Sponsored by:

BG to Toledo to BG back to Toledo

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:13 AM
Youngwerth
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BG to Toledo to BG back to Toledo

I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Corvette and following the status as it goes through the process. My car had a TPW of 2/9, was built 2/6 and was at status 4B00 bayed in Toledo on 2/11. I was excited and hopeful my car was going to make it to Idaho in early March. When I got back from vacation and checked in earlier this week, I learned my car was at status 4300 Intermediate Delivery. The response I got from GM was, "A final review is part of our standard procedures for a launch vehicle. Once the review for each vehicle is completed, the vehicle will be shipped to the dealer." Today my car is back to 4B00 and is bayed in Toledo.

So it looks like my car went BG to Toledo, back to BG for some sort of QC check and now two weeks later is back in Toledo waiting for a train. Anybody else seen this?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

4B00 is bayed at BG. My guess your car was given a QC at BG and after the QC was completed (can take up to two weeks) was transported by truck to Toledo. Never heard of a car being transported to Toledo and returned to BG for QC check. Your car will stay at Toledo until a railcar load can be filled for your area, I think they hold 15-18 cars.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
4B00 is bayed at BG. My guess your car was given a QC at BG and after the QC was completed (can take up to two weeks) was transported by truck to Toledo. Never heard of a car being transported to Toledo and returned to BG for QC check. Your car will stay at Toledo until a railcar load can be filled for your area, I think they hold 15-18 cars.
Toledo sure confuses me. They used to have a loading area in northern Cincinnati but Nashville or Louisville are even closer, seems like Detroit would not be that much further! What special need does Toledo Offer, anyone know?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:20 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
Toledo sure confuses me. They used to have a loading area in northern Cincinnati but Nashville or Louisville are even closer, seems like Detroit would not be that much further! What special need does Toledo Offer, anyone know?
Trains.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Being able to mix in vetts with other vehicles going to specific parts of country. They don't usually put one vett on railcars that hold 14 or so cars.
z51vett
Doug
Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Youngwerth
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Just checked status again with chevy chat and I'm at status 4300, in transit to Toledo. WTF? Now I'm not even sure that it ever went back to 4B00 after going to 4300 (my dealer gave me that update). Chat says they are very sorry that I was given wrong information. Car was built almost a month ago, hit Toledo on 2/11 and has been at this status 4300 in transit back to Toledo for at least 10 days. Based on what I've read here this doesn't seem right. I posted on the order tracking thread, hoping to get a better answer.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
JUSTCRZN
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not know they shipped to Boise by rail. I'm in Meridian. Good luck getting it figuired out.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:05 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
This was a thread I started awhile back when I was waiting for mine to get to the west coast. I never understood or got an answer from the higher ups who watch this site. It makes no since why the cars get trucked to Toledo when you have a railhead at Lexington KY. The CSX trains run right threw Lexington. You could move the operation and personal to Lexington, its better weather and closer to B/G WTF .
Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Actually Toledo makes some sense for GM to rail ship cars out west from , they have Ohio and Michigan assembly operations with multiple vehicles built , the C7 is built just down the road on I75 , Toledo is kinda in the centre of all those plants geographically. The C7 would obviously be a low production vehicle as compared to the others being built so they load them up onto trains with the Cruze , Cadillac, Sonic, Silverado's, Volt's, Impala , Acadia , Traverse, all built within a couple of hours drive of Toledo. You need more than a railroad line, they would probably have a large secure storage yard, a spur line and a lot of folks that work there to load the trains up. You have to be able to manage all the trucks coming in to offload vehicles , the storage of the vehicles and tracking what goes where by rail car. To be efficient you would want this all centralized in one area, looking at the map Toledo makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by C7DriverOnt; 03-02-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Actually Toledo makes some sense for GM to rail ship cars out west from , they have Ohio and Michigan assembly operations with multiple vehicles built , the C7 is built just down the road on I75 , Toledo is kinda in the centre of all those plants geographically. The C7 would obviously be a low production vehicle as compared to the others being built so they load them up onto trains with the Cruze , Cadillac, Sonic, Silverado's, Volt's, Impala , Acadia , Traverse, all built within a couple of hours drive of Toledo. You need more than a railroad line, they would probably have a large secure storage yard, a spur line and a lot of folks that work there to load the trains up. You have to be able to manage all the trucks coming in to offload vehicles , the storage of the vehicles and tracking what goes where by rail car. To be efficient you would want this all centralized in one area, looking at the map Toledo makes a lot of sense.
I can't argue with the geographically aspect of your reply, but Toledo isn't just down the road from B/G it's 450+ miles from B/G. As to the other aspects of your reply, all those item could be found and or located in Lexington. Plus the aspect of shorter travel times especially during bad weather makes Lexington a better choice than Toledo.Imho
Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to be a Debbie Downer BUT I doubt it was sent back to the plant. It could however have been sent somewhere for a damage repair that happened at the rail head. Make sure you look that car over really well once it arrives. You can also call the plant and ask for the plant managers office and ask the person who answers the phone if indeed they were recalled or if they can look up and find out what the problem really was at the rail head. Have your order number when calling.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 03-02-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Youngwerth
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ArcticC7
Not to be a Debbie Downer BUT I doubt it was sent back to the plant. It could however have been sent somewhere for a damage repair that happened at the rail head. Make sure you look that car over really well once it arrives. You can also call the plant and ask for the plant managers office and ask the person who answers the phone if indeed they were recalled or if they can look up and find out what the problem really was at the rail head. Have your order number when calling.
That's basically what I'm concerned with. Where can I get the number for the plant? My dealer (MacMulkin) just sent me the finance paperwork which includes an acceptance letter that I acknowledge the vehicle as delivered is ok. Not real excited about signing that one until I can get a straight answer about this and can inspect the vehicle.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:29 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Youngwerth
That's basically what I'm concerned with. Where can I get the number for the plant? My dealer (MacMulkin) just sent me the finance paperwork which includes an acceptance letter that I acknowledge the vehicle as delivered is ok. Not real excited about signing that one until I can get a straight answer about this and can inspect the vehicle.
Call the main plant number tomorrow. The security desk will answer then just ask for the plant managers office. Explain the situation I find them to be very willing to help customers and they can get the information you need.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by stillcrazy
I can't argue with the geographically aspect of your reply, but Toledo isn't just down the road from B/G it's 450+ miles from B/G. As to the other aspects of your reply, all those item could be found and or located in Lexington. Plus the aspect of shorter travel times especially during bad weather makes Lexington a better choice than Toledo.Imho
The C7 production is very small compared to other brands, the need to load them on rail even smaller. It makes a whole lot of sense to drive a transport carrier with a load of C7's down I75 for 6 hours rather than set up up a separate loading facility close by. Totally inefficient when you have a facility set up in Toledo already for much larger numbers of vehicles to reproduce that near B/G. If you have ever seen the size of the facilities they set up for transportation you would get the sense of the cost , these are big operations with tight security to prevent theft. Scale is important in the auto industry.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

