Manual or Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

DAFFYDRUNK,

I suspect you are:

1. Under estimating how quickly things can go into "emergency". We're talking split seconds if you've ever been in one.

2. Under estimating how quickly you can get into the "right" gear in split seconds.

3. Under Estimating how quickly an automatic will get into the right gear with a floored gas pedal.

How many emergencies will require to jump out of an overdrive gear. Only one could save your life, If it happens.

I agree that defensive driving is the key. Accelerating out of an impending collision is defensive.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:05 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
DAFFYDRUNK,

I suspect you are:

1. Under estimating how quickly things can go into "emergency". We're talking split seconds if you've ever been in one.

2. Under estimating how quickly you can get into the "right" gear in split seconds.

3. Under Estimating how quickly an automatic will get into the right gear with a floored gas pedal.

How many emergencies will require to jump out of an overdrive gear. Only one could save your life, If it happens.

I agree that defensive driving is the key. Accelerating out of an impending collision is defensive.

I'm 44. Been daily driving stick my whole life. Probably a realistic 400k miles driving stick. Most of that in a T56 based car of which the new M7 is based on. Only 2 collisions (so far) I've had were low speed in parking lots and involved looking at cute college girls. Plenty of emergencies though. They got handled. In emergency mode I'm not even consciously aware of what I'm doing with the clutch and trans. It just happens subconsciously. Usually it's an emergency stop, so hopefully the subconscious throws is in neutral so I don't kill the motor.

I can see your argument on technical grounds, especially if the driver is newb stick driver, but in the real world the overwhelming emergency scenarios will require a steering and/or braking event. It will be very rare to need to accel. Maybe to avoid a rear end collision? But usually rear end collision scenarios pop up because someone in front of you stopped on a dime. In that case you got nowhere to go except to the insurance adjuster and then the body shop.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

in the real world the overwhelming emergency scenarios will require a steering and/or braking event. It will be very rare to need to accel.

I agree 100%. But given a preference, I like to have as many options as possible.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
This. The circlejerk over here has gotten very old. This section is like a bunch of teenage girls always looking to either coddle their egos or get affirmation that they're doing the cool/best/in thing. Buy what you like, don't worry about what others think, and actually enjoy your cars/lives. I've never seen people worry about the stupidest **** in my life.
I think you're way off base about affirmation. People usually buy what they like, but sometimes they don't know what that is and need some time to think things through. This is especially true with a car that starts at $50K. I suggest that you avoid threads where issues like this are discussed since it seems to irritate you so much.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:22 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
in the real world the overwhelming emergency scenarios will require a steering and/or braking event. It will be very rare to need to accel.

I agree 100%. But given a preference, I like to have as many options as possible.

I guess I can see that. And I'm not really even trying to find reasons to skip the A8. It seems pretty cool from the 15 or so minutes I played with my dad's new Z51, just not another $1800 cool.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM
CajundpCorvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My C7 Z06 is the first of seven corvettes that I have owned which will have an automatic transmission. I ordered it with some trepidation, however, I believe it is the future of all sports cars. Ferrari announced recently that they are no longer going to produce cars with manual gearboxes. It is entirely possible that within a few years that an M7 will not even be an available option. This could mean that, down the road, those cars with the M7 transmission even have more "collectability." Also, aside from the higher option price of automatic, you have the additional "gas guzzler" tax, which is not placed on the M7.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Thought Tadge did a very good job of explaining the A8 overheating in Atlanta (in Ask Tadge.) Was not a problem until they did multiple qualifying type laps and in one car it lost its belt tightener, which he noted was a test part. When you invite Mags have to expect them to make a big deal of an issue. Can't blame them, they assume you tested the cars they will drive to the nth degree!
He did. Read all of what Tadge said-not a ringing endorsement of an A8 on the track. And that instance he talks about isn't the only report of heat management issues-there's posts by one instructor level driver and another owner who said he did an MSRP to MSRP swap auto trans to m7 after lawyering up against GM because his auto trans overheating mid session. And a few magazine articles. Again, this is the Internet with all that implies.

Perhaps too soon to tell how hard one can or cannot push the A8 in a HPDE but a buyer choosing transmissions and wanting to track should be aware of what's being said and written.

Multiple laps is the norm on DE's-20 minute run sessions and at least here in TX much hotter than 86 degrees ambient temperatures GM views as normal.

