Sponsored by:

Tire Rotation - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
My tires are going to stay in there installed position until car is traded or they are worn beyond serviceable limits. Tires take a directional set and high speed tires are more prone. I see no real benefit performing this task.
Yup!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I amazes me that the manual is "right on" when telling you to change oil but "way outa whack" when it tells you to rotate your tires. I know we're a smart bunch of Corvette drivers, surely we know better than the engineers and tech writers out there.

Each to his own plan, me... I'm reading and following the manual.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
don't forget to swap over the TPMS too or have them reprogrammed.
Not needed, the C7 technology does it for you!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
Not needed, the C7 technology does it for you!
most of the time...see post #41
Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
the wheel vendors (and me) have found about 20% of the correct part # TPMS sensors don't auto-calibrate for some reason. Here's how you fix it without going to the dealer:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ere-s-how.html
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I rotated my tires this morning. The sensors reset themselves within a couple miles.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:56 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
I rotated my tires this morning. The sensors reset themselves within a couple miles.
Interesting. I rotated mine yesterday. Then I lowered the pressure in my left front tire to 24psi. Then I started the car and the monitor read LF 24. The car hadn't moved. I turned it off, pumped it back up to 30, started the car again and it read LF 30.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-my-tires.html
Old 02-26-2015, 04:21 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

I wanted to get Michelin's take on desireability of rotating our PSS tires so sent an email to Michelin Customer Care. I knew that we could rotate the tires, but was interested in some further detail on the issue of whether the tires do indeed take a "set" in response to major applied forces (braking in the case of front tires). Those forces would be reversed if the tires were swapped side to side. They responded with "...you may rotate side to side provided that the tires on your vehicle are not an asymmetrical tread design. Unfortunately, your Pilot Super Sport tires are in fact an asymmetrical tires, and therefore cannot be rotated side to side."

I replied back and mentioned the C7 manual recommendation that the tires be rotated and pointed out that the PSS's are not directional (they don't have "rotation" with an arrow on the sidewall), and that new tires can be installed on either side of the car. Here's their second response: "As stated in our email to you the Pilot Super Sport ZP tires you inquired about are NOT able to be rotated side to side. This is due to them being an asymmetrical tread designed tire, and the direction of rotation needs to stay the same."

So I called Customer Care, received the same story for a third time, and the rep even conferred with an associate who had the same opinion. I was also told that rotating the tires would void the warranty. I then asked for a phone contact for Tech Support or Engineering and was given a phone number that only allowed dealer access. Michelin's Customer Care is severely misinformed on this issue, not very functional in escalating customer inquiries, and I think I'm finished trying to get any further info from them.

Oh yeah, my decision on tire rotation: I think I will have my tires swapped side to side while it's in for an oil change. It probably won't hurt anything and just might add a bit of life to the tires.

Ernie
The following users liked this post:
Sixgun95 (09-06-2020)
Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ErnieD
I wanted to get Michelin's take on desireability of rotating our PSS tires so sent an email to Michelin Customer Care. I knew that we could rotate the tires, but was interested in some further detail on the issue of whether the tires do indeed take a "set" in response to major applied forces (braking in the case of front tires). Those forces would be reversed if the tires were swapped side to side. They responded with "...you may rotate side to side provided that the tires on your vehicle are not an asymmetrical tread design. Unfortunately, your Pilot Super Sport tires are in fact an asymmetrical tires, and therefore cannot be rotated side to side."

I replied back and mentioned the C7 manual recommendation that the tires be rotated and pointed out that the PSS's are not directional (they don't have "rotation" with an arrow on the sidewall), and that new tires can be installed on either side of the car. Here's their second response: "As stated in our email to you the Pilot Super Sport ZP tires you inquired about are NOT able to be rotated side to side. This is due to them being an asymmetrical tread designed tire, and the direction of rotation needs to stay the same."

So I called Customer Care, received the same story for a third time, and the rep even conferred with an associate who had the same opinion. I was also told that rotating the tires would void the warranty. I then asked for a phone contact for Tech Support or Engineering and was given a phone number that only allowed dealer access. Michelin's Customer Care is severely misinformed on this issue, not very functional in escalating customer inquiries, and I think I'm finished trying to get any further info from them.

Oh yeah, my decision on tire rotation: I think I will have my tires swapped side to side while it's in for an oil change. It probably won't hurt anything and just might add a bit of life to the tires.

Ernie
Thanks Ernie -- above and beyond! I've had mine rotated for a week and the only thing I've noticed is a much quieter ride.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm a follow the manual guy, but I'm also lazy.

I'll decide what to do when the C7 gets to 7,500 miles, but I can't see any harm in leaving them be like I did on my C5 and C6.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:39 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Thanks, ErnieD. Your post had me worried there for a bit, but I can rest easier after my decision to rotate mine, which was done yesterday. This was done at 25,000 miles, but they were wearing evenly. I didn't notice any difference , but I've only driven it 15 miles since then.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:39 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieD

Ernie
Thanks for the research Ernie. It reminds us that customer service people at Michelin, Chevrolet, and most other places are not experts. It's a lower level position. They receive some training but certainly don't have all the answers. Sometimes they might give an opinion as fact. Here the confusion seems to be between "asymmetrical" and "directional", and the part about voiding the warranty was definitely a personal opinion that was added.

There's a reason that many people still think tires take a "set" and can't be swapped to rotate the opposite way. American tire manufactures were slow to adopt radial tire technology. In the late 1960's Ford equipped certain luxury models with the excellent imported Michelin X radials. U.S. Tire manufacturers stuck with bias, then bias/belted (Polyglas) tires as long as possible before they were forced to invest in radial technology in the 1970's. But the new American OEM radial designs were not very durable in the early years. They were prone to belt shifting and ply separations and bulges. Firestone 500 radials were the worst, the subject of a huge safety recall.

To try and help with durability tire companies educated the public then that the new radial tires take a set and must always rotate the same way. Those delicate early radials are history, new tires have no such problems. For over 20 years now many car and truck owners manuals recommend rotating in an "x" pattern. Yet many technicians in their shops still stick to the old front-to-rear rotation pattern they were taught years ago.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:00 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Thanks for the research Ernie. It reminds us that customer service people at Michelin, Chevrolet, and most other places are not experts. It's a lower level position. They receive some training but certainly don't have all the answers. Sometimes they might give an opinion as fact. Here the confusion seems to be between "asymmetrical" and "directional", and the part about voiding the warranty was definitely a personal opinion that was added.

There's a reason that many people still think tires take a "set" and can't be swapped to rotate the opposite way. American tire manufactures were slow to adopt radial tire technology. In the late 1960's Ford equipped certain luxury models with the excellent imported Michelin X radials. U.S. Tire manufacturers stuck with bias, then bias/belted (Polyglas) tires as long as possible before they were forced to invest in radial technology in the 1970's. But the new American OEM radial designs were not very durable in the early years. They were prone to belt shifting and ply separations and bulges. Firestone 500 radials were the worst, the subject of a huge safety recall.

To try and help with durability tire companies educated the public then that the new radial tires take a set and must always rotate the same way. Those delicate early radials are history, new tires have no such problems. For over 20 years now many car and truck owners manuals recommend rotating in an "x" pattern. Yet many technicians in their shops still stick to the old front-to-rear rotation pattern they were taught years ago.
Pretty sad that Michelin doesn't provide competent customer service.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:18 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 2017 Corvette with PSS ZP Michelin's. Can anyone tell me what page in the owners manual says that it's recommended to rotate our tires "side to side", please.
I looked and I can't find the statement other thane a general comment on Rotating tires that apply to all cars.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:17 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

In the 2014 Manual it's on 10/46

Tire Rotation
The tires should be rotated
every 12 000 km/7,500 mi. See
Maintenance Schedule on
page 11-3.

Last edited by VETJAZZ; 08-05-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
In the 2014 Manual it's on 10/46

Tire Rotation
The tires should be rotated
every 12 000 km/7,500 mi. See
Maintenance Schedule on
page 11-3.
Thank You. Looks like the factory wants us to rotate. Good enough for me. They showed a picture in my book showing the rotation is side to side. Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've rotated mine side to side 3 times now. Currently have 27,000 miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Rotation - yes or no?

Old 08-05-2018, 08:20 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
I've rotated mine side to side 3 times now. Currently have 27,000 miles.
Reading this old Thread is funny! Folks are remembering when radials came out and the steel belts were not adhering to the rubber well. That was fixed years ago with the right copper alloy coating on the steel tread wire. Plus many belts are no longer steel! In those early days it was, "Only rotate radials front to back!"

Also the confusion between asymmetrical, which the C7 OEM tires are, i.e.different width inner and outer tread BUT they are NOT directional (those can only rotate one way) is interesting. My wife's SUV tires are also asymmetrical and like the C7 say "OUTER" on the sidewall. Therefore, like the C7, they can be rotated side to side without remounting as the word "OUTSIDE" will still be on the outside! (Note, it's more than tread width that is different. The inner and outer side wall construction is different as the outer tread on the outside tire in a turn receives the highest load!)

My street rod front tires have a directional tread and ARROW on the sidewall that shows the rotation direction. But the tread is symmetrical so there is no issue rotating side to side. Since they are smaller than the rears the only way they could be rotated is by removing from the rim and reversing! I'd never bother!

However there are tires that are directional and asymmetrical. They have a rotation arrow AND say right and left. They can only be rotated front to back, if the tires are the same size!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-05-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:35 PM
Corvetterwb
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I am amazed at the varied opinions on side to side rotation. Look at four brand new Michelin tires. They all look the same if they are laid out with the "outside" up. The inside and outside of the tread pattern is different. Put two on the left side and two on the right side and the tread will be going in opposite directions on the left and right. Since they are asymmetrical, rotating them from side to side is proper. My tires starting cupping on the inside edge. I rotated them side to side and the cupping is going away and they are quieter. Bottom line, do what you feel comfortable with. I will rotate per the manual.

Last edited by Corvetterwb; 08-05-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

^^

I have a favorite, safe, moderate speed, high "g" turn. It's a turn around the fountain at the end of my street. Grass field on the outside and not a home within a 1/2 mile. It's a single lane as the return road is on the other side with a wide divider between. Never any people as there is no place to walk since it leads to a 4 lane divided highway through farm country! The outside tread on the passenger side gets the most aggressive use. Will rotate side to side per the Owner's Manual and let the driver's side tire get a chace at controling that high "g" force!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-06-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation - yes or no?