Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping brake pads between street and track

Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 AM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Swapping brake pads between street and track

I have been reading threads like this one about getting rid of brake squeal and dust by switching pads, like to the Carbotech 1521.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...es-squeek.html

So that makes me wonder for someone like me who is mostly street with occasional track, can I easily swap between sets of pads? For example, the 1521s on the street and then the original pads for the track?

I have searched and found similar discussions, but not a direct answer to this. Adam mentioned that switching between different Carbotech pads was easy, but what about between Carbotech and stock? Do I just have to go through the bedding procedure each time I switch? Is it better to spend the $$ and get a second set of rotors and swap them with the pads?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by FirehawkTA
I have been reading threads like this one about getting rid of brake squeal and dust by switching pads, like to the Carbotech 1521.

So that makes me wonder for someone like me who is mostly street with occasional track, can I easily swap between sets of pads? For example, the 1521s on the street and then the original pads for the track?

I have searched and found similar discussions, but not a direct answer to this. Adam mentioned that switching between different Carbotech pads was easy, but what about between Carbotech and stock? Do I just have to go through the bedding procedure each time I switch? Is it better to spend the $$ and get a second set of rotors and swap them with the pads?

Thanks for your help.
If you use the Carbotech pads for the street like the 1521 you don't need new rotors. All you need is a set of XP series pads. All Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other. Also, you will not need to re-bed any time you swap pads.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 02-13-2015, 12:31 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
If you use the Carbotech pads for the street like the 1521 you don't need new rotors. All you need is a set of XP series pads. All Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other. Also, you will not need to re-bed any time you swap pads.
Thanks, Adam. So the procedure is as simple as this?
Install 1521. Bed 1521. Install XP. Bed XP. Then swap whenever necessary with nothing else to do.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thanks, Adam. So the procedure is as simple as this?
Install 1521. Bed 1521. Install XP. Bed XP. Then swap whenever necessary with nothing else to do.
Yes, I can even make it simpler. I can sell you XP series pre bed so, just put them on before you go to the track they are good to go. Also the 1521 does not require bedding. Please call me at 216-780-8825 to order and we can discuss which XP series will work best for you. Pre bed cost is $20 an axle so, total extra $40.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 PM
sebring
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your help.

This weekend was my first track day ever. My (daily driver) 2010 C6 Grand Sport stock pads were about 1/2 to 2/3 worn. I didn't want to take a chance so I decided to get new pads. I decided on Carbotech and Adam recommended the XP8 (race pads). They were AWESOME. Made my first track day a huge success. My instructor could not believe how good the brakes were until I told him they were Carbotech pads, and then his reply was, "Well that explains a lot."
However (and I was warned), they were very loud on the street. After the track day, they have been very quiet for the past 2 days, but Adam says the embarrassing dump truck loud squeal will likely return. If so, then I will get a set of street pads and swap the pads prior to track or autocross events. I don't think you need to swap rotors.
I cannot speak for the 1521, but I highly recommend the CT XP8 for the track. Like I said, they were awesome.
Final thought:
The XP8 are not cheap, but I feel braking is what keeps you safe and I have no regrets with purchasing the XP8.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Thanks for the input, Sebring.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by sebring
This weekend was my first track day ever. My (daily driver) 2010 C6 Grand Sport stock pads were about 1/2 to 2/3 worn. I didn't want to take a chance so I decided to get new pads. I decided on Carbotech and Adam recommended the XP8 (race pads). They were AWESOME. Made my first track day a huge success. My instructor could not believe how good the brakes were until I told him they were Carbotech pads, and then his reply was, "Well that explains a lot."
However (and I was warned), they were very loud on the street. After the track day, they have been very quiet for the past 2 days, but Adam says the embarrassing dump truck loud squeal will likely return. If so, then I will get a set of street pads and swap the pads prior to track or autocross events. I don't think you need to swap rotors.
I cannot speak for the 1521, but I highly recommend the CT XP8 for the track. Like I said, they were awesome.
Final thought:
The XP8 are not cheap, but I feel braking is what keeps you safe and I have no regrets with purchasing the XP8.

Happy to hear

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping brake pads between street and track

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping brake pads between street and track