Chevy says no wax on the C7 ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Chevy says no wax on the C7 ???

In the 2015 owner's manual, it states on page 10-83:

"Finish Care: Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended."

What does this mean? No wax?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:51 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by BIC

"Finish Care: Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended."

I can't wait to see the replies to this post.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 PM
sonnie
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC

Have never used ANY type of wax on any of my Corvettes since 1962..
I good grade of polish, and even some very inexpensive ones like NU-FINISH, do a good job or removing contaminents from the surface, and keeping the water beading for months and months... Chevrolet, back in the middle 70's had a severe problem with Corvettes that were left outside in the weather, and had wax applied to them.. They later discovered the water beading on top of the wax actually burned small circles into the paint surface from the sun.. GM refused to repaint those cars that had wax applied to them.. The water droplets were acting as small magnifying glasses when the sun finally came out and caused the UV rays to focus on the wax and ultimately burn the paint. Silver was the worst color for this phenomenon, and white paint had little to no effect..and almost no paint damage.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 PM
dpb
Racer

Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC

First you will have to obtain a GM Secret Agent De-coder Ring to figure out what that statement actually means.

Name:  decoder ring.jpg
Views: 3249
Size:  14.8 KB
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by sonnie
I good grade of polish, and even some very inexpensive ones like NU-FINISH, do a good job or removing contaminents from the surface, and keeping the water beading for months and months... Chevrolet, back in the middle 70's had a severe problem with Corvettes that were left outside in the weather, and had wax applied to them.. They later discovered the water beading on top of the wax actually burned small circles into the paint surface from the sun.. GM refused to repaint those cars that had wax applied to them.. The water droplets were acting as small magnifying glasses when the sun finally came out and caused the UV rays to focus on the wax and ultimately burn the paint. Silver was the worst color for this phenomenon, and white paint had little to no effect..and almost no paint damage.
Interesting but incredible. I would guess most Corvette owners like to see water beading on their paint.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

GM would prefer your brand new Stingray look like a POS rather then worry about paint problems or OP

Pretty simple: base coat/clear coat. Most OEM's have been doing that for decades. Probably depends on what you want as an end result:

1. Some don't care and their Vettes show it!
2. Many do the basics, and they enjoy their Corvette.
3. I would bet a lot of owners spend the time to keep their pride and
joy looking good, and spend some time detaling.
4. Quite a few garage queens/waxers. Looking good, but no miles.
5. BINGO!!! Then there is this group. Drive the BEST American
sports like it is meant to be (I see red line most times), but take
the time to make her look like a pageant queen.

Back to point, base coat/clear coat works very well with most of todays polish/sealers/waxes...
Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I good grade of polish, and even some very inexpensive ones like NU-FINISH....
I also use Nu-Finish, which is not wax but the manual says no sealant/wax, so that would seem to apply to any protectant, no matter what it's called.
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Maybe the key word in the GM statement is "aftermarket". Maybe they sell a product and want you to buy it.
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

So basically, if there's a sun shower and your car's outside you'd better get the drops off before schit hits the fan.......well maybe for you guys, me, not so much a worry.
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Polish and sealant (NuFinish) are 2 entirely different things. Polishing will remove contaminates but using a clay bar then polishing produces better results. NuFinish is a sealant just like Zaino, NXT, and hundreds of over sealants on the market.

If that is what's in the GM owners manual, that's one recommendation I have no intention of following.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Occasional hand waxing or mild
polishing should be done to remove
residue from the paint finish. See
your dealer for approved cleaning
products."

What was left out. This is listed after what the OP posted.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM
sonnie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray
First you will have to obtain a GM Secret Agent De-coder Ring to figure out what that statement actually means.

No decoder ring needed for that explanation... If you want to WAX your car, keep it inside.. A good grade of polish is the way to go. Paints and finishes have come a long way since the 70's, but the sun does have an adverse effect on waxes applied over paint.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:07 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

No decoder ring needed for that explanation... If you want to WAX your car, keep it inside.. A good grade of polish is the way to go. Paints and finishes have come a long way since the 70's, but the sun does have an adverse effect on waxes applied over paint.
You keep saying polish. POLISH is not something left on your car. NuFinish is a SEALANT. You polish prior to sealing and all polish must be removed. You're welcome to you opinion but at least get the terminology correct.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:09 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray

Old 02-17-2015, 10:23 PM
sonnie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
You keep saying polish. POLISH is not something left on your car. NuFinish is a SEALANT. You polish prior to sealing and all polish must be removed. You're welcome to you opinion but at least get the terminology correct.
I beg to differ with you...NuFinish liquid is a polish... Its not a sealant..
NuFinish does make a sealant in a can, but the liquid is a true polish.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

So you polish your cars and leave them totally unprotected? Polish provides zero protection. If so, WOW, just WOW. I'm out.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy says no wax on the C7 ???

Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I've been waxing my cars for years. Damn I really screwed up!!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yeah, not true, i know the inventor, its a sealant, not a polish at all..i realize the bottle calls it a polish, but.....its not

If fact, its sister product is rejex.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-17-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:42 PM
sonnie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
So you polish your cars and leave them totally unprotected? Polish provides zero protection. If so, WOW, just WOW. I'm out.
The paint on the Vette doesn't need protection from any wax's or sealants.. what it does need is to be kept clean, and polish does the best job for that.. When u make a statement about something, u need to be sure your right before making an off the wall remark. Try googling NuFinish, and read the label..

Quick Reply: Chevy says no wax on the C7 ???