I definitely would not sign that the car was 'delivered' (sales manager asked me twice, end of Sept. 2014 and end of Oct. 2014, wasn't picking it up until Nov. 1st--paperwork dated 11/1/14). It's not for your benefit, it's for theirs.
(Car was built 9/15/14, shipped 10/20/14)
Old 03-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Youngwerth
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mikez06
I definitely would not sign that the car was 'delivered' (sales manager asked me twice, end of Sept. 2014 and end of Oct. 2014, wasn't picking it up until Nov. 1st--paperwork dated 11/1/14). It's not for your benefit, it's for theirs.
(Car was built 9/15/14, shipped 10/20/14)
Good news for me, the car is finally on a train out of Toledo, just about 1 month after being built!

I talked to the sales manager, he said I can hold off on the paperwork until I can inspect my car. Hopefully it will be in good shape when it arrives.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
17gs (12-08-2016)
Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Youngwerth
Good news for me, the car is finally on a train out of Toledo, just about 1 month after being built!
I talked to the sales manager, he said I can hold off on the paperwork until I can inspect my car. Hopefully it will be in good shape when it arrives.
Thanks.
That was roughly my timeline. Shipped from BG to New Boston, MI's distribution center from 9/17/14, then sat awaiting railcar assignment until 10/20. I tell the sales manager what I'm doing, that I am the one not doing paperwork until date of car pickup. They don't do me any favors, I don't do them any.
I'm sure your car will be in great shape , let us know.

Get notified of new replies

To BG to Toledo to BG back to Toledo

Old 03-03-2015, 11:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hope your car gets there very soon. I know the wait has to be frustrating.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 AM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude I feel your pain, the only thing worse is actually living in Toledo and having your car shipped here and not being able to pick it up. I ordered my car from a Columbus dealer and my car stayed in the yard here for 2 weeks! Even worse is I work for Chrys (in management) and the central depot where they store all of the cars is near my plant. They make sure that the area where they keep the cars is inaccessible however I did find and see where they keep the vettes, lol, I drove by the spot 4 or 5 times and sure enough one day when there was a couple of empty rows where vettes had been, my dealer was calling me the next day and saying that had received her!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 AM
JUSTCRZN
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on getting some answers. See you around Boise soon. What color did you get?

Quick Reply: BG to Toledo to BG back to Toledo