Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:14 PM
LrgZ51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the C7s are you guys talking about base car (mechanical diff) or z51 (e-diff) that leaks?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 AM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by LrgZ51
On the C7s are you guys talking about base car (mechanical diff) or z51 (e-diff) that leaks?
Base here.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Kilsallagh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
This is a condition that happened last winter to owners who drove their 2014 C7s in very cold weather. The differential axle seals were losing their resilience when very cold. One forum member who drove his C7 daily through the winter visited his dealer in Wheeling IL repeatedly last winter. They replaced the seals several times, then the differential, but that seal design just couldn't cope with the cold. Other cold weather C7 owners reported it too. Strangely usually the left side. It comes from up high enough that it doesn't seep enough oil to get really low, just an annoyance. Once the fluid level gets a bit lower the seepage diminishes. As of last spring GM was validation testing a new seal design to correct the issue, I'm guessing it might be in production by now. The situation went away last spring when it got warm but winter is here again. Not sure if there is a service bulletin or PI on this. One engineer mentioned that the seal was used on other GM models with no is issues but for some reason they can leak on C7s.

There is a new seal design, it's being installed on my '14 Z51, VIN 11,XXX, and I'll have it back on Monday. I'm in Iowa so we will have plenty of cold days left to see how it works. Had the problem last winter and had the seal replaced. Didn't have any issues during the spring, summer or fall.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilsallagh
There is a new seal design, it's being installed on my '14 Z51, VIN 11,XXX, and I'll have it back on Monday. I'm in Iowa so we will have plenty of cold days left to see how it works. Had the problem last winter and had the seal replaced. Didn't have any issues during the spring, summer or fall.
How's the new seal doing? Can you share the part number for the new seal? How long did the replacement take? Did your dealer provide a loaner? My drip continues even though KS temps are up around freezing.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Corvett4Ever
Advanced

This is the latest update.

Went to the dealer the other day and they check the vehicle and told me that the issue is because of the broken shaft seal. They didn’t have the parts available and asked me to come later because they have to order it. They didn’t know why this issue happened and I brought the car back home. They ask me to not to drive the car long distance.

Few days back I received a call from the dealer and they are saying that GM told that the parts are not available. As per the dealer GM is saying that parts are available now were slated for vehicle that are currently in production but not available to order separately

I'm little bit confused as when the dealer call me he said that the oil leak is because of the broken Axel seal. But the other day he told me that it is the Shaft seal. I'm not sure both are same or different, and then I ask him the part number so that I can make sure, but he told me that he don’t have the part number.

Now I'm waiting till their call. It really sucks. I bought the car last November and I was able to drive it around one month only then the snow started and car was in the garage for last 3 months and now the winter is almost over and roads are getting better but I cannot drive the car because GM don’t have parts to fix my car.

I'm bit worried because I'm not sure the leaking oils can cause any further damage like if that got in to the muffles or something.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:06 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Corvett4Ever
This is the latest update.

Went to the dealer the other day and they check the vehicle and told me that the issue is because of the broken shaft seal. They didn’t have the parts available and asked me to come later because they have to order it. They didn’t know why this issue happened and I brought the car back home. They ask me to not to drive the car long distance.

Few days back I received a call from the dealer and they are saying that GM told that the parts are not available. As per the dealer GM is saying that parts are available now were slated for vehicle that are currently in production but not available to order separately

I'm little bit confused as when the dealer call me he said that the oil leak is because of the broken Axel seal. But the other day he told me that it is the Shaft seal. I'm not sure both are same or different, and then I ask him the part number so that I can make sure, but he told me that he don’t have the part number.

Now I'm waiting till their call. It really sucks. I bought the car last November and I was able to drive it around one month only then the snow started and car was in the garage for last 3 months and now the winter is almost over and roads are getting better but I cannot drive the car because GM don’t have parts to fix my car.

I'm bit worried because I'm not sure the leaking oils can cause any further damage like if that got in to the muffles or something.

It will not hurt your car to drive it. Drive the darn thing. You have a leak, because it's cold, and the leak will lower the level but it's not draining out the entire supply of oil. It will stop seeping out when it warms up or when the oil level reaches the height of the axle shaft seal. At that point, you'll STILL have plenty of oil in the rear. Besides, it's warrantied and if they can't fix it and they tell you not to drive it, are they giving you a loaner until they get the part? Oh hell no they aren't!

If the rear locks up or clangs to high hell, then they can get a chance to replace the entire rear end. The new rear end will come with the seals your dealer can't seem to obtain.

Elmer
Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 AM
AndrewZPSU
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is doing it. I just found it like 2 weeks ago in my garage. I noticed the strong diff smell. There are 5k miles on mine.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Corvett4Ever
Advanced

Originally Posted by AndrewZPSU
Mine is doing it. I just found it like 2 weeks ago in my garage. I noticed the strong diff smell. There are 5k miles on mine.
hi AndrewZPSU

Did you go to the dealer to inspect it? What was the resolution you got for the issue?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 PM
66CorvetteCoupe
Pro

Default Corvette Leaks

All you guys are wrong, Corvettes don't leak they mark their spot, kinda like a Harley. Speaking of leaks my 03 drips one drop each night even though I just replaced the axle seals. Common problem i would say.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Kilsallagh
Advanced

Originally Posted by op z
How's the new seal doing? Can you share the part number for the new seal? How long did the replacement take? Did your dealer provide a loaner? My drip continues even though KS temps are up around freezing.
It took about a week to get the parts. I drove it only one day before we had a good snowstorm (late Feb) so I didn't drive it for a few days and then went on vacation and when I came back it was 60F. Anyway, the day I got it back it was very cold and no leaks. Real test will be next winter to see if it holds up. I drive it as long as roads are clear so it is out when many days in a row when it doesn't get above 10F or 15F and lows are sub-zero.

Sorry, can't find the part # at the moment. When I get it, I'll repost.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Corvett4Ever
Advanced

Originally Posted by 66CorvetteCoupe
All you guys are wrong, Corvettes don't leak they mark their spot, kinda like a Harley. Speaking of leaks my 03 drips one drop each night even though I just replaced the axle seals. Common problem i would say.
hmm really. my dealer asked me not to drive the car much until the axle seal replaced. So I'm waiting till they get it. it's more than two weeks now and still no parts available at GM
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 PM
SoSoSlow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is leaking too. Dealership replaced the seal between transmission and differential. It's still leaking and mechanic assured me it's not the axle seals. GM wants dealership to repeat the repair and take measurements. I guess it will spend another week at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Rear end oil leak