If I wanted a track car, I'm not coming away all warm and fuzzy on the A8 based on what Tadge posted in the ask Tadge forum. Hence - you can go wrong when choosing between A8 and M7. LLAP
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster99t
He did. Read all of what Tadge said-not a ringing endorsement of an A8 on the track. And that instance he talks about isn't the only report of heat management issues-there's posts by one instructor level driver and another owner who said he did an MSRP to MSRP swap auto trans to m7 after lawyering up against GM because his auto trans overheating mid session. And a few magazine articles. Again, this is the Internet with all that implies.

Perhaps too soon to tell how hard one can or cannot push the A8 in a HPDE but a buyer choosing transmissions and wanting to track should be aware of what's being said and written.

Multiple laps is the norm on DE's-20 minute run sessions and at least here in TX much hotter than 86 degrees ambient temperatures GM views as normal.

If I wanted a track car, I'm not coming away all warm and fuzzy on the A8 based on what Tadge posted in the ask Tadge forum. Hence - you can go wrong when choosing between A8 and M7. LLAP
Agree if in Texas or on a hot day in Atlanta etc., I'd get a bigger trans cooler. Might have to put one in series in the cooling line and find a place to mount it. Sounds like heat is the issue.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I like shifting and the way I feel more connected to the car with a manual.

Most of my cars in almost 40 years of driving have been manuals because I just like them.

I've been driving manuals in heavy traffic for decades, don't let that stop you.

My first corvette was an auto and I promised myself the next one would be manual, and all three of them have been.

The manual is less expensive on the C7. What's not to love?!

Last edited by Indy-hp; 03-02-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Had many cars and I'll say, buy whatever you want. But as for me, with sticks all I can say is: "Been there done that!" So that's why I'm moving on!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 PM
flytrade
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course this is a personal decision. However, I have a manual 928, a manual 2014 Mustang GT, and the manual C7. In my humble opinion, when you have an automatic transmission you are riding in the car, but when you have a manual transmission you are participating in the enjoyment of getting the car from one position to another. However, I am not a proponent of the rev match system. I believe they are trying to take the driver out of the car. Every time I make a good shift, I'd pat myself on the back. Every time I make a bad shift, I kick myself in the you know where. I think it just depends, in my humble opinion, how much you enjoy driving versus riding.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Actually, the person riding is in the other seat.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
I like shifting and the way I feel more connected to the car with a manual.
I hear you, brother. Driving has never been the same on these complicated new cars since they took away spark and throttle from the wheel. Those were the good old days!

Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by KemahGT
I hear you, brother. Driving has never been the same on these complicated new cars since they took away spark and throttle from the wheel. Those were the good old days!
it won't be long and they will take away the steering wheel from the steering wheel. how will you feel when it is just a grab handle?

to me, an automatic is for both ends of the spectrum, daily driving or competitive drag racing (also road racing if it is the right kind of auto, ie. no torque converter and if it is properly prepared for it which the A8 in stock form is not).

a manual is for everything in between - you can daily drive it if you want, you have more classic control of the car's actions, you can drag race it, and it is still better on a road course whether the computer nerds like it or not (at least with the Corvette).

just like you would not buy a 3500HD for the gas mileage and you would not buy a Prius for off road and towing ability, you buy an auto or manual transmission based on your intended usage and what you enjoy getting from a driving experience.

it's no different from asking people if you should paint your house blue or green. you will get equal amounts of blues and greens, those that debate the hue and tone, and those that say to go with brick. no one and everyone is right, which makes it a fruitless argument that cannot possibly end in your decision.

as with everything else in your life, choose your own path.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Get the manual
Old 03-03-2015, 07:07 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

I think a lot (maybe most) of the options are subjective and will be prioritized differently depending upon personal interests. But I have never understood how someone could be on the fence regarding manual vs. auto. To me they are fundamentally different and I can't image how someone could not feel strongly one way or the other.

I find the many, many threads on this topic interesting, but odd...
Old 03-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
I think a lot (maybe most) of the options are subjective and will be prioritized differently depending upon personal interests. But I have never understood how someone could be on the fence regarding manual vs. auto. To me they are fundamentally different and I can't image how someone could not feel strongly one way or the other.

I find the many, many threads on this topic interesting, but odd...
You either want a manual or you don't!

Get notified of new replies

To Manual or Auto?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:34 AM
ddman718
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its your daily driver go auto. If it's your weekend fun car go manual.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
You either want a manual or you don't!
Simple as that. If you are on the fence, get the auto.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Let's talk about something important.......like 8 track or cassette.
I can't believe a thread like this comes up once a week & lasts for several pages with the same arguments as last week.

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto?