!!!!
No joke, I have read on this forum a number issues like these, including the loud banging of the roof panel like it wasn't locked down. Some had it resolved with the update kit, and others after numerous trips to the dealer, are still living with the sound. The funniest story was an owner who just had picked up his new Corvette, heard the sound, and immediately turned around and brought it back to the dealer. The dealer tells him that this is normal and in about 7,000 miles it should quite down, if not bring it back then lol. I fully understand this is not Porsche (I get a new Tahoe every 3-4 years), where I am greeted with a cappuccino and everybody seems to know my name. But I would have never let any dealer say something that ridiculous and let them get away with it. But with that said, I love the Corvette. I had tested the Stingray, GS, and Z06, and it brought out a driving experience that I thought was long lost on new cars. It made my heart pound, palms sweaty, and with every throw of the shifter, the g forces pressing you against seat was breathtaking. You have to love that rev match feature on downshifts. And it was good enough to beat out a 4 decade tradition of buying Porsches, and about par with the AMG GTS and Jaguar F Type R, but at half the cost and those cars only come in auto paddles which I am not ready to readily accept in my fun car just yet. Plus the Corvette has so many gadgets to keep you busy, it was a no brainer. If Porsche had these options, it would had added another $20K to the car easy. But old habits die hard, so I will most likely flash the high beams in place of the hand wave, because that is what Porsche had trained me to do lol. But thank you for the kind wishes and yes, I will post my initial reaction to my ownership in May. I ordered the car in NH and will be traveling with my road trip buddies for 4.5 hours up and 3 hours down, so I will have some quality time behind the wheel and hopefully still have my license. And yeah, the car makes wonderful noises at speed.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:32 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

At the behest of my Porsche-loving buddy, I test drove a 911 before deciding whether or not to purchase my 13th Corvette. I was coming out of six months with an SL550 and the Porsche was a welcome change as far handling and performance goes, but that was about it. Nothing about the car was impressive enough to warrant the ridiculous $130K price tag.

It was very nice: solid, fast, and great build quality....but beyond the obvious charms of being a great driver's car, it was boring as hell to me. Bland interior, bland exterior. Very little visual excitement....and after the jabbering, Porsche-elitist salesman spun the car out right in front of the nearby Chevy dealership, driving it was merely a formality for me by then. I had already made up my mind.

I had some trepidations about the C7. The early models I had seen were poorly painted and panels were misaligned. I walked away from the 2015 Z06 I ordered because after it arrived, my heart sank. I couldn't see spending $100K on car that had a few body panels that looked like somebody painted a pizza.

But after being Vette-less for eight months, I decided to check out a few 17's and the early build quality issues seemed to be a thing of the past. My GS arrived a couple of weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised. The paint is the best of any Corvette I've ever had, and the interior no longer has to make any apologies. It's world class.....and that's coming from a guy who just dumped an SL550 and a CLS63. I'm not saying the Vette interior is as nice the MB interiors, but it doesn't have to be. It's exactly what I would want and expect in an $80K sports car.

As far as the driving experience, again I give the nod to C7. I'm still in the break-in period so I really can't say what it feels like at WOT compared to the 911. I would guess the 911 would have the edge 0-60, but beyond that, the razor sharp handling and compliant ride make the 911 feel far less refined. Even in track mode, the GS is less punishing than the 911.

I'm sure life with this C7 will not be always be sunshine and rainbows, but at this point, and can't imagine finding a better car at twice the price. We'll.....maybe a Z06.
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
Skid Row Joe (02-19-2017), Virtual Geezer (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:34 AM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I have an older Porches and have lots of issues, mainly electrical. I have an older vette and have even more issues with it. My Prius has 444k miles and no issues. Buy what you like, expect something possibly to happen, or go buy a Toyota for a worry free experience
Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by JenFZ09
I have an older Porches and have lots of issues, mainly electrical. I have an older vette and have even more issues with it. My Prius has 444k miles and no issues. Buy what you like, expect something possibly to happen, or go buy a Toyota for a worry free experience
444k miles???? Is your commute from New York to Los Angeles??
Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I came close to buying a used Cayman S. They are great cars. I prefer them in some ways to the 911. But you just can't argue the budget factor of a C7, especially if you buy a low mileage used one.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:53 AM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
444k miles???? Is your commute from New York to Los Angeles??
I have a vacation house in PA that I visit often. My commute for work is 120 miles round trip and then figure 600 miles for the PA trip every week.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:52 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by JenFZ09
What year is your Prius? Have you replaced the big battery in the car yet?We have a 2011 with 135K miles. They don't break much.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
.....There are areas of my 3LT Leather interior that look like it came from an Elephant.
LMAO
Old 02-20-2017, 01:52 PM
0brixtonforged
Former Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Interesting thread as I just started a new thread over on the Jaguar Forum (I have been a member there for several years) making a comparison to my Jaguar XKR, Corvette C7, and Porsche Cayman 981. These are my impressions.

Here's the thread starter from the Jaguar Forum website:

Comparing Jaguar XKR, Porsche 981, Corvette C7 Stingray

As most of you know, I have some very nice choices of automobiles to drive. Most recently I added a 2015 Corvette C7 Stingray to my stable of premium sports cars.

A few members have asked for some comparisons and my thoughts. Please keep in mind these are personal impressions.

The stablemates:

2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible

2014 Porsche Cayman 981

2015 Corvette C7 Stingray

Ratings:

Sports Car Appearence:
1) Corvette C7 Stingray
2) Porsche Cayman 981
3) Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Vert

Luxury Appearence:
1) Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Vert
2) Porsche Cayman 981
3) Corvette C7 Stingray

Sports Car Interior Appearence
1) Corvette C7 Stingray
2) Porsche Cayman 981

Luxury Interior Appearence
1) Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition
2) Porsche Cayman 981
3) Corvette C7 Stingray

Smoothness of ride
2) Porsche Cayman 981
3) Corvette C7 Stingray

Engine Bay Appearence
2) Corvette C7 Stingray
3) Porsche Cayman 981 (No engine to look at)

Power Performance of Engine
2) Corvette C7 Stingray
3) Porsche Cayman 981

Exhaust Note or Sound
1) Corvette C7 Stingray
2) Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Vert
3) Porsche Cayman 981

Overall Driver Handling
1) Porsche Cayman 981
2) Corvette C7 Stingray

Interior Instrumentation Appearence
1) Corvette C7 Stingray
2) Porsche Cayman 981

Leather Interior Quality
2) Porsche Cayman 981
3) Corvette C7 Stingray

Overall Build Quality
2) Porsche Cayman 981
3) Corvette C7 Stingray

Exterior Paint Quality
2) Porsche Cayman 981
3) Corvette C7 Stingray

Acceleration
1) Corvette C7 Stingray (Non Supercharged)
2) Jaguar XKR Portfolio Editon Vert
3) Porsche Cayman 981

Telemetry
1) Corvette C7 Stingray
2) Porsche 0981
3)Jaguar Portfolio Edition Vert

Infotainment System
1) Corvette C7 Stingray
2) Porsche Cayman 981
3) Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition

Braking System Components
1) Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Vert (Alcon components)
2) Corvette C7 Stingray
3) Porsche Cayman 981

Best ride EVER!
1) Phoenix F1000 Formula Race Car

These are just a few thoughts. If you are interested in any other comparisons, I will anwser any questions.

All 3 of these beautiful sports cars are a true privledge to own and drive. Each decidely different. I am so very well pleased with all 3 of these premium automobiles
Loving your cars, also appreciate the info you put out as well!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

My Corvette is way nicer than the Prius, even if the C7 is a bit of a gas hog.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:30 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

This thread is about comparing a Corvette to a Porsche. Unless they have a comparable car, why bring a Toyota into it? Now if they build the new Supra.......

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 02-20-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 PM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I decided to check out a few 17's and the early build quality issues seemed to be a thing of the past.
I've seen a crap load of 16's and 17's with misaligned panels and orange peel ... including mine. To be honest, i have not seen a single Vette at any dealership that didnt have some type of panel gap/misalignment. Not a single one of my german cars that i've owned in the last 15 or so years have had ANY panel gaps or orange peel. But guess what? Just about every one of my American cars had em.

I would never take a porsche over a corvette, but god i wish American companies put cars together like the germans do. Its like they role their cars off the production line with pride, while we do the exact opposite.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by T_B
I've seen a crap load of 16's and 17's with misaligned panels and orange peel ... including mine. To be honest, i have not seen a single Vette at any dealership that didnt have some type of panel gap/misalignment. Not a single one of my german cars that i've owned in the last 15 or so years have had ANY panel gaps or orange peel. But guess what? Just about every one of my American cars had em.

I would never take a porsche over a corvette, but god i wish American companies put cars together like the germans do. Its like they role their cars off the production line with pride, while we do the exact opposite.
I would have agreed with you until I got mine....and whether or not this is typical now, mine is as good a C7 as I've seen....and it's as good as the two overpriced German cars I just got rid of. Maybe I got lucky, maybe not. Either way, I've got nothing to whine about.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
This thread is about comparing a Corvette to a Porsche. Unless they have a comparable car, why bring a Toyota into it? Now if they build the new Supra.......
Because....msg #169.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality