Sponsored by:

DIY C7 Z51 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 PM
hedonistcpl32507
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY C7 Z51 oil change

AW 3LT C7 Z51 has been built as of Feb 7th. Still waiting for delivery to selling dealership. So while I wait I spend a good deal of time here gathering information. Perhaps the most discussions I have seen so far are either about mods or service/oil changes. With respect to oil changes, GM pays for 5 (for Z51) within 2 years. I read also of fears that dealerships cannot or do not properly change the oil (wrong oil, not Mobile 1- not draining from two oil plugs- adding too much oil so that it backs up into air intake, leaving the engine compartment a mess- oil leaks- hassle of waiting for oil change- etc.) Some on here suggest we do the oil changes ourselves- and maybe that is a good idea. My question is whether anyone has contacted GM Customer Service to see if they would supply the Mobil One and filter for DIY oil changes. It would cost them less than paying the dealership for the labor and oil. Seems a win-win situation for those who enjoy doing basic maintenance on their Stingrays and saves GM a miniscule amount of coin in the process. Has anyone found a dealership which will just provide the oil and filter and wish you a good day? Has anyone even approached a dealership? Tell me if I am just plain crazy on this- no offense will be taken - newbie here who does oil changes on his Jeep Rubicon rather than mess with waiting around a dealership waiting for the free oil change.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yeah, a dealer or gm wont do that....
Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Forget it. It costs me about 90 bucks for the oil I use and I don't want anyone doing my oil change. If something breaks under warranty, I will go to my dealer. Otherwise, I'll pay the money and do my own. At least I'll know it was done right.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:54 PM
jdf14
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maybe

Originally Posted by hedonistcpl32507
AW 3LT C7 Z51 has been built as of Feb 7th. Still waiting for delivery to selling dealership. So while I wait I spend a good deal of time here gathering information. Perhaps the most discussions I have seen so far are either about mods or service/oil changes. With respect to oil changes, GM pays for 5 (for Z51) within 2 years. I read also of fears that dealerships cannot or do not properly change the oil (wrong oil, not Mobile 1- not draining from two oil plugs- adding too much oil so that it backs up into air intake, leaving the engine compartment a mess- oil leaks- hassle of waiting for oil change- etc.) Some on here suggest we do the oil changes ourselves- and maybe that is a good idea. My question is whether anyone has contacted GM Customer Service to see if they would supply the Mobil One and filter for DIY oil changes. It would cost them less than paying the dealership for the labor and oil. Seems a win-win situation for those who enjoy doing basic maintenance on their Stingrays and saves GM a miniscule amount of coin in the process. Has anyone found a dealership which will just provide the oil and filter and wish you a good day? Has anyone even approached a dealership? Tell me if I am just plain crazy on this- no offense will be taken - newbie here who does oil changes on his Jeep Rubicon rather than mess with waiting around a dealership waiting for the free oil change.
Since the dealer gets a rebate from the Mfg, Ask the dealer if they would give you the oil and filter, I don't see why they would not agree since they would get credit for the oil change. Guess it could be a problem if they have the Mobil1 in bulk instead of quarts. So, you may want to be sure you have a container to take bulk oil. I would call the service manager at the dealership and speak to him.
Tell us how it went.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY C7 Z51 oil change

Quick Reply: DIY C7 Z51 oil change